mary bars?- Mtbr.com

Thread: mary bars?

mtbr member

mary bars?

Looking at a number of bike builds, I have noticed that quite a few people have mary bars (as well as H bars and drop bars). I was wondering what the advantages of these other options are. Are they more comfortable? do you get more control? easier on the wrists? just look cool? My LBS has a mary bar in their display case that I was thinking about trying out. those of you who have tried them, what are your opinions? thanks, and have a wonderful day.
    sholack

Old, stale, negative
    had mine for a while, getting used to them more all the time. riding traditional mtb bars feels really weird now. comfort is the biggest advantage in IMHO. just did a 24 hour race on them & think i might never go back. i'd say worth a try. good luck.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Yes to all
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

AOF
    soft / 34/ married

Marry Mary, live happily ever after.

I found there was no "getting used to them" for me. They are just that comfy.

I ride a 29er rigid SS, so on standing climbs I have more leg room, same center to center grip section (22.5") with a narrower width than a 27" wide bar. Your arms are in a more natural position to pull up on the bars (easier), and absorb trail irregularities. On descents you can slide your pinky off and have a totally different position than a standard bar (back farther and wider).

I have found no disadvantage besides looks at the trail head, then during the ride, people ask and eventually try. The first word is always "Wow!"
    I am really amazed that they haven't gained more popularity.
    I'll never go back to "standard" mtb bars.

-Dan

EDIT: OK, it does have one disadvantage, if you use a handlebar mounted light for night riding you have no straight area for the mount, at least with my Niterider Classic Dual 20/12.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Southern NH NEMBA & My LBS & My Blog & Single Speed Alliance

Take advantage of every opportunity to ride your bicycle!

Reviewer/Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by sholack
    Looking at a number of bike builds, I have noticed that quite a few people have mary bars (as well as H bars and drop bars). I was wondering what the advantages of these other options are. Are they more comfortable? do you get more control? easier on the wrists? just look cool? My LBS has a mary bar in their display case that I was thinking about trying out. those of you who have tried them, what are your opinions? thanks, and have a wonderful day.
    sholack

*What shiggy said* ... 100%

R.
    It is inevitable ...

King Pin

Upset

The biggest problem I personally have with the Mary bars is the fact that I own five of 'em....and only four bikes to put 'em on currently.

So....I just went ahead and scheduled a new Retrotec build. Must put the extra Mary to good use ya know!

----woof----
    I put them on my cruiser and have found them to be really comfortable. I thought there'd be an adjustment period, but from the first ride they've been ideal. No more wrist strain and no more banging my knees on the bars when climbing out of the saddle. I really didn't notice much of a difference on the descents compared to my Monkeylites either.

Space for rent...
    I am currently "trying out" a set on my rigid 26er. The first time I rode, I immediately noticed better handling, and they were very comfortable.

I have been experiencing lower back/wrist pain for some time now, and after 4 rides, none of these symptoms have be present (fingers crossed). I think I'm sold........
    It's only pain......

mtbr member
    sweet... well... I will just have to spring for them... I think you all have me convinced.

R I D E S T E E L
    Good stuff. I have some, but just switched to the Fleegles. I seem to like them better, though I think the Mary's will be great on the cross bike. I found the bend just a little much for me on the mtn. bike, though I will say they are very comfortable.

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004
    love 'em overall. would like them to be 1-2 inches wider for climbing leverage. I'm still waiting to see Brant's latest...
    the time is right for violent revolution

mtbr member
    May 2004
    hey , hey ,it is "titties and beer" (after a ride thats is)

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Send em my way, I can solve the problem of excess mary!

I just built my full susser back up as a 1x9, and used some Ringle low rise bars. On the ride around the block it felt so wrong! Any bar but mary feels awkward and uncomfortable now, I think I'm spoiled!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sholack
    sweet... well... I will just have to spring for them... I think you all have me convinced.
    I found that in tight turns the inside hand (wrist) has to turn too much and the bar gets closer to the knee.

Besides now that I am a WW I don't want a 315gm bar.

mtbr member
    Can't even think about life without Mary

R I D E S T E E L
    Do you mind if I ask what you are riding? I'm on a WW as well, but running a Fleegle. I like it, just curious what direction you went.

mtbr member
    Had a Unit, now riding a Niner w/Easton carbon bar

Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    I found that in tight turns the inside hand (wrist) has to turn too much and the bar gets closer to the knee...
    That is where you need to keep your elbow closer to your body and rotate your shoulders. Sharp turns have a much "rounder" feel on bars with lots of back sweep.
    I usually have my inside foot back in turns that tight so bar-to-knee clearance is not an issue.
    mtbtires.com

brother on a mission
    Quote Originally Posted by one1spede
    Do you mind if I ask what you are riding? I'm on a WW as well, but running a Fleegle. I like it, just curious what direction you went.
    I think he meant he was a weight weenie.

I ride with Mary bars, and I am very happy with them. The wrist issue is a non-issue for me, and I ride some very tight trails in northern New England.

The one draw back I have found is that with a bar with high sweep, rough downhills can make your hands want to creep forward on the grips.

It does not happen on every ride, and with good gloves it is not as noticable.

mtbr member

With all this positive talk about Mary

I ordered a set at about noon yesterday from On-One, and they shipped UPS yesterday afternoon. Wow, fast. Can't wait to try them out.

Rick
    "Oh, and how dare you accuse me of lying, drinking, getting high" DessertRagged

A_A
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenfix

The one draw back I have found is that with a bar with high sweep, rough downhills can make your hands want to creep forward on the grips.

It does not happen on every ride, and with good gloves it is not as noticable.
    I'm seriously thinking about Mary bars, my only reservation is on rough / rocky downhills is that my hands may want to be driven forward off the grips. When riding w/ drop bars you actually get a better grip on the down hills because your hands are forced into the "hooks" of the bars, w/ the Mary's perhaps the brake levers are the last line of defense if your hands get jarred forward. I currently use a traditional riser bar and I feel that descending is where that style of bar is best, the rest of the time I'm never quite happy with where my hands are. I ride my road bike a lot (GASP) and i really like the ability to change hand positions depending on the riding situation. The Jones bars seem like a nice option for me but I'm hesitant to drop the cash w/out trying the concept first.

R I D E S T E E L
    One thought...I never had my hands creep as I had the ends of the bar turned downwards a bit. It's actually really comfortable, you just need to find the happy medium between riding and what works for climbing. Too far down and it feels strange when climbing.

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by A_A
    I'm seriously thinking about Mary bars, my only reservation is on rough / rocky downhills is that my hands may want to be driven forward off the grips.
    i ride the local chair access DH all the time with my marys, never have that problem. you just get used to riding a different way, no big deal. now that i'm used to them on my SS i'm going to swap them to my FS trail bike and see if i need another set...
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

brother on a mission
    one spede has a good point.

My bars are nearly parallel with the ground. I actually just bolted them up without thinking about it much, and they felt fine, so I have never moved them. Maybe it is time to tinker.

Another caveat is that I am running them with a rigid fork, and I only notice the problem on one particular trail that has a very fast and bumpy (roots, rocks, ruts) section. In all other instances, going up or going down, I like these bars better than the riser I was using.

Quote Originally Posted by A_A
    I'm seriously thinking about Mary bars, my only reservation is on rough / rocky downhills is that my hands may want to be driven forward off the grips. When riding w/ drop bars you actually get a better grip on the down hills because your hands are forced into the "hooks" of the bars, w/ the Mary's perhaps the brake levers are the last line of defense if your hands get jarred forward. I currently use a traditional riser bar and I feel that descending is where that style of bar is best, the rest of the time I'm never quite happy with where my hands are. I ride my road bike a lot (GASP) and i really like the ability to change hand positions depending on the riding situation. The Jones bars seem like a nice option for me but I'm hesitant to drop the cash w/out trying the concept first.
    For rough/rocky (and any) descending I much prefer drop bars to the Jones bars. Much more secure grip.
    The Jones and Mary are still better than a straight bar for me.
    I have not ridden the Mary bar off road much.
    mtbtires.com

wait a minute....

havent had a problem

[QUOTE=A_A] my only reservation is on rough / rocky downhills is that my hands may want to be driven forward off the grips.
    I went to pisgah several times with them on my 5spot. I rode black mountain,plenty rough and rooty.I never had an issue.I like the way when you move your hands toward the ends of the bars it also moves you back. kinda like a shorter stem and a little wider bar.

Members who have read this thread: 0