Looking for trick spacers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Looking for trick spacers

I'm almost done with my carbon s/s build. HBC spiderless ect. I'm looking for a set of spacers for the rear cog. I've read about the Gearclamp and it looks ok. What are some other options for a good looking or trick spacer set up? I've got the normal stack already.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have a question along the same lines. Might belong on a new thread, but I can't start one since I'm a newbie here.

I'm building my first single speed. I've got all the components bought except the crankset and wheels and I'm really confused as to what exactly I should go with. Is there a reason for me to go with a SS specific rear hub? There is no weight savings. Why not just go with a regular rear hub and spacers? I know there must be a reason they make SS specific hubs; I guess I just need someone to tell me what that reason is. Seems to me that it might be wiser to use a regular hub and spacers in case I want to switch things up in the future and go back to gears.....unless there is a good reason for the SS hub.

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by asetliff View Post
    I'm almost done with my carbon s/s build. HBC spiderless ect. I'm looking for a set of spacers for the rear cog. I've read about the Gearclamp and it looks ok. What are some other options for a good looking or trick spacer set up? I've got the normal stack already.
    All depends upon what your looking for. I'm assuming that you have a standard hub as you mentioned the gearclamp. You can always buy a set of spacers or cut your own out of PVC as I've seen a number of times. Last few wheel sets I've built up I cut some copper spacers which look very different. Next time I order material I am half tempted to cut a few spacers matching some top caps blending metal and wood. Check my photo albums for pics. Since I have the process figured out pretty well now I'm sure they will go smoothly. If you or anyone else is interested I would be willing to fabricate and sell first few prototypes at $100 for an inner and outer spacer. Only willing to do 5 prototype pairs seeing how it goes as they are difficult to make if I go by the ring I did for a campy headset as a guide.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Me as well.

mtbr member
    In UK you have this good looking spacers and other stuf.

VeloSolo Shop - Singlespeed Spacer Kits, Cogs, Tensioners and Accessories

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebrownw2 View Post
    Why not just go with a regular rear hub and spacers?
    i have a couple of bikes with a cassette hub, cog, and spacers. works fine. But I gotta admit that a non-dished wheel with a SS-specific hub is a lot more aesthetic.

mtbr member
    Schedule 40 PVC (here in the States). Infinitely adjustable chain line. Lightly sand then spray paint. I prefer flat black. cheap and functional, works well, therefore very trick. Just be sure to cut it square. Compound Miter saw works well.
    Mind your own religion.

Members who have read this thread: 0