Magic Motorcycle Cranks on a singlespeed- Mtbr.com
    BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Magic Motorcycle Cranks on a singlespeed

I just got a pair of magic motorcycle cranks and I am planning to put them on my single speed. I was wondering if anyone was using them on their singlespeed and if so what type of ring/bash guard are you using. Also do you have any pics?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BJF
    I just got a pair of magic motorcycle cranks and I am planning to put them on my single speed. I was wondering if anyone was using them on their singlespeed and if so what type of ring/bash guard are you using. Also do you have any pics?

Thanks
    No, they will not work so you should give them to me!! Seriously, I have used them and they worked great, they are amazing cranks. I messed up one of my arms so I gave up on them. I just used a regular Race Face basher with a 32 t Salsa ring.

-t
    wow, this hurts more than it used to.

no fat chicks
    are those the cranks that make motorcycle noises when you pedal?
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed racer 30-34 age group

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketoridebikes
    are those the cranks that make motorcycle noises when you pedal?
    Yes...BBRRRRAAAAAPAPPPPPPPPPPPPAPPPPPP!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by TommyKnocker
    Yes...BBRRRRAAAAAPAPPPPPPPPPPPPAPPPPPP!!!!
    In that case, save the money and use baseball cards in the spokes... or eat bean burritos

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    How about this one. The cranks are made for one ring. Does that mean I cant use a bash guard? If I mounted the ring on the inside it wont sit on anything like a typical middle ring would.
    The best that i can recall when I worked on some, you could mount the ring on the inside with some longer bolts, I suppose, but that could/will throw your chainline off.

I wonder out loud if there isn't a reason your couldn't put that in the inside position and leave the outer ring as your chainring? Yeah, it'd look awkward... if it'd work at all.

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

amusing but still no help

How about this one. The cranks are made for one ring. Does that mean I cant use a bash guard? If I mounted the ring on the inside it wont sit on anything like a typical middle ring would.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Just use spacers, longer bolts and mount the bash guard on the outside of the ring. You may need to cut the bash guard to clear the crank arm.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It doesn't sound like a problem becasue of the Magic cranks but rather they are a road set? 130mm? Otherwise they would have bolt holes for a granny. If it is a road set, you may have Q problems with chainstay clearance. Also, you will need to use another ring and shave off the teeth, use spacers and longer bolts and mount it on the outside.

-tom

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Explanations in pictures

I think I have made this more confusing then it needs to be. I have a set of cranks that are mountain not road. They were made for one ring because they are originally downhill cranks. My question is if you look at the spider in the pic it has a spot for the ring on the outside and no grooves on the inside. Does that mean the ring has to be on the ouside and no bashguard can be used. I always thought rings have to sit on the spider and line up with the slots/grooves. If I mount on the inside it just kinda sits on the spider.

Does this make sense?
    Attached Images Attached Images

no fat chicks
    you could just not use a bashguard
    but watch out because my buddy did that
    and all of a sudden he was slow
    and then i think he got cancer

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Awesome

That was a great response. I think I care less about the bash guard and more about how the hell does this work. Also my current cranks the chain ring is mounted on the inside so with these cranks will mounting it on the outside give me cancer or screw up the chianline terribly?

no fat chicks
    That was a great response. I think I care less about the bash guard and more about how the hell does this work. Also my current cranks the chain ring is mounted on the inside so with these cranks will mounting it on the outside give me cancer or screw up the chianline terribly?
    both
    now go pick up an allen wrench and put it together and see what happens
    or wait for the one other person on earth that has those cranks on their single speed to respond to your question

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Bitter

Am I the only person on earth who appreciates these cranks and think they will be sweet on my singlespeed?

Out spokin'

No

Absolutely not. It's just that most of us don't know. But it sure is fun to follow along.

--Sparty

Am I the only person on earth who appreciates these cranks and think they will be sweet on my singlespeed?
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just don't listen to ILTRB and his flippant, ridiculous, inane and downright unhelpful comments. Yes they are sweet cranks and yes you can use them on your singlespeed.

Regarding the grooves - they do not really do anything to support the chainring, they just help center it - the bolts bear all of the force. Therefore you have no problem mounting the ring on the inner side - you may just need to be a bit more careful in making sure the ring is centered on the crank.

Sam

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Finally .....

An answer that makes sense. I always thought the grooves did something. So I guess that means if I want I can mount a bash guard on the outside and the ring on the inside like any other set of cranks. Wont it look wierd without the grooves to sit on?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bjf
    Wont it look wierd without the grooves to sit on?
    How many people look at the inside of your cranks?

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Well

Quote Originally Posted by Singular
    How many people look at the inside of your cranks?

There is mom, dad, aunt judy, uncle sam but sam can't see to good.

no fat chicks
    Quote Originally Posted by Singular
    Just don't listen to ILTRB and his flippant, ridiculous, inane and downright unhelpful comments. Yes they are sweet cranks and yes you can use them on your singlespeed.

Regarding the grooves - they do not really do anything to support the chainring, they just help center it - the bolts bear all of the force. Therefore you have no problem mounting the ring on the inner side - you may just need to be a bit more careful in making sure the ring is centered on the crank.

Sam
    so hey there sheldon brown
    would you care to give us a first hand performance review of that setup on your bike

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

not a problem

need to order ring and guard now

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Bottom line you are not going to know if the cranks will work until you mount them on your bike. The chainline will be what it is. These are older Cannondale/CODA cranks and they may not use the same specs as current crank sets for chainline, BB width, and such.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    An answer that makes sense. I always thought the grooves did something. So I guess that means if I want I can mount a bash guard on the outside and the ring on the inside like any other set of cranks. Wont it look wierd without the grooves to sit on?
    Better late than never. Your probably going to have a problem running the ring on the inside if you not running a tensioner. I did basically the same thing and the chainring bolts dont hold the ring centered exactly on the spider and the chain tightens and slackens a lot, looks like a clown car wheel when you pedal. The tabs on the front will keep the ring centered and actually bear a lot of the torque force keeping the chainring bolts from seeing so much sheer load. I don't run a bash guard because I've never needed one in SoCal and I personally don't like the way they look.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Members who have read this thread: 0