Luckiest man in the world....- Mtbr.com
    Bikes not Bombs.....

Luckiest man in the world....

During the late 80's I would ride my Diamond back Apex from Long Beach to Pomona on Fridays. 40 miles there, 40 miles back. I had it outfitted with Fatboys and rode along the 605 freeway bike path soaking in the LA smog.This went on for a good period of time and I didn't think anyone would notice. I had worked at the Long Beach port for my Company for many years before getting transfered up here to Norcal.

Well 24 years later, I get the dreaded words.... Down Sizing... I was told I had a few months left. I didn't relish the idea of going back into the job market after so many years with one company.

I made a phone call to one of our Executives spilling my guts... I had worked for him when he was a little shot, now he is a biggie...... he called me back and said "I got an interview for you..." Yeah....

I walked into my interview and who do you think was the hiring manager... a dude from my Long Beach port days. He said he knew I biked a good amount and amired the discipline.

He offered me a job, I took it not knowing who my boss would be. Lo and behold, I come to fine out my new boss races road bikes and digs MTB's. To top it off, His boss races Crit's. They welcomed me with open arms. They had remembered my struggling cycling days in the 80's and knew I had character....

Today, I make decent money, will celebrate 25 years with the same company this summer and have two great bosses that allow me to do a one hour ride per day, as long as the work gets done at the end of the day.

Life is good.....

JS
    Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... -

T 3
    X - Pensive Wino

Full Circle

Cool story Jerry,sometimes everything circles back around to your roots and you rise up again-Better,stronger and wiser...

Quote Originally Posted by SS Jerry
    During the late 80's I would ride my Diamond back Apex from Long Beach to Pomona on Fridays. 40 miles there, 40 miles back. I had it outfitted with Fatboys and rode along the 605 freeway bike path soaking in the LA smog.This went on for a good period of time and I didn't think anyone would notice. I had worked at the Long Beach port for my Company for many years before getting transfered up here to Norcal.

Well 24 years later, I get the dreaded words.... Down Sizing... I was told I had a few months left. I didn't relish the idea of going back into the job market after so many years with one company.

I made a phone call to one of our Executives spilling my guts... I had worked for him when he was a little shot, now he is a biggie...... he called me back and said "I got an interview for you..." Yeah....

I walked into my interview and who do you think was the hiring manager... a dude from my Long Beach port days. He said he knew I biked a good amount and amired the discipline.

He offered me a job, I took it not knowing who my boss would be. Lo and behold, I come to fine out my new boss races road bikes and digs MTB's. To top it off, His boss races Crit's. They welcomed me with open arms. They had remembered my struggling cycling days in the 80's and knew I had character....

Today, I make decent money, will celebrate 25 years with the same company this summer and have two great bosses that allow me to do a one hour ride per day, as long as the work gets done at the end of the day.

Life is good.....

JS
    "There's a fine line between clever and stupid."
    -David St. Hubbins, Spinal Tap

mtbr member

Loyalty...

is rarely rewarded these days in our throw away society. With a company like yours...life is indeed good!

James
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail.
    But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"

Seaside stand up!
    Whats really great is that you realize the blessing of your situation. Alot of times we tend to take our lives (job,wife, kids,etc) for granted. You my friend are humble and enlightened. Congratulations and good luck the rest of the way.
    antonio

Out spokin'

Good story Unka Jerr

And prior to opening this thread I just figgered I'd see a photo of your new ENO SS crank. (Although I guess that wouldn't necessarily make you the luckiest man in the whole world)!

Anyway, good on ya. Now... where do I apply?

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.