Manitou Black crown race help - SDizzle or others?- Mtbr.com
    indigosky

Manitou Black crown race help - SDizzle or others?

I just installed a new Manitou Black Elite on the Surly last night. When I took the crown race off of the old fork (Marz), it was tight on the steerer tube, but when I "installed" the crown race on the Black it just dropped all the way down the steerer tube and into place (instead of having to pound it into place). It doesn't have a lot of play side to side, but I can spin it with my fingers if I really try. I think the problem lies in the fact that the Cane Creek S2 crown race is filleted (see attached picture).

Three questions:

Did I get a bum steerer tube on my fork?

Will this make a difference, i.e. will I always feel like I have a loose headset?

Does a Chris King (or other) headset not have the filleted area on the inside of the crown race, so that it would make "full contact" with the steerer tube?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

if you dare

If you want the race to fit snugly there is a easy trick we use in the shop. What you need to do is rough up the steerer tube. If you use a punch and a hammer you can make some rough spots (almost ripples) where the race will make contact. Then when you install the race you will have a snug fit. I assume that many people will scoff at this idea, but it works in a pinch and seems to hold well in the long haul. I have seen/heard of this done for years.
    "Take it easy, if it's easy...take it again"

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Is it possible that the crown race was "deformed" while on the Marzocchi? Before you go modifying the fork steerer to make the current race fit, try a new race - or a different new race to see how that fits.

We get titles?

I had the same problem

I had the same problem but in reverse. When I took the race off my Manitou Black, it slid right off, then when I installed it on my Super T, it was equally loose. I called Cane Creek and they sent me a new race for free. That race went on nice and tight. Our problems aren't identical, but I'd suggest you try a new race before you go pounding the crap out of your steerer.

indigosky

I just put in a call to Cane Creek...

I left a message with them, hopefully they will call back soon.

Does the Chris King have the filleted crown race? Might be a nice excuse for an upgrade.

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    Certainly see about getting a new crown race. It's possible your old one did in fact "stretch" on your old fork, but I'd be surprised if the steerers/race-seats were actually different sizes.

I'd try installing it as it is! Just crank down on it as tight as you normally do, tight enough that the headset starts to bind, and back it off a bit. Go ahead and ride it if there's no noticable play - play that you can discern comes from the headset - as steerers are innately flexy. Some goopy Loctite might be in order, and consider the dimpling technique noted above - sounded like a good idea to me, and you're not really at risk of eff'ing up either interface. I always use a spring-type conical race to fit a needle bearing headset, and haven't pressed a crown on in ages, so I can't offer much more advice. Good luck - S
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by indigosky
    I left a message with them, hopefully they will call back soon.

Does the Chris King have the filleted crown race? Might be a nice excuse for an upgrade.
    The King does have a small chamfer (chamfer is the correct term, a fillet is an area that is built up). The photo is a bit fuzzy, but it shows the King race w/ their chamfer.
    mike
    Last edited by ssmike; 08-19-2006 at 08:06 AM.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

huh.

i'm running the same fork (well, a super air, but still a black) & headset with no problems. crown race seated snugly on; in fact it required a few whacks with a DAS mallet on the install tool. i'd start with a new crown race and take it from there.