Mary - SpaceBar breakers- Mtbr.com
    Wrench-O-Phile

Mary - SpaceBar breakers

So... this style bar (I just Googled the image online):

I have read here and there on MTBR that some have broken this bar.

My question to those of you who have, how did you break it?

Basically, for those who have broken the bar do you feel it just the design that failed you or that you pushed the bar more than what it was designed to do?

I'd like to know if you were running rigid forks, riding style, terrain, rider weight.

I have recently been trying this bar and really dig the position, but I am leery of it snapping off. Just trying to figure out what pattern (if any) is leading to these bars failing.
    Just keep pedaling...

visit the sticki chronicles

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I use two of those bars. I have not broken one but will fill in on this discussion.

I am on the clydesdale side of life and mash hard plus I ride rigid.

In the earlier discussion all the broken bars were broken at the stem/bar interface. That has nothing to do with the way these bars are styled. Almost all broken bars that I have seen are broken at this point. And thats quite logical because the applied forces are the strongest on that interface and not in the middle of a bend.

I have never seen one that is broken on the bends in the tubing and as long as I do not see a lot of mary bars that are broken on the bends there is no reason to think that these bars ar structurally weaker than other bars. And by a lot I mean a percentage that is a lot higher than other brands of broken bars. (IMHO).

WWYD?
    As far as I can tell its only a handful of people who've broken the Mary-style bars.

Mine broke probably from a bad stem/bar interface. It flexed alot. I was used to a 31.8 bar and noticed the flex immediately. It was used with a Sette stem. The stem or bar was probably out of round. I only used it for about 6 month and the aluminum snapped without any warning.

I'm a big guy too, 225 pounds with a pack on a rigid Monocog.

I had a meltdown thread a few months back titled; Mary almost sent me to the ER!

Now I'm using a Salsa MotoAce with no problems and I'm going to get a Jones J-bar when I can get the cash.

They make a chromoly Mary now. For my commuter I use a steel 25.4 Nashbar moustache handlebar with similar bends and it doesn't nearly flex as much as the Mary.

Lot of people use the Mary bar and rave about it, I like the looks, but thin aluminum bars on an SS freak me out.

You know, for kids
    I always noticed my Space bar flexing when I was mashing hard and pulling on it. I never rode it offroad, only in the city, doing little drops off 4-8" curbs was the worst the bar ever saw. I don't keep a lot of weight on the bars when I ride as I try to keep most of my weight on the saddle. When it snapped on me I had just come off a curb of 4" or so and when it landed, the left side gave way close to the stem and I tumbled to the ground as I lost the support for my upper body. It just kinda broke, it was not overtightened and the stem/bar interface looked completely normal. I was using a Origin-8 stem as well.

I always thought the backsweep was a tad too much for me. I'd suggest going with the Misfit Fubars, Groovy Luv Handle, or the Jitensha Nitto bar.
    Last edited by madcap; 12-19-2008 at 09:02 AM.
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    And again both broke at the stem/bar interface.

A straight bar from the same material and the same length (for leverage) would have probably broken at the same spot.

oh and I always deburr the inside of a stem slightly with some ligt sandpaper when I feel shapr edges and spots. That way you will not create some spots where there is more pressure.

You know, for kids
    Quote Originally Posted by DiDaDunlop
    It didn't break even with the stem clamp. It was actually about 5mm away from the clamp where it broke, in a very uneven fashion. The clamp did not damage the bar in any way.

mtbr member

A straight bar from the same material and the same length (for leverage) would have probably broken at the same spot.
    The Mary still has a pretty significant bend coming right out of the stem; much different than a straight or even a riser bar

You know, for kids
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    The Mary still has a pretty significant bend coming right out of the stem; much different than a straight or even a riser bar

I believe that is part of the problem. If the bend could be moved outward 10mm per side I think it would help.

Wrench-O-Phile
    Thanks for all the responses guys. Good to get input from those who have had one fail and those who haven't.

In the earlier discussion all the broken bars were broken at the stem/bar interface. That has nothing to do with the way these bars are styled. Almost all broken bars that I have seen are broken at this point. And thats quite logical because the applied forces are the strongest on that interface and not in the middle of a bend.
    My guess is that the heavy sweep on these bars leads to the "flex" we all feel. That probably also adds a lot of torsional (twisting) load that a flat or standard riser doesn't have to deal with. When the Mary/ Space hits a bump, it's being forced down and twisted in opposing directions all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb
    ...and I'm going to get a Jones J-bar when I can get the cash.
    Have you seen these Titec H-Bars:

Maybe a bit cheaper and a very similar style. But being aluminum, will it have the same fatigue problems as the Space and Mary bars seem to have? Doesn't have such radical bends at the bar, so that should help.
    Just keep pedaling...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvota
    Have you seen these Titec H-Bars:

Maybe a bit cheaper and a very similar style. But being aluminum, will it have the same fatigue problems as the Space and Mary bars seem to have? Doesn't have such radical bends at the bar, so that should help.
    I think johhny is talking about the newer Titec version called the J-bar instead of the H-bar, but is in fact designed to match the original Jeff Jones H-bar since the first Titec H-bar has a 1.5" rise for some reason.

Clear as mud, right?

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    I think johhny is talking about the newer Titec version called the J-bar instead of the H-bar, but is in fact designed to match the original Jeff Jones H-bar since the first Titec H-bar has a 1.5" rise for some reason.

Clear as mud, right?
    Ya Boomn, got that Titec H-bar on my Monocog SS and want to get the Titec J-bar on my '69er SS. $80 bucks is a stretch to spend on me right now, if you know what I mean
    Also the j-bar is a 31.8 at the stem. I love the H-bar and it isn't flexy.

Diadunlop: I did sand to deburr the edges on my stem too, the break occurred a few mms past the interface of the stem and bar.

mtbr member
    after breaking a space bar in the same place as most othere here i finally decided to go with the misfit fubar. it has similar bends, but the material is 3mm thick. it feels very strong. i don't notice any flex at all compared to the space bar.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I have an FU bar and it hasn't broken yet. I also haven't taken it out for a ride yet either.

mtbr member
    I have the Marys on my rigid GF Rig going on two years now and no problems. I am 160lbs. and ride rooty, rocky.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sweep the leg!
    I have a Mary and a Space Bar on my 29ers which also are fully rigid. I've fluctuated between 170-200# during the last 3 seasons and they are showing no signs of failure or bending. They've been crashed a few times but have held up fine. They're not uber-light which should help with their reliability. Don't sweat it.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    Don't sweat it.
    Caffeine, I like your style.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have been using the titec hbar for awhile, it is really stiff and strong. I like it better than the ti version, which felt flexy to me. I am around 195 with pack and use it for trail riding and commuting.

Frt Range, CO
    Anyone know what Mary bars weigh?

FU bar: 375gm
    titec jones: 390gm

I'm 240# and I don't notice any flex in either. Nobody has reported a failure yet. The Marys scare me, so do the CF bars. Not for us big boys, esp if you're as ugly as I am. Last thing I need is a uglier face.

Oldie
    I'm 225# with gear and have been waiting for a cro-mo Mary bar after reading a few different threads on breakage. I'm starting to lean towards the Titec H-bar but the price is killing me. Where can I find these limited edition cro-mo Mary bars? I found them at On-One's site but I would think shipping would be as much as the bar, is anyone state side selling them?
    "You don't need a lighter bike, you need bigger muscles"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zuk88
    I found them at On-One's site but I would think shipping would be as much as the bar, is anyone state side selling them?
    they don't have a us distributer as of now. i think their shipping prices are very reasonable. you can actually calcualte shipping prior to checkout if i remember correctly.

Oldie
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976
    they don't have a us distributer as of now. i think their shipping prices are very reasonable. you can actually calcualte shipping prior to checkout if i remember correctly.

Guess I should have looked harder
    Here is the problem I have now, $61.79 for the Mary cro-mo or $67.95 for the Titec
    "You don't need a lighter bike, you need bigger muscles"

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by madcap
    I believe that is part of the problem. If the bend could be moved outward 10mm per side I think it would help.
    I hear you Madcap on placing the bend more outward.

Here's a little study I've done comparing my Mary bar with a steel moustache Nashbar that I've used on a commuter for thousands of miles.

I really think my breakage was caused by the flexing of the bar with the Sette stem I used.

Either the stem or the bar was out of round slightly and increased the likelyhood of it snapping. I never blamed On One for this, but what I'm trying to say is that a flexing handlebar could be the sign of something bad. And the Mary flexed on two different stems.

I only had the Mary bar for around 1,500 miles before it broke. I'm careful with my builds, everything was prepped right with light sanding of the stem edges and proper torque wrench. I used a similar cheap Nashbar stem with my moustache bar and there isn't a mark on it. And the bar barely flexes.

The bend on the moustache is about 62 mm from the center and the Mary bend is at about 40 mm, almost an inch shorter. I have moustache bars on two of my bikes and the feel is great for the road, you're in a semi-tuck so you can be a little more aero and out of the wind.

The marks on Mary match up the stem, but on a closer look, (see my thread link) the actual break was a few mm from the marks from the stem! The break is very jagged and it fell off with no warning. I wonder if its a material failure or fatigue effect.

Whatever, I just learn from my bad breaks! And I like steel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What type of stem were you using? It looks like the bar clamp area was very narrow on your stem. I run my Marys (sooooooooooo comfortable) with Thompson Elite stems and I don't feel much flex BUT I only weigh 140lbs and I run SID or REBA on both bikes with Mary.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    about 210-225 here on a Space bar. No issues, although I have to admit the OP's topic is in the back of my mind every once in a while. I toy with the idea of the cromoly Mary bar, but I'm put off by the price... I keep thinking it should be cheaper. Then I go ride and forget about it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The Origin 8 site lists the spacebar as an 'urban' bar, not recommended for off-road use. Was it ever approved by the manufacturer for off road duty?

Personally, I'm looking at either a FU-bar or a Surly torsion bar...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Cool thread. I have the Origin8 spacebar, but have not completed my rigid 29er build for it yet. I wonder how it's going to hold up under a 300 pound Clyde? ... ...I won't be riding any rough terrain though. Probably OK. I'll report back later....I have an Azonic single wall riser bar I"ve been using since 1995 that is much lighter constructed than the spacebar and never had a problem. I don't ride real rough terrain though.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frs1661
    The Origin 8 site lists the spacebar as an 'urban' bar, not recommended for off-road use. Was it ever approved by the manufacturer for off road duty?

Personally, I'm looking at either a FU-bar or a Surly torsion bar...
    Don't forget the 17deg Salsa either; wider and 2deg more sweep than the Surly. That was my "compromise" for a comfy bar, but it sure doesn't ride or feel like a compromise I have no reservations about the strength

Someday I would like to try something different as well. Custom bent Ti bars or the Ti Luv Handle would be sweet!

mtbr member
    I snapped mine a few years ago on a bumpy downhill, ended up in the woods with some blood, bumps and bruises and a (thankfully) funny story. I am 6'2 220lb rider. I was on a Raleigh XXIX rigid. I wouldn't call myself an overly aggressive rider but I am not gentle either. I think I read above that this was suggested for Urban cruising and not dirt singletrack. Had I known that before I bought, I definitely would not have ran them but my assumption was that they were knock-off Mary Bars and my cheap-a$$ took the bait. Since then, I have become pretty paranoid as to what I put on my bikes.

You know, for kids
    We've seen pictures of both broken Space and Mary bars in this thread. My broken Space bar has never seen dirt and was only used for urban use. So even if it is suggested for "urban use" only, it's still faulty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

big ol steel chrome mary bar for me 230lbs with kit
    very little flex not much chance of this beast breaking at 525g

mtbr member

salsa moto ace vs. surly torsion bars

here's my situation (235lbs with gear on a steel rigid) i rode the space bars, and loved them. then the broke, and i didn't want to ride bendy aluminum bars anymore. i got a 28" wide riser bar which i liked, but i wan't totaly in love with. it was a tad too wide and i wanted more sweep. i ordered some luv handles which just were not for me. they were too stiff, so i sold them. i decided to order some misfit fubars. i have been riding them for a month or so now. i like the bend and the strenth, but i think they might be too narrow. they feel real twitchy for me a low speed. i think that is due to my old bars being so wide. no i am looking at the moto ace and the torsion bars. these two bars are very similar in width, and bend. has anyone riden both or either that has input? what i am most interested in if anybody has broken the moto ace. i am also interested to see how stiff the torsion bars are. i would like this to be that last set of bars i order for a little while.
    thanks

You know, for kids
    also consider the Bontrager Satellite Plus Trekking bar

mtbr member
    also consider the Bontrager Satellite Plus Trekking bar
    thanks and damm you for making my decision more difficult.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    It probably doesn't make any difference, but I wonder how many bars were installed upside down or rightside up when they broke. ...?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    The cheapest way to get really strong bars is to pay a visit to a motorbike shop. You'll need handle bar shims because they usually don't have the bulge in the centre. Got a nice strong set of gold bars on my Singular.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    And as said in an earlier thread. Is the percentage of broken Mary bars more that any other bar?

I think that this problem is more in people's heads than a real world problem.

Bars can break. That's a fact of life. And If Mary bars only get this attention because of the different styling then we should also watch other bars.
    H-bars have a welded on offset piece and the straight part will get a lot of torsional stress because of this construction. Safe? Same for bontrager trekking bars and the Luv handles (albeit that the last one is made of steel).

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubedriver
    What type of stem were you using? It looks like the bar clamp area was very narrow on your stem. I run my Marys (sooooooooooo comfortable) with Thompson Elite stems and I don't feel much flex BUT I only weigh 140lbs and I run SID or REBA on both bikes with Mary.
    I was using a four bolt Sette stem. Pretty wide, the cover plate opening had the complete Mary head showing

WWYD?
    And as said in an earlier thread. Is the percentage of broken Mary bars more that any other bar?

I think that this problem is more in people's heads than a real world problem.

Bars can break. That's a fact of life. And If Mary bars only get this attention because of the different styling then we should also watch other bars.
    H-bars have a welded on offset piece and the straight part will get a lot of torsional stress because of this construction. Safe? Same for bontrager trekking bars and the Luv handles (albeit that the last one is made of steel).
    The Mary is the only handlebar thats broken since 1987, since I started 'core mountain biking with a Rockhopper. (Knock on wood)

I've broken more chainstays, seatposts and stems.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Anywhere to find the cromoly Mary bar cheaper than the ~$85 (after exchange rate?) that is on the On-One UK site?
    Last edited by racerdave; 12-23-2008 at 07:53 AM.

You know, for kids
    Is the percentage of broken Mary bars more that any other bar?

Yes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I wonder if anyone has tried to use some type of reinforcement for these bars.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Misfit Psycles
    Is the percentage of broken Mary bars more that any other bar?
    i don't know about that.
    they sold a lot of bars, sold a lot of bars to a very niche - very vocal (for better or worse) set of riders. i think just like you were more likely to HEAR about mary and then BUY a mary, now you are HEARING about almost every problem with a mary. very few manufacturers enjoy or have to deal with that kind of 'publicity'.
    has it broken more then any other bar - i don't think the data exists to prove that beyond heresy.

the very design of big sweep bars - the same design that affords them advantage(s) over straight or riser bars - can also be their achilles heal.
    the big bends offer super hand positioning and incredible amounts of leverage...but with this leverage comes stress...

i bit the bullet, because i have broken lots of things. i made some concessions in design and increased wall thickness...i admit this vastly reduced the FU's market 'potential'. at 378g+/- it is not weenie approved and in just over 4 years we have sold a scant 550, probably a drop in marys bucket.
    in my partly educated and biased mind-set i think on-one made the best decision under the circumstances for their target market with mary. i see little they could have done to achieve the same design/weight/performance/price parameters. i think the explanations they have offered are reasonable and i think (to be fair) they have taken a disproportionate amount of heat considering - as others have said - shite breaks.

all i'd say is that if EVERYONE reported on MTBR their problems with ALL equipment i think this would be put into a better perspective.

like i said, just my biased opinion.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    ...i think the explanations they have offered are reasonable and i think (to be fair) they have taken a disproportionate amount of heat considering - as others have said - shite breaks.

all i'd say is that if EVERYONE reported on MTBR their problems with ALL equipment i think this would be put into a better perspective.

like i said, just my biased opinion.
    I'm a technical weenie for a huge hardware technology company. One thing I've learned is that when it comes to quality issues, it's all prob & stats, there are no coincidents, everything is a clue.

It's very clear to me the Mary bars have an issue, a few documented posts means there are many more incidents occurring. If you had a problem with the FU bars, you'd here it here on MTBR forum, I expect at least half of your sales a related to MTBR forum.

And thanks for making manly bars, those 200gm noodle bars really scare me.

$42 for a set of FUs, what are you guys waiting for? If 200gms is a big deal, lose it in your belly
    Last edited by pursuiter; 12-23-2008 at 09:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    "It's very clear to me the Mary bars have an issue, a few documented posts means there are many more incidents occurring"

Nah in my opinion thats more a case of a self fulfilling prophecy. When one person starts to report a problem more turn up. That's the way it works. I do not think that this would have been a problem if the OP a few months ago would not have posted his broken bar.

I myself have never broken a bar. I have two mary's and used lost of other bars (albeit no plastic). I have broken 2 frames and some seatposts but that was mainly because of crashes.

And all big sweep bars put more torsional stress on the bar thats what I said in one of my earlier posts. Mary's were just one of the first to have a big sweep (and one of the most mass produced).

"all i'd say is that if EVERYONE reported on MTBR their problems with ALL equipment i think this would be put into a better perspective"

Indeed. But people tend to give manufacturers hell purely based on one or two incidents. In this thread 3 broken bars from 2 manufacturers (correct me if I am wrong). That's nothing on the millions of bars in existence and hunderds (thousands?) of working mary/space bars.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Don't Marys weigh ~320gms? Hardly a lightweight wonder. They are also only 25" in length so they should not be exposed to the monster torque seen on 27"-28" bars. I wonder if there was a bad batch?

Frt Range, CO
    If you trust 'em ride 'em. I quit the Easton CF bars since I can't decide what a "bad" scratch is. Like I said, I'm ugly enough, less a few teeth and a big face scar will not help.

You know, for kids
    "It's very clear to me the Mary bars have an issue, a few documented posts means there are many more incidents occurring"

Nah in my opinion thats more a case of a self fulfilling prophecy. When one person starts to report a problem more turn up. That's the way it works. I do not think that this would have been a problem if the OP a few months ago would not have posted his broken bar.

I myself have never broken a bar. I have two mary's and used lost of other bars (albeit no plastic). I have broken 2 frames and some seatposts but that was mainly because of crashes.

And all big sweep bars put more torsional stress on the bar thats what I said in one of my earlier posts. Mary's were just one of the first to have a big sweep (and one of the most mass produced).

"all i'd say is that if EVERYONE reported on MTBR their problems with ALL equipment i think this would be put into a better perspective"

Indeed. But people tend to give manufacturers hell purely based on one or two incidents. In this thread 3 broken bars from 2 manufacturers (correct me if I am wrong). That's nothing on the millions of bars in existence and hunderds (thousands?) of working mary/space bars.

Why is it that broken Mary/Space bars come up on MTBR more than any other bars?? Search.

I'm sure there are other bars out there that have sold more than the Mary/Space. Why do we not hear about those breaking? Your logic is that if they break people come here to b!tch about it. So why do we not hear about better selling bars breaking all the time time on MTBR?

That's right, because they don't break as often.

I heard all the stories and saw the pictures before I started riding my Space bar, chose to believe it was just a fluke. I wound up with my face on the pavement thanks to my Space bar.

@adelorenzo
    Quote Originally Posted by racerdave
    Anywhere to find the cromoly Mary bar cheaper than the ~$85 (after exchange rate?) that is on the On-One UK site?
    I have a couple that I want to get rid of... PM me if interested.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Why is it that broken Mary/Space bars come up on MTBR more than any other bars?? Search.

I'm sure there are other bars out there that have sold more than the Mary/Space. Why do we not hear about those breaking? Your logic is that if they break people come here to b!tch about it. So why do we not hear about better selling bars breaking all the time time on MTBR?

That's right, because they don't break as often.

I heard all the stories and saw the pictures before I started riding my Space bar, chose to believe it was just a fluke. I wound up with my face on the pavement thanks to my Space bar.
    You say "pavement". Do you mean you were just riding on the street when it happened? Now I'm really getting scared. I could see how they may break off-road, but on streets and towpaths too? Now that's scary!
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

You know, for kids
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr
    You say "pavement". Do you mean you were just riding on the street when it happened? Now I'm really getting scared. I could see how they may break off-road, but on streets and towpaths too? Now that's scary!

Yes, my Space bar never saw any offroad use.

Frt Range, CO
    ...wound up with my face on the pavement thanks to my Space bar.
    Takes a lot of guts to ride Mary Bars after a post like this. We have some very brave members!

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    If you trust 'em ride 'em. I quit the Easton CF bars since I can't decide what a "bad" scratch is. Like I said, I'm ugly enough, less a few teeth and a big face scar will not help.

I hear women dig handlebar nose piercings
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Maybe somebody can come up with a cross brace to strengthen the bar. The design is too good to go to waste.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Frt Range, CO
    Maybe somebody can come up with a cross brace to strengthen the bar. The design is too good to go to waste.
    They are so close to the FU bar, why not just go with the Katrina Witt of bars instead of the Paris Hilton version?

mtbr member
    if it think about it when i get home tonight, i will take a pick of my recently uninstalled fubars, so you can see how thick the sidewalls are. these things are beefy.
    i guess 6 months on a 28" bars ruined my love of big sweep bars

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    They are so close to the FU bar, why not just go with the Katrina Witt of bars instead of the Paris Hilton version?
    and i've almost had paris.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

You know, for kids
    one more to consider...the Soma Noah's Arc bar, I'll be using one on my next build...

and available in colors...

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    and i've almost had paris.
    So what, number of beings that have hit Paris > FU bars sold

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ...Still wondering about a cross brace for the Mary/Spacebar. What do you guys think?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Wrench-O-Phile
    ...Still wondering about a cross brace for the Mary/Spacebar. What do you guys think?
    I like the idea. Maybe just something like MX bars use. A clamp on each bar bend with some sort of crossmember.

I like those Soma bars as well but was concerned about decreasing the reach without going to a much longer stem.
    Just keep pedaling...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvota
    I like the idea. Maybe just something like MX bars use. A clamp on each bar bend with some sort of crossmember.

I like those Soma bars as well but was concerned about decreasing the reach without going to a much longer stem.
    I saw a couple of Soma bars that looked cool too, but not wide enough for me.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I am 215ish and ride fully rigid, i have broke the mary's. On-One was super cool and exchanged the broke ones for a set of chromo mary's. absolutely awesome, great sweep, super strong, and they dampen the gnarly chattery stuff. if you are bigger and ride the crap out of your bike, get the chromo's, i love them. also, a super cool company to deal with!!
    When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dtimms
    I am 215ish and ride fully rigid, i have broke the mary's. On-One was super cool and exchanged the broke ones for a set of chromo mary's. absolutely awesome, great sweep, super strong, and they dampen the gnarly chattery stuff. if you are bigger and ride the crap out of your bike, get the chromo's, i love them. also, a super cool company to deal with!!
    I'm thinking about looking into the Bontrager satellite plus bar at this point. Man! I got the Spacebars and haven't even installed them yet! (Got em 6 months ago and never finished the build) I got all fired up for nothing! Well, I guess it's better to know now than later.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've had great luck with the Spacebar, but I'm getting very leery after madcap's experience. I've got a fair amount of time on them on a rigid SS ridden only on MTB trails. I'm rethinking that now before I find out the "hard way"

You know, for kids
    Oh yeah, the alloy Space bar was discontinued by Origin-8, rep at Interbike told me "because people were riding them offroad when they shouldn't have been". He then pointed to a new steel version on one of the Origin-8 display bikes which had the new version. Same exact bends, just like the CroMo Mary, again just a copy of the Mary. Likely available in the next few months.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Oh yeah, the alloy Space bar was discontinued by Origin-8, rep at Interbike told me "because people were riding them offroad when they shouldn't have been". He then pointed to a new steel version on one of the Origin-8 display bikes which had the new version. Same exact bends, just like the CroMo Mary, again just a copy of the Mary. Likely available in the next few months.
    Good looking out. I,m trying to track down the Kalloy Dexter (AL-095) bar. (probably the same as the Bontrager Satellite plus). So far all I know is BTI distributing has them, but according to the website, there's none in stock.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

dirtbag
    I replaced my Space bars after reading this thread. It was only on my bike for a month before I swapped it out with a FU bar. I might put them on my commuter that only sees street duty with some light dirt paths.
    Amolan

mtbr member

Space Bar

Are the space bars any worse than the Mary Bars?

Oh, and my 2 cents on the cause, Elvota has got it figured out...

"That probably also adds a lot of torsional (twisting) load that a flat or standard riser doesn't have to deal with."
    Last edited by mdb1974; 05-22-2009 at 10:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    According to an email I got from a Origin 8 rep, an off road version (called the Spacebar OR) will be released on June 1 2009. Your local bike shop (J&B imports carrier) should be able to get it. You can email Origin 8 for more info.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member

Thanks

Just trying to see if I should scrap the ones I just bought. Found them in the mountain biking section of a bike shop and the LBS guy did not really know anything about them. Oh well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mdb1974
    Just trying to see if I should scrap the ones I just bought. Found them in the mountain biking section of a bike shop and the LBS guy did not really know anything about them. Oh well.
    The regular Spacebar was not intended for off road use I don't think. So Origin 8 came out with an off road version.(in black or silver- heavier duty aluminum). You can get a steel version of the On One Mary bar also.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dtimms
    AGREE! See the point is this: Aluminum bars will fail catastrophically at stress riser points. SS adds much stress to bars because of the way that one pulls on the bars for power. Therefore a large cyclist (by large I mean greater than 180#... come on, >180 is large for a cyclist), especially a SSer should go with a steel or titanium bar which has a far greater number of cycles in its fatigue life.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CrampAndGoSlow
    AGREE! See the point is this: Aluminum bars will fail catastrophically at stress riser points. SS adds much stress to bars because of the way that one pulls on the bars for power. Therefore a large cyclist (by large I mean greater than 180#... come on, >180 is large for a cyclist), especially a SSer should go with a steel or titanium bar which has a far greater number of cycles in its fatigue life.
    Check it- Origin told me in their email that they found the aluminum Spacebar OR to be, "stronger than steel"during testing.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    One better: i believe steel and titanium theoretically don't have a fatigue life like aluminum.

However, I don't think anyone should be afraid of regular risers or flat bars in aluminum, even the strongest ss'er. Aluminum work-hardens and becomes brittle only when it is allowed to flex and most aluminum bars don't flex much, especially compared to a Mary-type design

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I agree that aluminum may have a higher yield strength than steel or titanium. What I am referring to is aluminum's propensity to fail catastrophically. For a variety of reasons the Mary bar (or many other aluminum bars I've seen fail), has a tendency to flex. Flexy feeling aluminum will fail... usually without warning. All I really am saying, without the intent of offending any person, is that one aught to think carefully about all the factors that effect a handlebars strength and to choose one that is appropriate.

mtbr member
    I agree that aluminum may have a higher yield strength than steel or titanium. What I am referring to is aluminum's propensity to fail catastrophically. For a variety of reasons the Mary bar (or many other aluminum bars I've seen fail), has a tendency to flex. Flexy feeling aluminum will fail... usually without warning. All I really am saying, without the intent of offending any person, is that one aught to think carefully about all the factors that effect a handlebars strength and to choose one that is appropriate.
    Yep, thats pretty much what I was trying to say too. All I was trying to add is that most aluminum bars are not very flexy at all, and so are way less likely to fail

Members who have read this thread: 0