Mariachi: All Forked Up- Mtbr.com
    surly inbred

Mariachi: All Forked Up

Posting here as well as you ******* might have some insight from a one gear perspective.

After 1 1/2 years of rigid Grande, I feel like a rusty wet lawn chair (with a hole in the drink holder) floppin in the breeze with the sussy fork.

Random thoughts by LazyBass:

* 100mm travel is quite a geo change... prolly gotta live with it a bit to get acclimated
    * I can't make a switchback if I wanted.. up or down. She 'flops' mid turn & I snowplow (for lack of better verbage)
    * Small stuff, aka. repetitive roots suck the life outta me... i feel like I'm working twice as hard as the rigid.
    * I can go Ludicrous speed with suspenders... maybe everything is amplified 'til I get accustomed?
    * My 2009(?) fork won't lockout which flags fluid level issues & a service session is en route, which may impact current handling characteristics.

Particulars: 165# nekid, with an affinity for IPA's & long walks on the beach.

I've had a fair sampling of brew this evening so keep in mind that interpretation is 11/10th's of something.

Damm she looks pretty, though...

Untitled by scc4, on Flickr

ps. Haven't been by lately & wondering how uMartha's ******** is?

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Can you reduce it?
    Then you can still get giggy with it, while not being all flippy floppy.
    I tried a 100mm on my KM and it was like riding a chopper.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Glad someone is still keeping interesting alive.

Even if suspension forks are for pussies.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    Glad someone is still keeping interesting alive.

I like pussies more than suspension forks.
    However, I've had fun with a suspension fork more recently than pussies.

Last edited by CB2; 07-18-2012 at 01:14 PM.

The need for singlespeed
    No specific help here, but indeed that is a pretty bike. I prefer a shorter travel fork and believe the lockout is a crutch.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I use(d) a 100mm fork on MCF, which is supposed to have 80mm. Slack head angle is a win and the handling is something you will get used to.

Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    I like pussies more than suspension forks.
    However, I've had fun with a suspension fork more recently than pussies.
    I hope that means you went on a ride very recently.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    100mm all the way.....especially for us Western Mass folks.

surly inbred
    Speaking of ****s... I've missed your tender words.

Is your bff sParTy still alive? I just got back from playing Utard again. I was hoping to drag P_nut down the spiraling drain that is my life for some antics but we couldn't connect... I'm sure he was busy being heroic & putting out wildfires (or generally being constructive.)

I just finished repacking my rear Pro so she's hush hush again for awhile. That means it's time for beer. Or more beer. Whatever. Tonight I plan to find one of them plastiky spacers before I get completely ****faced, so I can give 80mm travel a go for reference.

We'll see.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
    Speaking of ****s... I've missed your tender words.

Is your bff sParTy still alive? I just got back from playing Utard again. I was hoping to drag P_nut down the spiraling drain that is my life for some antics but we couldn't connect... I'm sure he was busy being heroic & putting out wildfires (or generally being constructive.)

I just finished repacking my rear Pro so she's hush hush again for awhile. That means it's time for beer. Or more beer. Whatever. Tonight I plan to find one of them plastiky spacers before I get completely ****faced, so I can give 80mm travel a go for reference.

We'll see.
    Sparty got keeled over by a girl, so he is pretty AWOL. We did ride together recently and spent way too much time trying to cut out a tree that was bigger than my saw. And yes, I ride with a saw.

Sorry about my own absence, but I've been busy and there are too many ******bags (the not funny kind) on mtbr. OMG! The cog you knew you had to wait for you are having to wait for!

I'm pounding some IPAs tonight. Nothing beats a west coast IPA. I got one a-brewin' right now that should top 100 IBUs.

Don't bother with 80mm. Might as well ride rigid.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    is that a terralogic fork? if so you can tune it pretty much anyway you want it so it does not dive on you under hard braking
    Friends don't let friends ride geared bikes

mtbr member
    I recently upgraded my wifes rigid SS with a used 100mm fox fork. It slackened the steering out some but overall is a much softer ride, you know, cause she is a lady. I think its actually a better riding bicycle with the slower steering (26" monocog flight).

Hopefully because your FOX isn't a newer model you can just forget about it and ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zaskaranddriver View Post
    No specific help here, but indeed that is a pretty bike. I prefer a shorter travel fork and believe the lockout is a crutch.
    Crutch? Fluid push-loc is my favorite dang feature.

"If it ain't moto, it's worthless"

Bad cat!
    All I can contribute is, hey, tasty el mar.

Just add fluid to the rider, don't sweat the fork...a couple ipa's pre-ride is as good as full 'spension any day, not to mention heroic downhill speed and switchback rodeos...but since I've been riding rigid a lot more I've developed a serious hate for climbing with any squish going on up front--no can lockout on brother Fox?

SS Pusher Man
    Not quite sure what you are complaining about.

Run a 120mm Reba RLT Ti on my Mariachi. Rides great. I know it is longer than designed for in the frame....but by the time I sag 25% I am below the 100mm it was designed for.

I don't find it to be floppy at all. Have no problems with switchbacks. Then again I spent a lotta years on long travel bikes, so slacked out front ends seem normal.

Sounds like you just need to suck it up and get used to the slacker geometry. With the rigid fork, you got used the twitchy fast, pivot on a grain of rice handling characteristics.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Not quite sure what you are complaining about.... I ... I ...I ...Then again I ... Sounds like you just need to suck it up

Strong work ******bag.

surly inbred
    ... and there are too many ******bags (the not funny kind) on mtbr.
    It's all coming back to me now...

Brewing your own? Noice. Let me know when you need sales & marketing on the Least coast.

surly inbred
    Updatus on the statusus...

100mm on the El Mar is a no go for me. After a dozen'ish rides & a full fork service I can say the Fox is dialed, but feels like ****. I dropped to 80mm & life is good again.

Note..

I ride tight twisty eastern spaghetti. 100mm would be totally acceptable for my geared Park City outings (lock & climb... then down.) I still have a wandering eye on a Nimble that I think would pair nicely w/100mm while the Spanish Guitar resumes rigid wanderings.

Anyhoo, that's my $.02.

80mm feels like 6" when you've been rippin the rigid for so long.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post

80mm feels like 6" when you've been rippin the rigid for so long.
    That's what she said.

Members who have read this thread: 0