Loose crank- Mtbr.com

Thread: Loose crank

Single Speed Steve
    Jun 2005

Loose crank

I have a new Truvativ GXP outboard bearing SS crank. It is continuously loosening up on me. I have to check it once or twice per ride to make sure it hasn't loosended up again. Tonight I will pull it apart, clean the bolt and threads really good and apply some teflon tape before I really torque it down.
    Does anyone have any other recommendations? Does this happen with other cranks?

Medium?
    Ahhh! No teflon! It'll make a mess and won't solve your problem. Clean as you were planning. Use some citrus degreaser. Try again. If it still happens, try a bit of blue loctite on the threads.

Single Speed Steve
    Jun 2005

Will do

I'll your idea a try first. Glad I read your post before I got busy "fixing" it. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Ahhh! No teflon! It'll make a mess and won't solve your problem. Clean as you were planning. Use some citrus degreaser. Try again. If it still happens, try a bit of blue loctite on the threads.

Am I getting too bulky?
    btw, your handle belongs to somebody else who's been in the mtb game for a hell of a long time, even if he didn't add an extra "S" to the front end.

Tape is good for some things, but for other things, grip is required.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

mtbr member

longer crank bolts

i had the same problem with a phil wood bottom bracket (square taper spindles) and raceface cranks. ended in a catastrophic failure of my bottom bracket...the spindle sheered completely off during a hard climb...leaving my pedal, crank, and chainring dangling from my right shoe, still clipped in. word from phil wood: need to make sure your crank bolts are long enought to have a substantial number of threads for securing the cranks to the spindles.

Single Speed Steve
    Jun 2005

Didn't know

I'm somewhat new to the SS thing and had not heard of the other soulrider. I added the extra S to denote my newfound SS passion. No harm intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikehigh
    btw, your handle belongs to somebody else who's been in the mtb game for a hell of a long time, even if he didn't add an extra "S" to the front end.

Tape is good for some things, but for other things, grip is required.

Members who have read this thread: 0