Make a singlespeed cassette hub: deore/lx/xt/xtr hub + DX cassette body + spacers?- Mtbr.com
    blame me for missed rides

Idea! Make a singlespeed cassette hub: deore/lx/xt/xtr hub + DX cassette body + spacers?

okay, so shimano freehub bodies are interchangeable, right? say i screw a dx freehub body (#15) onto a regular rear hub and re-space the thing, wouldn't i get a cassette singlespeed hub out of this?

so...does anyone know how much shorter the dx freehub body is compared to a 9 speed freehub body?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg dx.JPG (36.4 KB, 4232 views)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    bmx bikes have a different dropout spacing than mountain bikes so make sure you can still get the proper axel length on the altered hub. don't really know if its possible or not. post if you get it to work!

Medium?

Didn't you have to...

...start with a SS Cassette hub to get the part, or can you get just that part? If you have to respace it anyway, it's not that much harder to replace the axle in the DX hub. What am I missing? The hub body of that DX hub might actually be the exact same casting as an XT or Deore hub. Anyone ever measure the two?

jrm
    mtbr member

Surly

Quote Originally Posted by weather
    okay, so shimano freehub bodies are interchangeable, right? say i screw a dx freehub body (#15) onto a regular rear hub and re-space the thing, wouldn't i get a cassette singlespeed hub out of this?

so...does anyone know how much shorter the dx freehub body is compared to a 9 speed freehub body?
    Surly makes a 8/9 speed converter. But what folks here have said about it is that you cant fine tune the chainline.

i think you can order the cassette body thru lbs. if you already have a rear wheel replacing teh cassette body is easier/cheaper than building another one wheel using the dx hubs (which are 36h only).

Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    Surly makes a 8/9 speed converter. But what folks here have said about it is that you cant fine tune the chainline.
    i know, i have one. it's a pain to take the freewheel off to change the gear ratio.

Medium?

It's even easier...

i think you can order the cassette body thru lbs. if you already have a rear wheel replacing teh cassette body is easier/cheaper than building another one wheel using the dx hubs (which are 36h only).
    ...to just use spacers on the original hub. Good points about rebuilding the wheel and the 36h issue though. I haven't changed ratios in a couple years, so that's not a big issue for me.

Ron
    mtbr member

QBP has the freehub

This is from HammerHeads website
    Shimano
    DX Freehub body (FW8910)
    $19.95

I hope someone tries this out.

Cracker-magnon

It's been done...

The Tractor, formerly Mr. Tokyo did this. here is the thread from the old board:

Mr. Tokyo's XT/DX hub conversion
    "Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

get down!
    I'm also getting one made by my friend Curtis, he posts here but I can't remember his handle. Hopefully I'll have it and it'll be done by the Midwest SUmmit if anyone wants to see one
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

Single Speed Cyclist
    Jan 2004

AppleSSed's freehub conversion

Ok, so the parts arrived today for AppleSSeed's wheel...here is what you do:

XT disc hub , DX freehub body, 10x1mm Solid axle 174mm long, 10x1mm axle nuts, and some axle spacers.

Take the XT disc hub, scrap the Freehub and Q/R axle. Install the DX freehub body/ solid axle and space the drive side axle locknut out to 135mm away from the non drive side locknut. The DX freehub is shorter than the original 9spd XT, so this requires 5-10mm of spacers. It is important not to alter the axle spacing on the non drive side, as this will affect the disc brake set up. The SS cog can then be adjusted for a perfect chainline by arranging the 3 spacers and a cog on the DX freehub.

It has been 6 months since I have done one of these conversions, so I do not have the specific axle spacer sizes. I wll take a few pics of the project as I am building it, and follow up with more specific instructions. This makes a really bomber SS disc rear hub, the last one I built was for a 230 lb friend of mine and he has had no problems.

Steamroller

PVC spacers?

I heard many times that spacers can be made from PVC. It seems like this would be good, you could get your chainline dialed then make 2 perfect size spacers to keep it there. Do these stand the test of time and abuse? What size is the PCV, and what type (electrical, water, or) it seems like a UV stabilized PVC would be good.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    PVC works awesome as a cassette spacer, but it's very difficult to cut narrow. I used aluminum spacers to find my perfect chainline, and cut two pieces of PVC to fit either side of my King Cog/Ritchey hub. It's very hard to cut the pipe straight. If it's not right (ie, perpendicular), something bad will happen--but I'm not sure what.

The best thing about PVC spacers is they will fit a standard lockring, which many al spacers will not. The PVC is stinking beefy, and won't stretch over the lockring, however small. It also fits very tightly on the cassette body.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

ballbuster

I jus ttook a couple of old cheap cruddy cassettes...

...and drilled out the rivets (non XT spider type cassettes) and stole the spacers out, stacked them up with a cog in the middle and lock ring squishing them together, and viola! Single speed!

I'd be a little weary about using such a small BMX freehub. You'll prolly have to run a bunch of spacers on the axle, which will put a bunch of load on that outer drive side bearing and you may end up bending axles easily.

I just finished the 'test build'. I have a few minor issues to work out, but I'm nearly done. I'll post pix.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    http://www.bti-usa.com/item.asp?item...e=&itemsearch=

maybe this will help.i dont have time too read everybodies post

One gear to rule them all

Why?

I don't know why you would want to make the change to a disc brake hub? That would not change the dish and would move the cog and bearing further in. IMO it would make the hub weaker.
    If you are using rim brakes that would be a nice modification. You could respace the axle to have little or no dish on the hub. A stronger wheel.
    My $.02

Quote Originally Posted by 32seventeen
    I don't know why you would want to make the change to a disc brake hub? That would not change the dish and would move the cog and bearing further in. IMO it would make the hub weaker.
    If you are using rim brakes that would be a nice modification. You could respace the axle to have little or no dish on the hub. A stronger wheel.
    My $.02
    ??

i never said i'm changing to a disc brake hub. i'm on ceramics right now and feel no need to.

One gear to rule them all

Good job!

Hey weather, I know that you did not say for disc brake hub. I was just saying that it would be good idea for rim brakes, bad idea for disc brakes.
    I was thinking of doing that mod myself. Then I went to disc, and bought a Woodman, SS disc hub. It's Great cheap SS disc hub, sealed too.
    If you try the conversion, post some pics.

i never said i'm changing to a disc brake hub. i'm on ceramics right now and feel no need to.[/QUOTE]

Retro Grouch

This what it looks like...

Quote Originally Posted by 32seventeen
    Hey weather, I know that you did not say for disc brake hub. I was just saying that it would be good idea for rim brakes, bad idea for disc brakes.
    I was thinking of doing that mod myself. Then I went to disc, and bought a Woodman, SS disc hub. It's Great cheap SS disc hub, sealed too.
    If you try the conversion, post some pics.
    I just recently went to the Novatec (same as Woodman) hub and I agree it seems to be a good hub, considering its the only other SS/cassette/disc/(and now)QR hub besides the more pricey King. Here's a photo of the XT/DX conversion from the Mr Tokoyo's thread. Jeeese, I hope SS Ryder dosen't just chuck the XT freewheel, Shimano charges almost as much for those as the hub.

1G1G, Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aka brad; 03-05-2004 at 02:55 PM.

Steamroller
    Quote Originally Posted by SDizzle
    PVC works awesome as a cassette spacer, but it's very difficult to cut narrow. I used aluminum spacers to find my perfect chainline, and cut two pieces of PVC to fit either side of my King Cog/Ritchey hub. It's very hard to cut the pipe straight. If it's not right (ie, perpendicular), something bad will happen--but I'm not sure what.

The best thing about PVC spacers is they will fit a standard lockring, which many al spacers will not. The PVC is stinking beefy, and won't stretch over the lockring, however small. It also fits very tightly on the cassette body.
    Thanks, What size PVC do you use? Do you think I could cut it straight successfully on my miter chop saw?
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    I don't know what size it is. If you take any part of a cassette with you, the proper size will jump off the rack at you. There just aren't that many sizes available; finding the right one is very easy.

I used a chop saw for mine, and made a big mess. It's the best way to get them straight, but I still had to sand them afterwards, just to get them perfect (use a very flat surface, a steady hand, and go slow with some 200 grit). That sh*t is very bad to breathe, though, so wear a particulate respirator.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

Members who have read this thread: 0