mtbr member

Machining Niner Biocentric EBB

Has anyone tried to machine a Niner Biocentric from the 55mm standard to say 54mm? I would like to run this EBB on my Selma

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    What's wrong withe Bushnell? I haven't had a single issue with it.

mtbr member
    It's not blue. Only joking! Nothing wrong with it but I do have some creaks so I figured I would try the niner and lose a bit of weight in the process. I did'nt do my homework and now I have a niner ebb sitting at home with nowhere to go

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    seems like that would be a bad idea...im pretty sure they design those ebbs a certain way and to be as light as possible. i think that removing material from a light part will only lead to you breaking it

openwound
    But if you only need to remove a total of one millimeter of diameter, isn't that a really small amount of material? As in, I would think one could take off that much material with sand paper...

Then again, I'm not an engineer nor materials guy so what the heck do I know...
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Can you machine out the frame ?? Make it nice and round and a nice tight fit. you will silence your creak that way.
    i have a one9 it has way too much clearance I wrap plumbers tape around the Biocentric three times to take up the slack. Stops the creak though.

mtbr member
    Not enough frame material. I figured I would ask a friend to do it on a lathe rather than sand it myself so that it would be perfectly round and a tight fit

PSYCHOLUST
    Have you actually tried to fit a NINER ebb in your frame?
    I would think there is PRETTY CLOSE to 1mm of play when installed in a NINER frame.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    1mm is a decent amount, no sandpaper is going to remove that. It's nearly .04". A sheet of paper is about .003" thick, so that's like 13 sheets of paper.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Niner has shaved the walls pretty thin in order to make it as light as possible, but it looks like it would be ok. I would have them aggressively face the frame so that maybe 15% of the material came from the frame and then measure close and only take off just enough from the Biocentric. You might end up only taking .5 or .6.

Also, be sure to explicitly follow the installation instructions from Niner's site. This includes putting a dull edge on the lip on the frame. This is because there is no way to machine a true 90 degree corner at the lip inside the bottom bracket and if the frame has a 90 they will not mate correctly.
    Last edited by yourdaguy; 01-09-2011 at 08:23 AM.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

Run !

Just ran to other side of room and stacked 13 sheets of paper. Nice saturday night!

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie
    Just ran to other side of room and stacked 13 sheets of paper. Nice saturday night!
    i just loled a little

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy
    Niner has shaved the walls pretty thin in order to make it as light as possible, but it looks like it would be ok. I would have them aggressively face the frame so that maybe 15% of the material came from the frame and then measure close and only take of just enough from the Biocentric. You might end up only taking .5 or .6.

Also, be sure to explicitly follow the installation instructions from Niner's site. This includes putting a dull edge on the lip on the frame. This is because there is no way to machine a true 90 degree corner at the lip inside the bottom bracket and if the frame has a 90 they will not mate correctly.

You hit the nail on the head

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lets_Ride
    Has anyone tried to machine a Niner Biocentric from the 55mm standard to say 54mm? I would like to run this EBB on my Selma

I've never seen the outcome, but I've sold several Biocentrics to Salsa and Cannondale owners who have either owned a lathe or knew someone that could machine down the mm or so required to make it fit. So riders are doing it.

Also, FYI through our field testing of LOTS of products....Oatey Great White pipe joint compound and Effetto Mariposa Carbogrip silenced all of the noisy EBB's we've worked on. The Oatey can be purchased at all Home Depot and Lowe's stores. The Effetto Mariposa is distributed through Cantitoe Road. http://www.cantitoeroad.com/catalog/...products_id=32

Ditto on what yourdaguy said above. 90 degree and 90degree surfaces don't play well. You need to knock down the inner 90 degree surface on the frame so the Biocentric won't grip the inside corner.

Hope this helps!
    Brett
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice guys. I will see what my buddy says when he looks at it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I followed this right from the start and I've never had a creak

http://www.bushnelltandems.com/eccinstructions.pdf

But if you still do...

http://www.bushnelltandems.com/artic...-creaking.html

Members who have read this thread: 0