Luddite and excited and upgrades- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Luddite and excited and upgrades

So... after selling off an extra car on Craigslist yesterday, it looks like I'm going to get the green light to buy a singlespeed. It's something I've contemplated for a while and I've basically decided on the Civilian Luddite.

And I'm stoked! These bikes look like fun and look like exactly what I want out of the next phase my mountain biking experience.

I'm also a bit of a tinker-er and enjoy the specs, upgrades, parts search, etc... I'm not a weight weenie, but I am "weight aware" when it comes to parts. I'm about 195 and ride the Colorado Front Range.

Anyway... does anyone have any suggestions for the Luddite? Do the bars/stem seem okay and of reasonable weight? How about the seatpost? Wheels? I'll likely change the tires and probably the seat as well.

Woohoo I can't wait for it to arrive!
    2004 Specialized FSR Pro
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er
    Civilian Luddite 29er SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    There's a whole thread about the bike. The bars, stem, seat post and most other parts are good. The wheels are heavy but strong. The tires are wire beaded bricks that weigh in at 980 grams each. The fork is full carbon and about 500 grams. I really like mine.

mtbr member
    Wheels are tanks...solid but heavy. Tires are heavy and very slow rolling. I'd swap the tires immediately for something lighter while keeping the big volume (it is a rigid after all). Maybe some Ardents or Mountain Kings in 2.4".

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ordered new tires at the same time with the bike and competetive cyclist 'tubelessized' them for me. just got it a few days ago and love it. I will probably wind up swapping the stem and handlebar but more for fit reasons than weight reasons. very nicely packaged, easy assembly, excellent customer service, I feel like I got a good deal.

mtbr member
    As others have said, the tires need to be swapped. Don't count the seat out until you try it, I actually love mine but I have read that others aren't as thrilled. I also swapped out the stem and handlebar to a longer stem and flat bar because I'm used to a more XC riding position.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Meh, the Nev's aren't that bad. I actually like the ones I had, albeit a bit heavy. Still good traction and overall performance. I would just ride and wear that out before buying new tires.

I still ride my WTB TrailDiscs as well. Compared to my other wheelset (DT240/Crest), I'm seeing maybe a minute or so difference on a local 7 mile loop. I don't race, so couldn't care less.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Great info, thanks! I'll be curious to try it stock and the info on the tires is good to know. I'm curious to see the fit of the bars/stem, especially after the comments above. I tend to like the long/low riding position as well. It seems like an amazing deal, overall!
    2004 Specialized FSR Pro
    Civilian Luddite 29er SS

mtbr member
    I have a Luddite. Awesome entry level SS IMO.
    If you upgrade anything start with the wheels and go tubeless with some light tires. You'll save POUNDS.
    My Ludditte with ztr arches, tubeless racing ralphs, a carbon flat bar, and a Thomson stem and seatpost weighs 22 pounds. It came from the factory at nearly 28 pounds stock with pedals.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Possum Jones View Post
    I have a Luddite. Awesome entry level SS IMO.
    If you upgrade anything start with the wheels and go tubeless with some light tires. You'll save POUNDS.
    My Ludditte with ztr arches, tubeless racing ralphs, a carbon flat bar, and a Thomson stem and seatpost weighs 22 pounds. It came from the factory at nearly 28 pounds stock with pedals.
    That's pretty light. Are you running regular folding RRs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalAl View Post
    As others have said, the tires need to be swapped. Don't count the seat out until you try it, I actually love mine but I have read that others aren't as thrilled. I also swapped out the stem and handlebar to a longer stem and flat bar because I'm used to a more XC riding position.
    I had my longest ride on that saddle this past weekend. Three hours of moving time with zero sit issues. I like the stock cutter saddle.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Just pulled the trigger I can't wait for it to arrive!
    2004 Specialized FSR Pro
    Civilian Luddite 29er SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    That's pretty light. Are you running regular folding RRs?
    Actually, I'm running a 2.4 RaRa up front and a 2.25 RoRo out back. Both are the EVO pace star tires. The RoRo is a two year old take off that I threw on from the parts bin. It's starting to really wear thin on the side walls. I have a 505g RaRa 2.1 that's going to take its place. I've ran a 2.1 on the back of my race bike all season and its the best rear tire I've found yet.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    I purchased my Luditte in July and have put a few miles on it.....I am at around 350....It is a fun ride. I am still using all of the original parts except for the grips, I went with a set of orange ODI's for some bling. This bike is possibly one of the best values out there in my opinion. The original Cutter seat is comfortable and the original bars, stem, post, and especially the BB7 brakes have all exceeded my expectations. The heavy Nevegels will be worn out before I replace them with lighter tires. I must say that the stock tires have worked great this fall and I have been able to keep the rubber side down on the leafy corners! I plan on eventually replacing the WTB wheelset with the standard and much lighter DT Swiss 520's currently on my Stumpy EVO ht (I will put some Easton Havens on it) to the OP, enjoy your new ride!!Luddite and excited and upgrades-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354200302.784215.jpgLuddite and excited and upgrades-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354200346.543916.jpg
    MTB Rob was taken!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have not swapped the tires out yet but plan to in the next few months. I love the saddle. I did use some hose clamps and mounted a second cage on the seat tube and ergon g2 grips. Very solid and fun bike. Curious if anyone heard anything else about any othe Civilian bikes, am in the market for a cyclocross bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by brianW. View Post
    I have not swapped the tires out yet but plan to in the next few months. I love the saddle. I did use some hose clamps and mounted a second cage on the seat tube and ergon g2 grips. Very solid and fun bike. Curious if anyone heard anything else about any othe Civilian bikes, am in the market for a cyclocross bike.
    They were blowing out CX bikes for a time, including a SS version that looked good. Disclosure: I know nothing about road or CX bikes.

Big Boy
    I did use some hose clamps and mounted a second cage on the seat tube .
    Can you show a picture of this?

This is my only complaint about the bike right now, and it is really making me think twice about buying one. But, if there is an easy fix I would like to know.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    I have the Vive Le Roi (Civilian's geared cx). Love it so far and wrote a short review on it: http://forums.mtbr.com/cyclocross/in...oi-818256.html

Only complaint is the wheelset. Another owner weighed the wheelset without the cassette and rotors...came in at 2240 grams. Really not a deal breaker given the price of the bike though.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Here is a link with pics of how I mounted a second cage.
    no cage mount, no problem. | Mountain Bike Forums

@ a1an, are there places to mount fenders/racks on their cyclocross bike? I was thinking it would be a gravel/commuter bike.

mtbr member
    Here is a link with pics of how I mounted a second cage.
    no cage mount, no problem. | Mountain Bike Forums

@ a1an, are there places to mount fenders/racks on their cyclocross bike? I was thinking it would be a gravel/commuter bike.
    Unfortunately it doesn't have provisions for fender or racks.

Check out the Corduroy Rebel. Comes with fenders, disc brakes, belt drive, and an 8-speed Alfine. More geared towards commuter duty but it could be interesting for gravel with some tweaks.

Corduroy Rebel - Civilian - Civilian
    Signature

Stock, but with upgrades.
    I love the look and specs of this bike. I almost bought this one...I hope that you enjoy it!
    Nashbar 650b SS; Cannondale F29; Kona Kikapu Deluxe Diamondback Overdrive Sport 29er; BMX Viper; Pansonic DX-1000

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    So I went ahead and bought it. I've changed out several components and am still awaiting a few items (bars, mainly). What a fun bike so far! I only have one short ride on it but really enjoyed it.

I posted some build info in the Luddite thread in the 29ers category, if anyone's interested.

Clicky
    2004 Specialized FSR Pro
    Civilian Luddite 29er SS

Members who have read this thread: 0