Me again...this time with a new chain- Mtbr.com
    get down!

Idea! Me again...this time with a new chain

okay, here I sit, bike ready to work on so I can ride to work tommorow.

I bought a chain..a Mavic 9/10 speed chain, I talked to the other mech at the shop and we put the chain on the ring and everything looked good. not much play side to side, looked right. Again I have the suffering and king rear....or the suffering and shimano dx rear....

Soooo, should I.... A) set it up singlespeed with the Am classic rear with bolt on skewer and 185 avid disc

B) set it up singlespeed with the XT converted to DX 15mm bolt on rear with 185 avid disc

C) set it up singlspeed with the Am Classic rear with bolt on skewer and Ritchey V brake

D) set it up singlespeed with the XT converted to DX 15mm bolt on rear with Ritchey V brake

E) set it up 1x9 even though I have no bash guard or jump stop with avid disc

F) set it up 1x9 even though I have no bash guard or jump stop with Ritchey V brake

G) what the hell are you doing with that chain, we said PC 58 foo!

my only deal is this is getting expensive,(even with shop employee cost the chain cost a grip) I'm tired of it, I just want to ride. if I can't ride again I'll flip out

I think I'm going custom anyway so this would be just enough to get me there, although I won't have to go custom if I can get this **** to work

Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

Squalor
    Jan 2004

I'm confused...

This is getting expensive...but you want to go custom...I dunno...if you think buying a new chain is expensive, you should really take a closer look at the price of those fancy custom bikes...they are <b>REAL</b> expensive!

Good Luck Anyway,
    Lance

BTW - When did they come out with 10 speed chains?

get down!
    I dunno when 10 spd chains came out but they are expensive...campy 10's are over 50 dollars

yeah this is getting expensive, but I've pinpointed the problem.....

my Jericho ring is totally beefed, weird cause I didn't even ride it 2 miles and it's already bent...sucks for me....I must put out like 10 million watts or something, I'm always breaking chains, now chainrings?

mandingo, I hope the spot can hold up to my abuse.

so far I've bought 2 new chains...PC1 and now this Mavic 10 spd total of like $50
    1 Surly Tuggnutt @ 22.00
    1 new wheel @ 99.00
    add to that the new ring and bashguard plus bolts
    it's getting pretty expensive to simplify my riding haha

I gotta have an EBB, once I get this all set up I know I'm gonna flat and have to mess with the Karate Monkey crazyness on the rear....retrotec anyone?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed

I bought a chain..a Mavic 9/10 speed chain, I talked to the other mech at the shop and we put the chain on the ring and everything looked good. not much play side to side, looked right. Again I have the suffering and king rear....or the suffering and shimano dx rear....

Soooo, should I.... A) set it up singlespeed with the Am classic rear with bolt on skewer and 185 avid disc

B) set it up singlespeed with the XT converted to DX 15mm bolt on rear with 185 avid disc

C) set it up singlspeed with the Am Classic rear with bolt on skewer and Ritchey V brake

D) set it up singlespeed with the XT converted to DX 15mm bolt on rear with Ritchey V brake

F) set it up 1x9 even though I have no bash guard or jump stop with Ritchey V brake

my only deal is this is getting expensive,(even with shop employee cost the chain cost a grip) I'm tired of it, I just want to ride. if I can't ride again I'll flip out

I think I'm going custom anyway so this would be just enough to get me there, although I won't have to go custom if I can get this **** to work

1) You do not need an expensive chain. A cheap Shimano or SRAM works fine.

2) Forget about putting a DX freehub body on your XT hub. It is a waste of money and will screw up your chainline. You can (and did from your previous posts) still put in a bolt on axle with the XT freehub body.

3) Rear axles are 10 mm, not 15.

4) "...we put the chain on the ring and everything looked good. not much play side to side, looked right..."
    Do you really understand what a straight chainline is? It is not side-to-side play on the chainring.

4) You are making this harder than it needs to be.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Throw logic at it, not money

Why would a custom frame, or any other frame, not exhibit the same problems that you're having with the KM?

Chainline, chainline, chainline.
    How are you measuring the chainline, or determining if it is straight?

KgB
    SNGLSPD

singlespeeds are supposed to be simple

put some dam parts on it and ride it.
    Did I read that you are a mechanic at a shop?
    I've been inside too long.

get down!
    dang, sounds like yall are more pissed than me, hahaha

yeah I just got a job as a mechanic so I'm new, but I know a good bit already

which means that I know what chainline is and I know that mine is slightly off now, but before I had a cassette cog and it was slightly off as well so I don't think that was the contributing factor.

I also know that expensive chains won't solve the problem but this one was one of the only 9 spd chains, that wasn't shimano besides a Sram 89-r? sooooo I just got this one and it looks aiiight

I'm trying to put some parts on it and ride it, that's the point, I keep breaking parts...I forgot to say that I bent the hell out of a dimension disc fork a while back...just riding along

www.justthebonnet.com
    Damn if you are a mechanic I am never taking my bikes to a LBS again. Thank god I do all my work once and do it right :P

Seriously though, just put some damn wheels on this thing and ride. I agree with KgB, I got a singlespeed cause it requires hardly any maintenance and thought, just clean it, lube it and ride that biatch hard and feel the knees burn!!!!!

KgB
    SNGLSPD

SS's are a great

learning experience.
    I've been inside too long.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    dang, sounds like yall are more pissed than me, hahaha

yeah I just got a job as a mechanic so I'm new, but I know a good bit already

which means that I know what chainline is and I know that mine is slightly off now, but before I had a cassette cog and it was slightly off as well so I don't think that was the contributing factor.

I also know that expensive chains won't solve the problem but this one was one of the only 9 spd chains, that wasn't shimano besides a Sram 89-r? sooooo I just got this one and it looks aiiight

I'm trying to put some parts on it and ride it, that's the point, I keep breaking parts...I forgot to say that I bent the hell out of a dimension disc fork a while back...just riding along
    It might be because you asked basically the same questions on the old board in Nov, Dec and Jan. You where given the same suggestions and it seems you have ignored them, especially the one that the Suffering is designed for 8-speed and wider chains, not 9-speed.

And you were not JRA when you trashed the fork http://forums13.consumerreview.com/[email protected]/2
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I am the owl

Idea!

which means that I know what chainline is and I know that mine is slightly off now,
    If you keep breaking chains and you also keep dropping your chain AND your chainline is off, your chainline is your problem. Fix that and life will be better.

And don't use a 9 speed chain.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Maybe I've missed something, but why not just use a $12 PC58 8spd chain?

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy©®™
    It might be because you asked basically the same questions on the old board in Nov, Dec and Jan. You where given the same suggestions and it seems you have ignored them, especially the one that the Suffering is designed for 8-speed and wider chains, not 9-speed.

And you were not JRA when you trashed the fork http://forums13.consumerreview.com/[email protected]/2
    just what i was thinking. i have noticed you change your bike as often as jenna jameson takes it in the pooper. always seem to have something new... a cannondale, gunnar, the KM. i am probably missing some...

setting up the drivetrain on an SS is easy, dude. cheapo chain. chainline doesnt even need to be right on, just close. i cant believe you work in a bike shop. well, i guess i can.

in any case. take a deep breath. get it dialed in or take it to an experienced mechanic. and then dont touch it for 1000 miles, at least. dont change bikes. dont order a custom. dont change ratios. just ride it!

i read that link shiggy posted about bending a rigid fork. JRA, huh? i cant believe you didnt get hurt, like sprained wrists or neck or something. those forks are really really strong. must be something else going on here, like the chainline thing.

oohh... warmth outside. i can hear the snow melting.
    Only boring people get bored.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    i have noticed you change your bike as often as jenna jameson takes it in the pooper.
    You get the prize for the line of the day.

I think I've got a pair of used cycling shorts around here somewhere...
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    You get the prize for the line of the day.

I think I've got a pair of used cycling shorts around here somewhere...
    come up for 24 hours of dalton and i'll wear them on my head for a lap.
    Only boring people get bored.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    come up for 24 hours of dalton and i'll wear them on my head for a lap.
    You are really going to hate it if I take you up on that...
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

The name's Norm...
    I think he has already broke a $12 chain and wants to try to break a $50 chain!

get down!
    WOW! not only do I have stalkers, but stalkers with high blood pressure...this is great

first off l could post the same question once a month if I wanted to, just don't reply to it..it's as simple as that.

and if I want to switch mountain bikes every month, I'll do it...I can afford to do it and I also enjoy doing it, I mostly ride my SS roadie anyway...so you can play that Jenna Jameson roll if you want to

I also did just get a job at a bike shop, I've wanted to for a long time....they called me when they had an opening and I took the job...actually quit my other job to work there. I don't know a lot now, more than the average person...but I've been amazed at all the stuff I don't really know about bikes, cheaper and older ones in general, that I'm learning. I've worked at the shop 2 weeks and I already hate the people like you that come into the shop

I guess this pisses you off because you figure I don't ride my bike as much as you and don't know as much about bikes as you and that's fine, I'm cool with that, think what you want, but you can save the holier than thou attitude man, you're no better than the guys pushing 5,000 dollar singlespeeds because yours cost $5...it's all the same attitude elitists and under elitists one in the same

Penis Goat!
    WOW! not only do I have stalkers, but stalkers with high blood pressure...this is great

first off l could post the same question once a month if I wanted to, just don't reply to it..it's as simple as that.

and if I want to switch mountain bikes every month, I'll do it...I can afford to do it and I also enjoy doing it, I mostly ride my SS roadie anyway...so you can play that Jenna Jameson roll if you want to

I also did just get a job at a bike shop, I've wanted to for a long time....they called me when they had an opening and I took the job...actually quit my other job to work there. I don't know a lot now, more than the average person...but I've been amazed at all the stuff I don't really know about bikes, cheaper and older ones in general, that I'm learning. I've worked at the shop 2 weeks and I already hate the people like you that come into the shop

I guess this pisses you off because you figure I don't ride my bike as much as you and don't know as much about bikes as you and that's fine, I'm cool with that, think what you want, but you can save the holier than thou attitude man, you're no better than the guys pushing 5,000 dollar singlespeeds because yours cost $5...it's all the same attitude elitists and under elitists one in the same
    Calm down, man. The way I'm reading this, they're more annoyed you're not listening to their earlier suggestions, causing you to post similar questions, instead of the fact you're posting again.

And you mention you just want to ride again....so just decide something, instead of posting six different choices for everyone to ponder concerning your choices of wheel, gear, brake, and skewer combinations. Waiting for an answer on here takes more time than getting something going and heading out the door for a ride.

mtbr member
    hmmm...am i the only one that thinks you guys are being a little harsh? yeah, so he's asked the same question a few times (not that i've really paid attention), but that doesn't mean you have to keep answering it.

-disclaimer-

i don't recall reading of his threads, so i'm just gonna head on back to the local boards.