Thread: makin it SS

mtbr member

makin it SS

So I recently just bought an older road bike and I want to make it a singlespeed, Can I do it with my existing cassette and gears or do I need to buy new things for it. My mountain bike is not a singlespeed and I have no idea how to make my newly bought bike a singlespeed. Any input is appreciated.
    Ballzonya!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    yes you should be able to buy a kit to be able to take the casset off if its not a free hub (i think thats what its called) but what i have done in the past is just take the casset off and then re dish the wheel and just put a free wheel like you would see on a bmx bike on the back

mtbr member
    hmmm I have no idea what you just said. I have to buy a kit I can't use my existing components?
    Ballzonya!

local trails rider
    I let the LBS do the conversion for me, except I removed the deraileurs, cables and shifters before riding the bike there. I just shortened the chain, put it on gears that let the chain run roughly straight and installed a tensioner because there was too much slack chain. The LBS put on a new crankset (needed replacing anyway) and the single rear cog and spacers on the cassette hub.

An "older" bike might have a rear hub that is not compatible with this system.

mtbr member
    what price range are we talking about generally speaking. This is a bike that I ride to school and around town on and I think it would be fun to try it out but I'm not looking to spend a lot of money, >$100 if possible
    Ballzonya!

local trails rider
    Try these guys for Surly parts:
    BIKE PEDDLER
    605 COLLEGE AVENUE
    SANTA ROSA, CA 95404

or check out misfitpsycles:
    http://psyclestore.com/index.php?cPa...69074706c3813a

Members who have read this thread: 0