Thread: Love Ebay

Fat Boy Deluxe

Love Ebay

This is what I love about ebay...

Check out the price a used Boone cog went for:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3661908229

Then check out the price of a new Boone cog (select cog 17tooth):
    http://boonerings.com/cr/orderformchainring.html

Maybe it's just me and how I like to research the things I would buy on ebay, but it seems to me there are a ton of people on ebay who say "yea that looks good" and never even look to see what retail prices are. I'm sure the seller was happy though!

DT

One gear to rule them all
    The seller rode it for 200 miles and sold it for $6 less than he paid for it. Crazy!
    But, he will get hit with the ebay fees.

Quote Originally Posted by DmofoT

Maybe it's just me and how I like to research the things I would buy on ebay, but it seems to me there are a ton of people on ebay who say "yea that looks good" and never even look to see what retail prices are. I'm sure the seller was happy though!

DT

Fat Boy Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by 32seventeen
    The seller rode it for 200 miles and sold it for $6 less than he paid for it. Crazy!
    But, he will get hit with the ebay fees.
    Right, but he also included "If paying by Paypal,there will be an extra percentage added to the final value after sale to counter the loss I take from Paypal"s cut.", so he has the PayPal angle covered. I'm not sure what the percentages are that ebay takes, so I have no clue on that. I'm with you though, crazy!

DT

mtbr member
    Last summer I bought a Rock Shox Psylo Race off eBay and rode it for a few months, decided I wanted to go back to a Marzocchi and resold the fork on eBay for more than I paid for it. Of course, I was still out a little $ because of shipping costs and eBay fees, but hey, I got to ride on the fork for next to nothing...

--Billy

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    - Douglas Adams

Submit to your ride!
    Jan 2004
    If I'm not mistaken, I think charging back the Paypal fee is a violation of Ebay's policies..

SS Slave

Fat Boy Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSlave
    If I'm not mistaken, I think charging back the Paypal fee is a violation of Ebay's policies..

SS Slave

Well I'm no expert in the selling of items on ebay so personally I am clueless on that. I buy stuff, but have yet to sell something. It would be interesting if that was true though. I mean, the seller put that in the body of his ad and people bid on it. I would think as long as it's stated up front that the buyer has to pay the associated fees, there shouldn't be a problem. You read it, you bid on it, you pay for it...kind of like when a seller charges $40 for shipping something that costs $1.50 to ship. As long as he put it in his ad, your supposed to pay for it.

DT

We get titles?

Buyer could be whipped like me...

DT
    My wife has a serious problem with me spending a penny on bike stuff. Understandable, since we don't have any money to spend. But I sell stuff on EBAY and buy stuff on EBAY. I might buy something on ebay for near retail price just because I can pay for it out of my paypal account. That way, nobody has to know about it.

"Mr. Britannica"

buyers gotta know prices

too many shops just selling stuff, and people starting auctions too high. A man's gotta know his limitations.

Coolest thing I got was a NOS LS wool Italian National Team jersey.... for <$30! Also, snared my current SS ride- a Voodoo Nzumbi- from Ebay.

newbie boobie.
    Don't get me started....
    I don't know why it bothers me so much either...

that seller does well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It is against ebay policy

I've done a bit of buying and selling on ebay and found out the hard way that you can't charge extra for paypal use. Ebay canceled my auction and sent me an email with the link to the rules section (I don't think any one reads this). Ebay owns paypal now so it's no suprise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

shipping charges

Forgot to mention that ebay has a too high shipping policy as well. Shipping has to be reasonable (see their rules section) but I don't think it's enforced much. They only time it sucks is when the lister doesn't quote a set shipping price and then tries to overcharge after the auction has ended. For the most part, the cycling participants on ebay seem to be some of the fairer and easiest to work with.

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    The best... I sold $25 worth of gift certificates for $26.78 plus $1.50 for S&H. Now if I could pull off 20,000 transactions like that, I could open my own gift certificate arbitrage business! S

formerly ss-nyc
    Feb 2004

I love eBay as well...

It seems people pay crazy prices for stuff they could find much cheaper elsewhere if they just looked for it. I actually made money once by purchasing Mavic and Alex rims in bulk from Nashbar when they were on sale, then used a 20% off copoun to save more, and shipping was cheap becasue it is based on price and not weight with Nashbar.

Then I turned around and sold them all on eBay for a profit. I only accepted money orders since I have a good feedback rating. Even with the eBay fees I made a few hundred dollars for not that much work...That is why I love eBay!

It just gave me more money to buy more parts for more bikes.

DT

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockdogger
    Forgot to mention that ebay has a too high shipping policy as well. Shipping has to be reasonable (see their rules section) but I don't think it's enforced much. They only time it sucks is when the lister doesn't quote a set shipping price and then tries to overcharge after the auction has ended. For the most part, the cycling participants on ebay seem to be some of the fairer and easiest to work with.
    Latest ridiculous shipping price I had quoted via ebay was $40US to ship 2 tires and 2 tubes from the US to Australia. This was a week after I was quoted $30US to ship a fork from the US to Australia. The auction for 2 Hutchinson Mosquitos and tubes was an awesome price at $17US Buy it Now until the shipping was quoted.
    I wonder how these guys work out their international shipping costs sometimes.

mtbr member
    i tried to get a UPS estimate on shipping a book. the online estimate was $30-something. took it to the store and it was like $8.

Steamroller

Sometimes it works the other way

Last Friday night I responded to a lead posted here for a good deal on two bikes out West. I followed the link right to the auctions and bought 2 mountain bikes for $10 each and picked them up the next day. The seller just wanted to be rid of them and did not want to ship them. Get this they were buy it now for $10, I think he had to pay more for that. One weathered little old trek was worth maybe $20, the other a Gary Fisher is in real good shape and is well worth $50 or more, I will give both to friends or convert one to a SS for newbies to borrow. God is Good! and ebay can be good too.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big