Matt Chester- Mtbr.com

Thread: Matt Chester

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Matt Chester

Anyone have experience they can share with me when ordering a frame from Matt Chester.

(was) Big in Japan
    Oh Boy.
    Ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    That bad?

aka baycat
    You know that King in Africa that offered you millions of dollars via email. Better chance with that.

mtbr member
    He's back in business and supposedly being responsible with things (so far) and filling orders for the people he left hanging when things went bad. There was a thread in the 29er forum recently about someones new MC frame with surprisingly positive comments from most people

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Yeah Matt had some pretty bad issues including an intollerance to Acetone (whats the big deal you ask? You have to clean Ti with that stuff prior to welding or it fails!) and closed up shop.

He has sorted him self out and is back building frames and catching up on the back-log and limiting himself to a set number of frames a year.

He did not move to Canada to "run off with the cash", he got married to a Canadian woman and moved out there with her. He does avoid posting on web forums as he preferes riding or welding, which is why he appears elusive.

From the conversations I have had with Matt when buying my Ute back in 2000 and the week I spent riding with him back in his Leadville days he is a stand-up guy who has been delt a rough hand but is fighting back.

I hope he catches up on the orders asap and gets more of those lovely frames out there.

SSP

(I am posting this not because I am a Matt-appologist as I have been accused but as another small time ex-builder who was maligned (on closed access forums!) for much less! I know how it can feel)
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

Out spokin'
    No comment.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

(was) Big in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by rigid29
    That bad?
    Plenty of threads on the subject on MTBR. Usually they involve big fireworks. That was all I meant - I thought it was all gonna start up again. Good to see it hasn't.

My limited contact with MC was great (2001). Ended up not ordering, but I respect him and his ideals.

Don't know anything about the current situation, but his bikes sure do look nice, and don't seem to be resold very often.
    Ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0