Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,099

    Mary bar madness

    I definitely have too much time on my hands. I'll let you know how I like this setup maybe tomorrow if I can go try it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Sofa King We Todd Did
    Reputation: SpinWheelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,262
    Holy mackerel, did you tape over the brake lever clamps as well? I wanted to do the same with my cruiser bars and thought the better of it for fear that I'd end up with an uncomfortable ridge...

  3. #3
    Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Reputation: OneGearGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,709

    look's good, Nat

    reminds me of my own anal-retentive bar tape jobs. veddy, veddy nice.
    give us the report. i went with the H-bar myself (easier to get 'em for one thing; Ti bliss for seconds)
    OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

  4. #4
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,099
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    Holy mackerel, did you tape over the brake lever clamps as well? I wanted to do the same with my cruiser bars and thought the better of it for fear that I'd end up with an uncomfortable ridge...
    So that's why my bars look familiar!

  5. #5
    Recovering couch patato
    Reputation: Cloxxki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,017
    Here's my Poor Man's H-Bar again. Litech Trekking bar, 267g, 605mm, 50 backsweep, 1.5" rise/drop, little forward sweep.

    It rides just fine, although I wish it had more forward sweep (mine slip in the Ritchey Pro stem under impacts).
    A bit less backsweep would be nice, to get some extra width in the process.
    The flex doesn't bother me, but I do without it.

    Oops, guess what I need...


  6. #6
    Fixed and single.
    Reputation: mordecai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    336
    I tried the same for my first setup but it was way too much drop for my own liking. Let us know what you think. Here's my take.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,931

    And pretty maids all in a row.

    I have a Mary bar too. It make the bike feel like a comfortable cruiser. But ... on steep climbs my hands were farther back than usual and the wrist was off angle, with a straight bar the hands can rotate as the terrain tilts. On tight turns the natural feel became unnatural as the inside wrist was twisted in and under, and my leg was hitting the bar. I'm back to my old bars.

  8. #8
    Steel and teeth.
    Reputation: b1umb0y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    I have a Mary bar too. It make the bike feel like a comfortable cruiser. But ... on steep climbs my hands were farther back than usual and the wrist was off angle, with a straight bar the hands can rotate as the terrain tilts. On tight turns the natural feel became unnatural as the inside wrist was twisted in and under, and my leg was hitting the bar. I'm back to my old bars.
    Yeah, me too... I wasn't a fan of it off-road. It ended up on my commuter and is loved and appreciated there so far. On a side note, I haven't noticed the lateral hand placement slowing Slim Jim down. He is still zippy as always! I guess it is the never-ending case of 'different strokes for different folks'.

    b1umb0y

  9. #9
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,099
    Quote Originally Posted by b1umb0y
    Yeah, me too... I wasn't a fan of it off-road. It ended up on my commuter and is loved and appreciated there so far. On a side note, I haven't noticed the lateral hand placement slowing Slim Jim down. He is still zippy as always! I guess it is the never-ending case of 'different strokes for different folks'.

    b1umb0y
    Nope. Inverted Mary's wasn't happening for me. Didn't like it. Back to normal now. Move it along; nothing to see here.

  10. #10
    giddyup!
    Reputation: NRSLove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    68

    Greengo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I definitely have too much time on my hands. I'll let you know how I like this setup maybe tomorrow if I can go try it out.
    Nat, did you get a dos niner? What happened to the Rig?

    -E
    What do you want to get enlightened for? You may not like it. -Shunryu Suzuki

  11. #11
    Fixed and single.
    Reputation: mordecai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by b1umb0y
    Yeah, me too... I wasn't a fan of it off-road. It ended up on my commuter and is loved and appreciated there so far. On a side note, I haven't noticed the lateral hand placement slowing Slim Jim down. He is still zippy as always! I guess it is the never-ending case of 'different strokes for different folks'.

    b1umb0y
    Hey Dave, what mtn bike did you try it on? The Bonty?

  12. #12
    Steel and teeth.
    Reputation: b1umb0y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by mordecai
    Hey Dave, what mtn bike did you try it on? The Bonty?
    Yeah... The old Bonti was my test-subject. Not overly successful, but I found a good place for them.

    b1umb0y

    ps. Are you riding tonight? We need a good spanking. Especially doper.

  13. #13
    Fixed and single.
    Reputation: mordecai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by b1umb0y
    Yeah... The old Bonti was my test-subject. Not overly successful, but I found a good place for them.

    b1umb0y

    ps. Are you riding tonight? We need a good spanking. Especially doper.
    Yeah I'll be there with bells on! BTW, who is "doper"?

  14. #14
    Steel and teeth.
    Reputation: b1umb0y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by mordecai
    Yeah I'll be there with bells on! BTW, who is "doper"?

    Jeffe.

    I guess he has medical reasons for taking a UCI-banned substance... but it sure is fun to poke at him...

    d./

  15. #15
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,099
    Quote Originally Posted by NRSLove
    Nat, did you get a dos niner? What happened to the Rig?

    -E
    Yep, the DN was a mother's day present for Dana (but I ride it when she's not looking). I still have the Rig. After riding the Salsa though, the Rig feels dull.

  16. #16
    giddyup!
    Reputation: NRSLove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    68

    Nice!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Yep, the DN was a mother's day present for Dana (but I ride it when she's not looking). I still have the Rig. After riding the Salsa though, the Rig feels dull.
    That's excellent!

    Now I just have to get Amy to head down and check out your medium Blur.
    What do you want to get enlightened for? You may not like it. -Shunryu Suzuki

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SeamusCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    183

    Question

    What kind of tape are you guys using? Is it plain old cinelli cork? or??

    TIA,

    Jim

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fanzy38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    66

    New question here. Mary on old stems ?

    Hi Guys,

    Did someone tried to mount a Mary bar with a classical stem (one that does not open on the front) ?
    Could be cool looking on my Retrotec, but I only have an old 1", quill Control-Tech....

    Francois

  19. #19
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,099
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamusCA
    What kind of tape are you guys using? Is it plain old cinelli cork? or??

    TIA,

    Jim
    I used Cinelli cork gel, same as i like for my road bike.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J-RAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    251
    Though it would look cool, I doubt you will get it on one of those stems!

  21. #21
    Sofa King We Todd Did
    Reputation: SpinWheelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,262
    Up next, I'm gonna mount my Midge bar upside down!

Similar Threads

  1. There's something about Mary
    By AteMrYeats in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-07-2005, 07:47 PM
  2. Mounting Grips (Mary Bar)
    By Greenfix in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-01-2005, 06:16 AM
  3. Oversize bar Madness
    By Kracker in forum Turner
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-09-2005, 03:59 PM
  4. Which bar for 29er: Flat or Riser?
    By tamjam in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-17-2004, 11:25 PM
  5. Bar Ends -or- No Bar Ends
    By htims_nivek in forum Riding Passion and Stories
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-22-2004, 10:15 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.