Mary questions--upside down and wrapped?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Mary questions--upside down and wrapped?

So I have a Mary bar on the way finally, along with a Surly fork. Planning on going rigid, of course.

As for Mary, I was wondering if anyone ran her upside down, so there was drop instead of rise. Right now I have a flat bar and don't really want a lot of rise, so I figured this might be even better.

Also, I was considering wrapping the bar rather than grips. I have some Oury lock-on grips right now, but I thought if I wrapped it I could go up past the brakes for more hand positions.

Thoughts?

(now that annoying dang message at the top about me not posting can go away.)

large member
    This has been discussed many times over, try the search function. There is also a current thread about this on the 29er forum titled "Something about (inverted) Mary"

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 24601
    So I have a Mary bar on the way finally, along with a Surly fork. Planning on going rigid, of course.

As for Mary, I was wondering if anyone ran her upside down, so there was drop instead of rise. Right now I have a flat bar and don't really want a lot of rise, so I figured this might be even better.

Also, I was considering wrapping the bar rather than grips. I have some Oury lock-on grips right now, but I thought if I wrapped it I could go up past the brakes for more hand positions.

Thoughts?

(now that annoying dang message at the top about me not posting can go away.)
    I tried Mary's flipped and wrapped. It felt okay but I couldn't get the bar height just right and my hands slipped a little too easily. I did have pics but I deleted them a couple of years ago.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mud'n'sweat
    This has been discussed many times over, try the search function. There is also a current thread about this on the 29er forum titled "Something about (inverted) Mary"
    I did search and didn't find exaclty what I was looking for. Guess I should preface with that for the goons who feel the need to post this.

BTW--"try the search function" has been posted many times before, no need to re-post it.

I'll check out the other forum, that at least was worthwhile info.

local trails rider

mtbr member
    I ran flipped Mary's on a track bike and think it would work well if you are not looking for the rise. I also run Black Sheep bars now (Still love the Mary's) and they use a wrap instead of grips. I didn't think I'd like it but have been this way for a year and LOVE IT!! If you have problems with the hands try double wrapping, you would really like that if you have been with the lock-ons for a while.
    Cheers,
    miSSionary
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

SS on your left.

Mary's?

Can someone help me on this one. I've yet to try them. I consider myself a pretty decent rider. I race and ride a 29er SS rigid, with 26" Easton bars. What are the advantages of the Mary's? Are they just a retro thing, "which is ok"?

Thanks,
    DM
    Pain is weakness leaving the body!

French for "Suck"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan M
    What are the advantages of the Mary's?
    For me, they make yanking on the bars while standing and mashing MUCH more comfortable. I used to get blisters on the sides of my hands even with gloves from torquing so hard. With the Mary's, I can rotate my hands to a more natural position (closer to that of drop bars), and the force on the grip is evenly distributed.

I like Mary's for the same reason that people use these:

Misfit Psycles
    So I have a Mary bar on the way finally, along with a Surly fork. Planning on going rigid, of course....Thoughts?
    while not Mary. I run my FU Bar upside down. I have also tried a few versions of tape, Cinelli Cork tape is my fav. If i am feeling really generous I treat myself to gel pads underneath...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

large member
    I did search and didn't find exaclty what I was looking for. Guess I should preface with that for the goons who feel the need to post this.

BTW--"try the search function" has been posted many times before, no need to re-post it.

I'll check out the other forum, that at least was worthwhile info.
    Wow, I try to be helpful and you are just a plain dick in response.

All you had to do was search for something as simple as "Mary" and you would have gotten 200 results, many of which cover your question smart ass.

mtbr member
    200 results to try and sort through to find something near what I want, which I didn't because I searched the SS forum instead of the 29er. You could have just posted the 29er info, you chose to post more to be a jerk.

You might figure after 1000 posts and 2 years here I have searched a time or two before too. If you search and don't find what you are after, then you post. That is how it works.

You could have also chosen to never open the thread if it annoyed you. Either way, you "search" nazis should get a life and move on. Do you ever get positive results to that? I didn't think so.

large member
    Well, if your going to be an ass, at the least you're consistant about it.

I simply suggested a search since the subject has been discussed ad-nauseum as of late. I then went on to even point out a thread for you to get you started even MORE quickly. If you're such a wise ass with your grandious 1,000 post and incredible mtbr search function knowledge, why only search the SS forum?

I thought I was being nice, but obviously you have a major stick up your ass and are bitter about some some comment you obviously misunderstood on the internet. I would have thought anyone with 1,000 post on a forum would understand how easily context can be skewed over the internet. Hopefully you don't beat up your dog over this one. I'm sure he didn't mean to offend you by pushing his empty food bowl towards you.

mtbr member

flipped mary - regular grips

I vote for flipped mary's. I just use regular grips on mine. Feeld just dandy. Those times i'm using the other hand positions are usually not very technical so I don't miss the cushion.

mtbr member
    Flipped, yes. Wrapped, probably not. As for the "function vs. appearance" question, I found them to be both muy comfortable (won't ride an MTB without 'em), and cool-looking to boot, although a lot of people hate the way they look when they're flipped. F'EITCTAJ.
    "America is the greatest country in the world, but that's a lot like being the prettiest waitress at Denny's."

mtbr member
    I used the inverted Marys for a short while after putting a 29er wheel in front of my Inbred. While the hand position is the same as non-inverted, the significant drop had to be addressed with a stem that has a big rise (mine was not big enough and I found myself a little too bent over the cockpit).

In the end, I would invert the Mary only if the geometry makes sense and I don't have to revert to a big rise stem. The Mary look very cool inverted, but I am after function, not form.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Members who have read this thread: 0