Looking for SS chain ring bolts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Looking for SS chain ring bolts

Guys,

Forgive me for asking something that I am sure has been gone over often, but I can't seem to come up with anything using the search.

I am trying to find a set of chain ring bolts for SS that use 2 Allen or Torx wrenches rather than the 90 degree screw driver tool. I seem to remember seeing these here before, but I sure can't seem to find them now.

Does anyone know where I can get these bolts?
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

max_29
    i believe you're looking for these:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Bolt+Set.aspx

Out spokin'
    Wow... $25 a set. At least they come with 5 chainring nuts/bolts for those of us who still have 5-arm spiders. I bought 3 or 4 sets of these about 5 years ago, they were around $8 back then IIRC. Plus they were black and came with washers for use on singlespeed cranks (the washer took up the space of the missing chainring).

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

max_29
    they also have a less pricey set @7.60

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ock+Guard.aspx

master blaster
    just use steel bolts.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.
    :D

mtbr member
    Aren't you just looking for a "BMX single chainring bolt set"? I just bought a set of 5 alloy (big difference in price and weight in alloy anodized versus steel painted) for my Sugino75 crankset for $10 shipped.
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality
    just use steel bolts.
    The ones in question are steel. The difference is they utilize hex fittings on both nut and bolt. Personally I much prefer this, although I doubt I prefer it enough to pay $25 a set.

{EDIT} Just went back and checked...the JensonUSA website says they're "alloy." I don't believe they are aluminum alloy, I believe they are steel alloy. Not positive, though. The ones I bought are steel. I don't/won't use aluminum chainring bolts.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Property Inspections
    Danscomp has chromoly for $4 and alum for $14
    http://www.danscomp.com/products.php...=CHAINWHEELACC

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by New Light
    Danscomp has chromoly for $4 and alum for $14
    http://www.danscomp.com/products.php...=CHAINWHEELACC
    Yeahbutt... the OP clearly said...

Quote Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
    Guys,
    I am trying to find a set of chain ring bolts for SS that use 2 Allen or Torx wrenches rather than the 90 degree screw driver tool. ...
    disciplesofdirt.org

Property Inspections
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Yeahbutt... the OP clearly said...
    yeah but thats highly unnecessary....

ridin' Mary
    The Truvative standard chainring bolts use two hex keys instead of that stupid special tool screwdriver. The first thing I did when I put XT cranks on my Singlespeed was ditch the shimano chainring bolts for truvative. The truvative also have an outer diameter that exactly fits the crank holes (they are really tight!) so there is almost no chance of getting the chainring offset because of slop on the chainring bolts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    unless you are running a single chainring that will not give enough tension to remove the CR nut without spinning the entire nut/bolt.
    then you get to use that stupid slotted tool, that sucks and wont hold worth a SH!*.
    so then you get to take a pair of small channel locks' to hold the 'nut' of the assembly in order to remove the bolt.
    and now you have spent 20 minutes on a 2 minute project, and you get to damage/mar the chainring, crank spider and the CR bolt/nut.

I guess unecessary is a matter of degrees??

OH, and to the OP, spend the $25 and consider it an investment in your sanity.
    EricN
    The flood of fixed gear bikes, small t-shirts, and womens jeans will saturate craigslist

Out spokin'

Yes... of course

Right. Perhaps the OP forgot who's opinion about what adorns his bike is most important. It's good that you arrived just in time to correct his course. Carry on.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

master blaster
    The ones in question are steel. The difference is they utilize hex fittings on both nut and bolt. Personally I much prefer this, although I doubt I prefer it enough to pay $25 a set.

{EDIT} Just went back and checked...the JensonUSA website says they're "alloy." I don't believe they are aluminum alloy, I believe they are steel alloy. Not positive, though. The ones I bought are steel. I don't/won't use aluminum chainring bolts.

--Sparty
    the dual bolt kind that come with the stylos are steel but they are the doubles for use with a guard. not sure if the singles they sell non oem are still steel or alloy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.
    :D

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. The Truvativ bolts linked above are the fastener style that I have in mind, but they are for 2 rings or for a ring and a bash guard. I was sure I saw this style bolt in the shorter length for a single ring.

Hopefully someone will be able to either point me in the right direction or tell me I am wrong and no such animal exists.

Out spokin'
    Thanks for the replies. The Truvativ bolts linked above are the fastener style that I have in mind, but they are for 2 rings or for a ring and a bash guard. I was sure I saw this style bolt in the shorter length for a single ring.

Hopefully someone will be able to either point me in the right direction or tell me I am wrong and no such animal exists.
    Here are some torx ones.
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...ls.php?id=4903

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by max_29
    they also have a less pricey set @7.60

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ock+Guard.aspx

[/QUOTE]i believe you're looking for these:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Bolt+Set.aspx][/QUOTE]

these are the wrong chainring bolts , they are for double rings which means if you buy these youw ill also have to get little spacers to take up the slack. the dans comp bolts that were listed (chromoly ) are fairly decent. just watch the allen key hole for deformity
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsalty
    unless you are running a single chainring that will not give enough tension to remove the CR nut without spinning the entire nut/bolt.
    then you get to use that stupid slotted tool, that sucks and wont hold worth a SH!*.
    so then you get to take a pair of small channel locks' to hold the 'nut' of the assembly in order to remove the bolt.
    and now you have spent 20 minutes on a 2 minute project, and you get to damage/mar the chainring, crank spider and the CR bolt/nut.

I guess unecessary is a matter of degrees??

OH, and to the OP, spend the $25 and consider it an investment in your sanity.
    yea its not THAT difficult. you could just grow a pair and suck it up

Drinking the Slick_Juice

again, too long unless you are going to run a bashgaurd which in the case of him not havng a bashgaurd he will have to go out a buy something that is not necessary. I dont thing they make SS bolts that have double ended allen holes

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    yea its not THAT difficult. you could just grow a pair and suck it up
    SWEET another internet tough guy.
    I have dealt with it. I bought new chainring bolts.

you know you could simply stop being a douche, but that is not really the point of this thread, now is it?
    Last edited by mrsalty; 05-21-2010 at 10:59 AM.
    EricN
    The flood of fixed gear bikes, small t-shirts, and womens jeans will saturate craigslist

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    again, too long unless you are going to run a bashgaurd which in the case of him not havng a bashgaurd he will have to go out a buy something that is not necessary. I dont thing they make SS bolts that have double ended allen holes
    maybe, but the info I saw from the link showed this

Single Black
    Mfg#: 390-1030 (BLACK)
    Order Now & Pick it up Today @ our Retail Store - ?

maybe the 'single' part means something else...................I guess they are Torx.
    EricN

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    SWEET another internet tough guy.
    I have dealt with it. I bought new chainring bolts.

you know you could simply stop being a douche, but that is not really the point of this thread, now is it?
    or you could stop pointing out others flaws and realize that you created this thread to get our opinions and i shared , sorry you got your feelings hurt on the internet

mtbr member
    I saw that too MrSalty. I may need to call them Monday and see what the details of those are. I looked those up on the FSA web page and they show them having Torx on one side and the screwdriver slot on the other. The picture on the Universal site looks like they are Torx on one side and Allen on the other. It is probably the case that the 8mm length for double rings are Torx / Allen and the 6mm bolts for single rings are Torx / screwdriver.

On a sort of related rant, why are bike related web pages so lame? That FSA page doesn't have one scrap of information that I could find on those bolts. Just a different picture than the retailers page.
    Last edited by 11 Bravo; 05-24-2010 at 05:08 AM.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    maybe, but the info I saw from the link showed this

Single Black
    Mfg#: 390-1030 (BLACK)
    Order Now & Pick it up Today @ our Retail Store - ?

maybe the 'single' part means something else...................I guess they are Torx.
    I think 8 mm is for double , 5 mm is what you want for an SS ring

mtbr member
    I found some. http://www.purelycustom.com/p-254-ch...bolts-6mm.aspx

Now that I am on a mission about this I will have to see if I can find a steel set.

AZ
    banned
    I found some. http://www.purelycustom.com/p-254-ch...bolts-6mm.aspx

Now that I am on a mission about this I will have to see if I can find a steel set.

This link worked better for me :
    http://www.purelycustom.com/c-128-chainring-bolts.aspx

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    http://webcyclery.com/product.php?pr...cat=406&page=1

Steel, 6mm, your choice silver or black.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by foster
    http://webcyclery.com/product.php?pr...cat=406&page=1

Steel, 6mm, your choice silver or black.
    I was able to find some bigger pictures of those on another web site and they have the slot for the 90 degree screwdriver.

I am kind of surprised there are so few companies making the bolts that use some kind of double wrenches. Just about everyone hates that bent screwdriver. I have been running Middleburn cranks with a SS ring for about 4 years now and had forgotten how much I hated it until I started working on this project for my younger brother.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I was able to find some bigger pictures of those on another web site and they have the slot for the 90 degree screwdriver.

I am kind of surprised there are so few companies making the bolts that use some kind of double wrenches. Just about everyone hates that bent screwdriver. I have been running Middleburn cranks with a SS ring for about 4 years now and had forgotten how much I hated it until I started working on this project for my younger brother.
    I use the 9mm Sugino's and they have the slot. I've never need anything more than one allen wrench though since they never turn on me while I'm tightening them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by foster
    I use the 9mm Sugino's and they have the slot. I've never need anything more than one allen wrench though since they never turn on me while I'm tightening them.

I have always had more trouble taking the old bolts out. I was doing some work on my brothers bike and had to change the front ring. I destroyed the old bolts getting them out. I figured if I was going to buy some new bolts anyway I would get some better ones. That is what started me looking for better bolts and prompted this thread.

Out spokin'
    I have always had more trouble taking the old bolts out. I was doing some work on my brothers bike and had to change the front ring. I destroyed the old bolts getting them out. I figured if I was going to buy some new bolts anyway I would get some better ones. That is what started me looking for better bolts and prompted this thread.
    Grease them well whenever you install them.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

I am Walt
    I use the Sugino 6mm steel bolts (http://www.bikebling.com/ProductDeta...ChainringBolts) with Loc-Tite, and they rock. Sure, a *bit* of a hassle to snug up some or all of them with that stupid screwdriver-like thingy, but just an extra couple minutes.
    Ride more; post less...

Members who have read this thread: 0