loose EBB?- Mtbr.com

Thread: loose EBB?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

loose EBB?

I am having issues keeping my chain tensioned properly on my old Raleigh XXIX. It has an EBB that is held in place by 2 set screws on the bottom of the shell. I bought this bike used and the EBB has some pretty serious grooves/divits from the set screws. I haven't had chain drop issues yet but it's getting close. I tighten the screws as tight as I feel comfortable (pretty darn tight,don't own a torque wrench!) but it still slips. Any advice? I also have a GF Rig and I like the wedge system on it's EBB better.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Mushy View Post
    I am having issues keeping my chain tensioned properly on my old Raleigh XXIX. It has an EBB that is held in place by 2 set screws on the bottom of the shell. I bought this bike used and the EBB has some pretty serious grooves/divits from the set screws. I haven't had chain drop issues yet but it's getting close. I tighten the screws as tight as I feel comfortable (pretty darn tight,don't own a torque wrench!) but it still slips. Any advice? I also have a GF Rig and I like the wedge system on it's EBB better.
    I had the same problem on my old XXIX. I actually had to replace the bolts so they would bite into the shell better. You can get some at HD or Lowes, if you can find stainless ones that would be even better. I ordered a set of stainless one and never had a problem after that.

mtbr member
    How far do you ride between needing to retighten? I readjust mine about every 150-200mi mainly due to chain stretch and my cleaning/maintaining schedule. A new chain seems to need readjusting every 50-100mi for the first 200. Might just be me being picky about as good an adjustment that i can get.

Get a torque wrench. I have a Soul Cycles Hooligan that uses the same set screw type EBB. I haven't had any slip with 18nm yet. Since i set mine up to slip into a tighter possition, i don't have issues with it getting loose due to the EBB. If it is slipping, i can't tell if its anymore than 1-2mm since it would get really tight. I generally keep it at 20nm (SC says 15-30nm range) and also added a thin layer of carbon friction paste where the EBB and frame meet up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I tightened my chain last weekend, did a pretty hilly 30 mile gravel ride Monday night and found the chain pretty loose post ride. The set screws seem to have pretty good ends (but not overly pointed). If I can find stainless screws I will give them a try. Sometimes it's hard to find this type of hardware in the rugged boonies of Iowa! This might be the wrong forum to ask in but what is the preferred torque wrench for this type of work?

mtbr member
    Is it a new chain? How long have you been riding this bike? When did it start slipping?

Torque wrench- i use either my cheapy Sette 2-24nm or a Craftsman 0-100nm beam style. Both get close enough and i only have the Sette for times i want to ratchet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have the same EBB, pain in the ass. But as jetboy said adjust your ebb so if it slips it goes to a tighter position. I started using pointed set screws, that helps, but be careful as you can easily drive it through the EBB shell.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm going to also advocate using a torque wrench when dealing with EBB. Especially the set-screw type. If you tighten the bolts too much, you can ovalize the EBB shell. I have been using a harbor freight wrench for years. When on sale (I think right now), you can pick one up for $10-20. Search for online coupons. Has worked well for me.

For the EBB position, like jetboy, I try to set mine up at the 12-3 o'clock position (looking from the drive side). If it slips, it will only tighten.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Looking at the wrench you mentioned, I guess there's no reason not to get one! Also, it's always cool getting new tools. As far as positioning the EBB to tighten if it slips, sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately, I never thought about doing that. Thanks for the idea.

dirtbag
    I swapped out the EBB on my GT Peace which also has the two set screws at the bottom of the BB shell. Relying upon two screws to keep the BB set is poor engineering IMO. I swapped it out with a Bushnell which puts an even tension across the whole BB shell rather than two points in parallel as in the stock 2 bolt set up. I don't worry about the EBB loosening up. Ever.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Anyone know the EBB size on the XXIX?
    txs

dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by MAZ1 View Post
    Anyone know the EBB size on the XXIX?
    txs
    Should be a 54mm bb shell.
    Amolan

Members who have read this thread: 0