Masher or Spinner- Mtbr.com

View Poll Results: What kind of climber are you for long uphills (several miles)?

Voters
66. This poll is closed
  • Are a stand-up Masher?

41 62.12%
  • Or a sit-and-Spinner?

25 37.88%
    Samsonite Tester

Masher or Spinner

After down gearing to make the long fireroad climbs easier. I find that, downgearing made it harder on me. There is a sweet spot for out of the saddle climbing. Trying to comprimise and get a sitdown/stand-up combo has been impossible. All of the combo's tried and many more figured here http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/ . This leads me to question;

Are you a Masher

or a Spinner

Gear selection, crank length and wheel size would be helpful. Example 34-19 , 175 , 29".
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    I'm a bother. I spend most of my time in the saddle on the type of climb you've described, but the opportunity to stand for a few strokes when the path steepens in spots actually contributes to getting into a good climbing rhythm for me. I'm guessing that I feel at my best with about a 70/30 sit/stand ratio.

36-20 26", 32-19 29", 200. Fat Ba$tard.
    Last edited by quaffimodo; 02-25-2007 at 01:53 PM.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Both, depending on what the trail is doing at the moment! No shifters means no choice hey?

I get what you mean though. I like the feel of mashing more than spinning.

34/19 x 29
    180mm

single speeder
    Sep 2006
    Masher - certainly not a spinner uphill.

32-18, 180, 29

mtbr member
    Here in central NY the climbs are short and steep. There are very few, if any extended tempo sort of climbs. Frankly, I'm often at a loss when I find one, since I almost never do. Anyway, I my gear ratio had been anywhere from 32-20 to 32-17 (discounting stupid low snow gears) on 26" wheels with 175mm cranks. This is generally stand and mash gearing for my area. So for the climbing that I do, I definatly feel more comfortable mashing. On the rare long climb, In generally go back and forth as the pitch dictates.

mtbr member
    Down here in the Appalachians of VA, I have to do both. Lots of short steep climbs and several long steady ones. When on a geared bike I prefer to sit and spin, but now that I have been riding SS for a few months, I find that I stand more often than I used to. As for the hard time finding the right gearing for both, I feel for you. There is no way that I can get a comfortable for both sitting and standing on the SS so I go with the smallest standing gear I can. 34 x 18 175 crank 26 inch wheels.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

SuperInstigator
    I live in northeast CT, and man are the hills annoying, but for some reason they're fun. Masher all the way. Most hills are short and wicked steep here, so I cant sit and spin, although I have heard itis easier on long climbs, so I've been trying it, but I'm just to damn impatient most of the time to just spin.

32-18, 170, 26
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Knievel
    After down gearing to make the long fireroad climbs easier. I find that, downgearing made it harder on me. There is a sweet spot for out of the saddle climbing. Trying to comprimise and get a sitdown/stand-up combo has been impossible. All of the combo's tried and many more figured here http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/ . This leads me to question;

Are you a Masher

or a Spinner

Gear selection, crank length and wheel size would be helpful. Example 34-19 , 175 , 29".
    If you ride a singlespeed you have to be both, though some riders are able to push a (slightly by gearie standards) bigger gear on the climbs. There is always going to be climbs where you must stand and mash and times when you can sit and keep the pedals turning.

Generally I think SB's "Gain Ratio" to be BS. I do not change my gearing for different crank lengths.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I live around St. Louis, where the terrain is a lot of up and down. I run 34x18 on a 26 and I tend to sit down and grind as much as possible. The stronger guys around here run a 2 to 1 ratio on 26 but I know of 1 sick pup who is running that on a 29.

mtbr member
    Singlespeed 29er 32 X 18, so my style is whatever gets me through. On my fixed gear, I'm a spinner on the downs and a masher on the ups!
    “The only Zen you find on tops of mountains is the Zen you bring there”---Robert M. Pirsig

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Masher all the way, don't matter if standing or sitting.

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    If you ride a singlespeed you have to be both, though some riders are able to push a (slightly by gearie standards) bigger gear on the climbs. There is always going to be climbs where you must stand and mash and times when you can sit and keep the pedals turning.

Generally I think SB's "Gain Ratio" to be BS. I do not change my gearing for different crank lengths.
    Maybe a description of how easy you like the crank to go over the top, would be clearer. While the easier gear was less effort to get over the top, the less momentum had a negative affect by the end of the ride. I even cut the ride short.
    The very next day now geared higher than the start point gearing, the climbs were less energy sapping than the spinner comprimise gear. Rode double the mileage at the same energy out, so it felt. The hills that caused a hike-a-bike were shortened with the momentum and maintainence of the momentum with more leverage gearing.

got to go continue later........
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

I've broken one of those!

I singlespeed, therefore I mash.

34-16/14, 175, 26", and yes I am a Clyde.
    "It's not his fault that he's an adorable, unstoppable killing machine."

Drinkin' Buddy

I'm Lazy, I walk

I do a bit of both until I get tired, and then I just walk the rest of the way. Why waste precious riding energy on non-singletrak? I try to save my legs for the technical quick up-and-downs in the singletrack at the end of the fire road.
    Got Beer?

ali'i hua
    i do both, but i've also noticed something else- when you're in better shape, you tend to be able to sit and spin up the steep climbs instead of standing and mashing. I've especialy noticed this trying to follow the faster local guys (andy aka rut, for example) where when I'm out of the saddle, wrenching on the bars, they're spinning on up the same ascent, while seated. FWIW, the climbs here in socal are steep and either long or short

anyone else notice this?

Master of None
    Masher on the singlespeed hardtail. Spinner on the geared full susser.

singlespeed 38x18, 175, 26"
    fully 38x(32-12), 175, 26"

Fat, but working on it...
    Where's the option for "walker"?

Seriously, though, I'm a masher I guess. Never really thought about it, but that seems to describe me best.
    Nothing to see here. Move along...

mtbr member

A bit of both

I find myself spinning as often as I end up standing and mashing. I have 34:20 gearing with 175 cranks on 26" wheels. I switched to this from 32:20 when I started SS. The new gear seems to be about right for all but the steepest terrain out here. I'm in the White Mtns of AZ.
    luck favors the prepared.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

masher

florida here (80deg F today) 32/18 170 on a 26"

Harrumph
    34-16 on a fixie, like a few others have said ya gotta be both. When I wimp out and jump on the geared bike, I knotice I'm spinning a lot more. But when the time comes to mash my SS'd legs are ready to turn a high gear.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

conjoinicorned
    i almost always prefer to stand and mash, even on long climbs and in spite of my current fitness level.

32x18, 175, 29" and
    36x18, 175, 26"
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Michigan Masher

36x16 175 26''
    36x15 175 26'' Fixed
    29er by Spring, Gearing??

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I run a 38:18 on my rigid SS (180 cranks and 26 inch wheels) and a 32:18 on my HT SS (170 cranks and 26 inch wheels).

The rigid is for XC, singletrack, and my commute while the HT is really a singletrack specific bike... I find the rigid to be a far more efficient machine and climbing with it isn;t much more work that the HT which will soon become a rigid too.

I tend to mash my way up climbs in the biggest gear I can stand on anything I ride whether it's multi geared or a singlespeed and will only sit and spin for a small part of any given climb.

When I'm riding on flat ground I tend to spin at a pretty high cadence so if I do feel the need to sit and spin the cardio is there.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

highly visible
    Masher, 34x22, 175mm, 29". Western Oregon.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

Expert Pushing SSer
    Sit and tough it out till the last possible moment in time, then stand! Often both, like another poster said, pulse mode/chop mode whatever. 34:19 34:20 34:22, 26", 160 - 165#, 5-11, brown hair, brown eyes, like long winding single track after a long days work, like romantic interludes with cliff bars and gu. Oooops! Sorry, wrong forum!
    Tuff Schist

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Foot
    Sit and tough it out till the last possible moment in time, then stand! Often both, like another poster said, pulse mode/chop mode whatever. 34:19 34:20 34:22, 26", 160 - 165#, 5-11, brown hair, brown eyes, like long winding single track after a long days work, like romantic interludes with cliff bars and gu. Oooops! Sorry, wrong forum!

DOWN BOY!!!

does the wife know about these other "ahem" forums?

Retro Grouch

Masher or Spinner ?

I'm a seated masher; I spin when I can and mash when I can't.

1G1G, Brad
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I attack the climbs so I am a masher. I run 32x16 175 on a 26" Surly 1x1. In North Western NC the singletrack here has steep climbs that are either short or medium in length, no fireroad type long climbs just singletrack that is rooty and rough so I attack the climbs get them over with and spin a nice moderate(not slow) pace to recover then at the run in of the next climb I attack it all over again. Kind of like interval training hahaha. Gets the job done. On the 5" geared Full Suss. I sit more, but since I singlespeed more than I ride that bike, I do stand and power it out even on the geared bike at times. Singlespeeding on my Rigid Surly is much more fun for me so the 5" bike w/ nice Fox shocks often gets lonely haha. JC

mtbr member
    32 x 16 rigid 26" bike with 175's - I try and spin through the rolling stuff and keep the speed, on longer climbs it's a stand and mash for sure.
    Sometimes I surprise myself at stuff I made it over, other times I'm walking-
    Thats singlespeeds I guess

Members who have read this thread: 0