Mag ik me even voorstellen?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Mag ik me even voorstellen?

Or translated, May I introduce myself. I'm Rob and I live in the Netherlands.

After lurking for a while I thought I ought to say hello. I've been riding SS with my Cross Check since January to work (35 km commute @ 38x14). Last week I took delivery of my 1x1 and thought I'd send some pictures to the board. I'm starting off with 32x16 tosee how I get on. I've changed the cable ties on the top tube for stick on cable holders so now it's a combo of pink and black.

I've noticed that some of you view pink as passe, but I would answer that a German philosipher once said that when the end of the world came, he would move to Holland as everything happens 15 years later there. So I'm currently 14 years ahead of the game here!

Had a lot of fun going around my local course, could clear all the climbs but I did some almost standing still with a lot of grunting!

Regards,
    Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It seems the Netherlands has good visual appreciaton

Very nice lighting, it makes a home comfortable.
    Nice ride and a nice kid too.
    What's the terrain like in the Netherlands?

US SS'ers note that there are no couches or underwear holding up the bike!

Quote Originally Posted by English Bob
    Or translated, May I introduce myself. I'm Rob and I live in the Netherlands.

After lurking for a while I thought I ought to say hello. I've been riding SS with my Cross Check since January to work (35 km commute @ 38x14). Last week I took delivery of my 1x1 and thought I'd send some pictures to the board. I'm starting off with 32x16 tosee how I get on. I've changed the cable ties on the top tube for stick on cable holders so now it's a combo of pink and black.

I've noticed that some of you view pink as passe, but I would answer that a German philosipher once said that when the end of the world came, he would move to Holland as everything happens 15 years later there. So I'm currently 14 years ahead of the game here!

Had a lot of fun going around my local course, could clear all the climbs but I did some almost standing still with a lot of grunting!

Regards,
    Rob

mtbr member

Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by steelbike
    Terrain? I heard elsewhere of someone was looking for a topographic map of the Netherlands. There aren't any! All the elevations are negative.
    Why are the Dutch the tallest people in Europe? Survival of the fittest, when the dikes break ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi Rob,

Great looking bike. This Pink 1*1 brings the total of SS-ers to three in our Rotterdam mountainbike-group. Keep it rigid, you will love it.
    Be warned though, you will never touch your other bikes (how many?) again.

On our next trip to Winterberg we will be riding SS together.

Marco

Holy Chromoly!!
    Rob!

Pimpy kleurtje man. Leuk aparaat.

For those that do not know what the Netherlands look like; those dykes and windmills... are for what I say 5% what you'll see in this country. Though that surrounding is the closest to our National Airport, that's what most foreign people ever get to see of our country. I'm glad that we have some very nice riding around the middle of the Netherlands were there is some 'accentuated' terrain, as well as way down south, where we also have some serious 'mountainbikeable' terrain.

And no, our woods are not covered with pod or other 'smokeable stuff'...
    No, I am not retro.... I am way ahead of my time...

"...though a lot of marijuana was smoked in the early days of mountain bike development, not all of the riders were potsmoking hippies... " Frank J. Berto

Who's that f#$king Doug Lexington?!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by steelbike
    Very nice lighting, it makes a home comfortable.
    Nice ride and a nice kid too.

US SS'ers note that there are no couches or underwear holding up the bike!

Hi Steelbike,

The terrain depens on where you go...
    In the south in Limburg it's very hilly and clay underground.
    In the north it's flatter and sandy.
    Where I'm at in Rotterdam, our local course is mud, mud, mud in winter which drains well and the course is known for being hilly. We're organising a race this week with 140m climbing for each 7km loop which may not sound like much compared to Colorado, where I had a great time especially at that altitude ;-). If you want, there are photos and films of the area at our clubsite, www.dirtyhill.nl

Probably one of the things to take into account with gearing is a trade off between long, flat single track and short climbs at 1:4.

Rob

JJT
    mtbr member
    Hey Rob (en Pottser),

(Sorry, have to say some words in Dutch to these guys)

Ziet er goed uit, ook al is ie roze

Zin om mee te doen aan het Open Nederlands Kampioenschap Singlespeed (ONKSS) in Arnhem op 6 Juni?

Tot nu toe hebben we 6 Nederlanders, 2 Engelsen en 20 Duitsers, dus het aantal Nederlanders is nog erg in de minderheid, met jullie erbij kan dat iets meer gecompenseerd worden

Check www.singlespeed.nl voor meer info!

Groeten,

JJ

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Another message in Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by JJT
    Hey Rob (en Pottser),

(Sorry, have to say some words in Dutch to these guys)

Ziet er goed uit, ook al is ie roze

Zin om mee te doen aan het Open Nederlands Kampioenschap Singlespeed (ONKSS) in Arnhem op 6 Juni?

Tot nu toe hebben we 6 Nederlanders, 2 Engelsen en 20 Duitsers, dus het aantal Nederlanders is nog erg in de minderheid, met jullie erbij kan dat iets meer gecompenseerd worden

Check www.singlespeed.nl voor meer info!

Groeten,

JJ
    Hi JJ,
    I couldn't send you a PM so here is the text. I hope people don't mind more Dutch text. I'm curious what a online translation service would make of it all!
    -----------
    Hoi JJ,

Helaas ga ik die weekend naar Duitsland. Had ik anders graag gewild.

Mocht ik voor e.e.a. reden niet gaan, dan wil ik zeker meedoen. Wordt het wedstrijd onderdeel van de Bergrace die daar wordt gehouden? Veel informatie is er niet op www.singlespeed.nl

--------------------------

Regards,
    Rob

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi JJ,

Excuses for this dutch part
    Sorry. ik ben met Rob en anderen een weekend in Winterberg. Ik ben helemaal geen wedstrijdrijder, maar singlespeed-racen is vooral lol. De sprint naar de eerste singletrack lijkt mij erg boeiend. Zaterdag rijd ik de Fiets-Challenge. Any other SS-ers in de Voerstreek. Met een beetje geluk komen deze week nog de onderdelen (mn. steile stuurpen) om mijn WTB-dropbar eindelijk te gaan gebruiken. Ze zullen me dan zaterdag echt voor gek verklaren; 29-inch, Singlespeed en een vreemd uitgebogen racestuur. En nee; ik aap Jeroen niet na. Ik rijd al meer dan 12 jaar met dropbars off-road. Tussentijds alleen een fiets met een rechtstuurtje gehad. Iedereen maakt fouten.

Marco

JJT
    mtbr member
    This will be my last piece of text in Dutch overhere

Is jammer. Er komen dik 20 duitsers en een paar engelsen, wordt idd vooral een fun weekend.

Ben wel benieuwd naar je bike Marco, heb je pics?

Kennen jullie het singlspeed forum op Dirty Pages? Kom daar ook eens langs met pics en tochten die jullie gaan fietsen/hebben gefietst. Succes met de Fiets Challenge.

JJ

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    JJ,

We will start in english again.

Here a picture of my bike. It's a Willits 29-er SS. Wes Williams is building me a (taller) stem so I can use my WTB dropbar. I hope to find it in the mail next few days. I am looking forward to use this bike on some long-distance races.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Holy Chromoly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottser
    ...En nee; ik aap Jeroen niet na. Ik rijd al meer dan 12 jaar met dropbars off-road. Tussentijds alleen een fiets met een rechtstuurtje gehad. Iedereen maakt fouten....

Ghehe
    No, I am not retro.... I am way ahead of my time...

"...though a lot of marijuana was smoked in the early days of mountain bike development, not all of the riders were potsmoking hippies... " Frank J. Berto

Who's that f#$king Doug Lexington?!

mtbr member
    Que beleza!

JJT
    mtbr member
    Now that looks nice!!

It's funny people keep riding the drop bars... I think they look terrible (with the long stem and stuff), but I'd like to ride one some time on a normal sized bike (not the midget bike of Jayron :-) ) To bad they are so hard to get..

Birdman aka JMJ

Welcome

Up til a few months ago, I was also a lurker.

I'd try a hand at some Dutch, but I've forgotten most of what I knew... sorry. I think I only know the swear-words now... LOL.

FWIW - My parents are Dutch, moved to Canada in the 50's. I'm Canadian, moved to the US in the early 90's. I'm the only one in my family who has not visited Holland... have to do that soon. My folks are from the Eindhoven (sp?) area, I believe, Haps or Cuyk. Sorry again - my Canadian geography is much better than my Netherlands geography knowledge..

Welcome - JMJ