MC - 96'er (X-Post)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

MC - 96'er (X-Post)

Here's my Matt Chester 96'er. I still have some work to do on it. The SS set-up is rather a Rube Goldberg in that I have an Endless cog and spacer set-up on a King Classic Hub. I have an Eccentric Eno that should be arriving today and I'll lace it this weekend. The Fork is a Vanilla Cycles (Sacha is the Man!!) that is a 26" fork with an c-a-l of 435mm. Currently running an Exi up front and will be swapping out for something with a more subtle ride, like a Rampage and ultimately a WW LT. After several rides, I like the set-up. The bike was built around MC's 72/72 geometry and I suspect that when he spec'd for the fork I was using at the time he used a c-a-l estimate of greater than 435mm, becasue the bike always felt a little steep up front. The bigger wheel probably brings me to right around the 71 degree HA, and its quite comfortable. Definately rolls over stuff really well. Last weekend I set up my 29er hardtail as a SS as well. I am really liking the SS thing!! I have tried it several times in the past, but its only in the last month or two that I have really come to enjoy it more than a gearie set-up. Not sure that the 96er thing is here to stay, but the SS is definately becoming my preferred set-up. I will say that I have not been overly impressed with the Endless Kick-Ass cog. After only about a month of riding (maybe a dozen rides) I have noticed real wear on the cog. I have a Boone on the other bike. The $$$ difference is actually quite small, $20?? My advice, pay for the Boone!! More feedback to come on whether I like the 96er or the 29er better. I want to run them back to back for the next couple of weeks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" - Bono

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

96'er set-up

Just ordered a 96'er from Doug Curtiss at Curtlo...keep posting on any recommendations you have on your rig or how you like it. All the reviews have been positive...just looking for more. I will be running full rigid as well. Good looking bike you got there!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    LOL !
    This is just too funny. The only (from what I've heard) geared Matt Chester existing is ENOed! I assume you like your frame to much to buy a new titanium custom with slacker angles, two big wheels and SingleSpeed dedicated?
    Nice fork BTW! Is it flexy?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Agreed

it is rather odd that having ordered the frame from Matt as a dedicated geared rig, I ended up with it as a SS. Matt made the frame for me almost six years ago and at the time, i had never ridden SS and really didn;t have the desire. I tried SS a couple fo times in the past, but for some reason I never really liked it. I am thinking seriously about having a new rig built in the spring which would be a 29er and set-up for SS (likely EBB or Sliding Drops). I have a Carl Strong Aluminum hardtail that is also now SS.
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" - Bono

mtbr member
    This is so ironic, given that I was just this week debating whether to do this to my Ute with the 435mm a-c fork I had made for my someday-will-hopefully-arrive Mute. Normally I would not mess around with geometry in such as fashion, but the bike has always felt a tad steep to me as well and with big meat in the rear and a normal 2.1 up front I don't think the difference will be that profound. Would love to hear more as you evaluate.

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubert
    The only (from what I've heard) geared Matt Chester existing is ENOed!
    I am aware of one other, a geared 29er frame w/Hunter fork a buddy of mine in Park City owns. First 29er I ever set eyes on.

Members who have read this thread: 0