Making a Lemans RS singlespeed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Making a Lemans RS singlespeed

Hello all. Recently I bought a great condition (save for a little rust) Centurion Lemans RS for 15 bucks at Goodwill. Using some parts I have from an old Trek 930, I would like to make the Centurion a singlespeed commuter/urban bike. I have no experience with singlespeed and just want to know the best way to make an old bike like this a singlespeed. I plan to put the straight bars from the Trek on to it and maybe the cranks as well, as I am not a fan of Biopace chainrings. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Sorry, can't give you much advice on the conversion -- but I have almost the exact Trek 930 frame. Mine is a 97. What year is yours? I was thinking of making the 930 into a SS.
    Either you rode today, or you didn't.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Why change the bars?

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006
    Swap chainrings, leave the cranks alone. As for a flat bar, I've ridden a road bike SS with a flat bar, and my opinion is that it sucks. Maybe try a mustache bar. Aside from that, take apart the cassette and use the cog that feels best and get the right chain tension. You really don't need much else.

mtbr member
    The Trek is a 1996 I believe. And the reason I want to put the straight bars on is that I think they would be more comfortable on shorter riders, which is what this bike will be used for. My commute to Hopkins isn't that far.

Members who have read this thread: 0