Max tire size for Spicer and On-One Ti forks?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Max tire size for Spicer and On-One Ti forks?

I have made up my mind that I am getting a Ti fork from one of the above companies. The only question that I have not gotten a solid answer for is the max. tire size. I am currently running a Weirwolf 2.5, but am thinking about going bigger to a Timberwolf 2.7. Will these tires fit in the above forks? Maybe I don't need to get the 2.7 if the Ti fork is more compliant than my current steel fork, maybe not. BTW, it will be disc only, if that matters.

Thanks,
    Mark

The Top Cap Guy
    I ran a Hutchinson Octopuss 2.3 on mine with tons of room (and that's a wide tire for a 2.3) I don't have my Spicer Ti fork anymore but I wouldn't sweat running 2.5 tires in it - a 2.7 should fit also but it also has to do with rim with right? That will somewhat control the outer size of the tire (narrow rim keeps tire narrower and a wider rim lets it get wider... I think.... works that way with car tirees anyway). But I mainy ran 2.0 tires on it and the fork will make a HUGE difference alone in its ride... I'll say this... my Spicer with 2.0 Pythons was more 'compliant' than the Surly Karate Money I had (with Surly fork) and a WTB 2.1 by a TON.

I wouldn't sweat running a wider tire if you're going to a Ti fork - it by itself will make a huge difference.

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

formerly Giantxc
    I ran a Weirwolf 2.5 on a Spicer Ti disc only until putting a squishy fork on last weekend and it fit with plenty of room to spare. Want to buy a used one?

DiscoCowboy

2.7 Maxxis Mobster fits

on a Rhynolite XL rim. In other words FAT!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Allroy
    on a Rhynolite XL rim. In other words FAT!
    On a Spicer or an On-one?

mtbr member
    I finally got responses from both companies and here are the results: The On-one fork will take a 2.8 tire and weighs about 2 lbs. The Spicer will take a 2.5, but probably not a 2.7, and weighs about 1.3lbs. Both forks are about $325. Athother tid-bit I did not know: When the Spicer forks were beefed up after some failures, the only parts that where made thicker were the 2 parts that connect the steerer to the legs, not the whole legs. The wall thickness was changed from .9 to 1.5. Although I have not heard of any failures of any of the newer forks. It sounds like the On-one is a stronger fork, as I would expect from Brant! I have also had an offer to buy a used Spicer. Now I really don't know what to do!

Mark

Members who have read this thread: 0