May convert need some advise- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

May convert need some advise

So I ride an older (2005) Diamondback Response. I've played with the Idea of getting a SS bike because I don't shift as my bike is now. Also on my last ride I bent my rear derailure in a crash and don't want to replace it.

If I were to convert my current gearie to a ss would it really be as simple as removing the derailure assembly and removing a few links from my chain?

Also the gear I use most predominantly is 2nd chain ring 6th cassette ring and this would most likely be the gear I would lock my bike into. What is the most predominant gear ratio used on SS bikes?

mtbr member
    You probably have vertical dropouts so you will need a chain tensioner to tension the chain because it's unlikely that you will be able to get the right amount of tension by removing some links. Some people used stripped out rear derailluers. 32 x 18 is a common gear ratio used amongst SS'ers. It really depends on your trails. If it's flat you should be OK with 32 x 18. If you have some steep climbs, you may want to try 32 x 20 at first. Once you get used to it, you can progress to 32 x 18. Just take it easy at first to allow your legs and knees to strengthen.
    '14 Scott Genius 730 650b
    '16 Heller Bloodhound rigid

playin hooky
    My intro to SS was a borrowed 36x19, and I about puked my way up some west coast hill, but was hooked. I read 2:1 was standard for xc, so I went with it, ended up with 30:15 by way of availability, read about extra wear with fewer teeth but no failures for me, works really well, high and tight. I still keep an 8-speeder for epic stuff, but the SS has ended up as my favorite bike.

For the chain stay length I went on FixMeUp, found a couple of possibilities in a range just under the actual chain stay length of my bike, and filed into the fore of the dropouts with a round file. Took no more than 3/16" to 1/8" bite of steel, call it unsafe but I really doubt it, and I have a perfect fit. Laborious? Yes, but the result is a perfect clean setup (lucky that ratio worked for me).

Five years later, many hammerings, very durable. I can't believe more people don't do this with vertical dropouts (though I'm sure in some setups it could be unsafe).

mtbr member
    Zabrow, what's the gearing on the bike now, that you're not shifting from? That will give you a good idea for how to gear it as an SS. For a quick and easy conversion, hop over to a Performance store for their conversion kit and tensioner: this will be all the spacers you need to replace the cogset with, a cog and a tensioner. While you're there, pick up a thin, bash ring to replace your big ring with .

Then, pull off your derailleurs and shifters, swap the smooth ring for your big one and remove your inner ring (use the middle you've got at first) and swap on the spacers and cogs, using the kit to give yourself a dead-straight chainline (ring to cog, straight). Ride it a week and you may want to tune the gearing -- that's when you can consider swapping in a new ring and/or new cog. You'll be hooked.

Members who have read this thread: 0