Looking for a Singlespeed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Looking for a Singlespeed

I just recently got into riding again and would like to build a single speed bike to ride with the kids. I would like to build something clean, cool and preferably light weight. I have never built a bike before so this would be cool project for me. I know I could got out and buy something new but I would like the satisfaction of building it myself. I want a setup for light trails and relatively small hills. What frame and components do you suggest? Thanks

mtbr member
    What is the budget?
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Around $500-800. I am looking for something that I can piece together. I am in no rush I am looking for something without a front shock. Maybe an older frame. Thanks

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepfan View Post
    Around $500-800. I am looking for something that I can piece together. I am in no rush I am looking for something without a front shock. Maybe an older frame. Thanks
    i think you should do some reading. there are a lot of great build threads. take some notes and start itemizing components you like. there's tons of info available here!! grab a beer in the evenings and start doing research, your going to need to learn a few things before your done anyway.

asking strangers to piece together an entire bike given your vague guidelines leaves too many variables.

there are many many great options for a simple SS in your price range. do some reading till you get a better idea of what you want.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Why not find a bike on craigslist in that price range, ride it and upgrade as you go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Honestly $500 - $800 is a tough budget I think. It will have to be on the higher end for sure. Frame, fork and wheels are the bulk of the budget.

I built or rebuilt all of my bikes from the frame up because I love to do that. It is a lot of fun, plus I allows me to do research which increases my knowledge.

First I would search for a single speed frame or a frame in general, does not have to be a single speed as you can use a chain tensioner. You are going to have to keep the frame cost to about $200 to meet your budget.

There are so many options options available. With your budget maybe if you can find a used Specialized Crave. I know it is not a build but probably better that what you can put together for 5 - 8. Also Jenson is blowing out Redline Monocogs. These are all complete bikes.

Problem is with your budget, it is tough to buy a new frame within your budget. You would probably have to buy a used frame and build around that. So like I said look for a used frame.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Raleigh Willard 3, Furley & Militis 3 (SS)
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Do you have all the tools to build a bike? I assume you have the basics, but you might consider these if you haven't. Even the DIY options will cut in to your budget. Here's some thoughts, but I'm sure I'm missing something. It's amazing how many tools you use when building a bike, even a singlespeed.

-Allen wrenches
    -torx wrenches
    -torque wrench (probably not needed if you've spent much time working on bikes)
    -Something to cut fork steer tube & handlebars. Hacksaw or pipe cutter. May need some sandpaper too.
    -Something to press in headset. Could make something with all thread, use a hammer & wood, or use a press.
    -Something to Press in BB if it's a pressfit (similar to headset)
    -Wrench for GXP or other type of BB
    -Wrench depending on type of crankes
    -Grease
    -Loctite
    -degreaser or alcohol
    -lockring tool
    -possibly a chain whip
    -Chain breaker
    -Cable cutter if you go with mech. brakes
    -Bleed kit, oil, & hydraulic line cutter for brakes. May not have to bleed, but there's a decent chance you will.
    -Tape measure or ruler
    -Something to set star nut
    -Something to install crown race

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Thanks for the advice.

mtbr member
    that price range is not going to get you a new, complete bike based on parts. you can definitely get something decent if you buy a complete or buy used.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    What are some decent complete SS bikes?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    One idea may be to look towards the 26" wheeled singlespeeds people are dumping for dirt cheap. Ive found a decent number of s.s. bikes on fleabay.

I just pieced together a sweet steel 26'er on the cheap.

Dean custom steel s.s. frame used $200.00
    Voodoo cromoly rigid fork used 75.00
    Raceface turbine 180 cranks used 100.00
    Front wheel from an old stumpy used 25.00
    Rear wheel (I built it, surly ss hub, rhynolite rim, dt spokes) 115.00
    Thomsom seatpost used 60.00
    White 18t freewheel 80.00
    Total; 640.00

The rest of the stuff I had laying around in parts bins. Granted, I have skills, been a bike shop manager in various shops since '87. But if your thrifty and budget concious, the rest of the components could be purchase for close to $200-250.00

The bottom line is knowing what you want vs. What you need. Ive had 3k+ dollar singlespeeds. This one I have now rides as nice as any of them. 20 lbs. on the money, and its got a ton of built in mojo. The comfort of this steel frame is ridiculous.

All of the used stuff was fleabay. Once again, check fleabay, the classifieds. Used bikes go cheap, especially singlespeeds with little wheels.

The pic is of the bike just after I slapped it together for the first time, size and fit check. It shares some bits with other bikes, like pedals, and a seatbag. Not the most fancy, but one of my favorites.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for a Singlespeed-20160620_234001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by evad nosam View Post
    One idea may be to look towards the 26" wheeled singlespeeds people are dumping for dirt cheap. Ive found a decent number of s.s. bikes on fleabay.

Dean custom steel s.s. frame used $200.00
    Voodoo cromoly rigid fork used 75.00
    Raceface turbine 180 cranks used 100.00
    Front wheel from an old stumpy used 25.00
    Rear wheel (I built it, surly ss hub, rhynolite rim, dt spokes) 115.00
    Thomsom seatpost used 60.00
    White 18t freewheel 80.00
    Total; 640.00

The rest of the stuff I had laying around in parts bins. Granted, I have skills, been a bike shop manager in various shops since '87. But if your thrifty and budget concious, the rest of the components could be purchase for close to $200-250.00

The bottom line is knowing what you want vs. What you need. Ive had 3k+ dollar singlespeeds. This one I have now rides as nice as any of them. 20 lbs. on the money, and its got a ton of built in mojo. The comfort of this steel frame is ridiculous.

All of the used stuff was fleabay. Once again, check fleabay, the classifieds. Used bikes go cheap, especially singlespeeds with little wheels.

The pic is of the bike just after I slapped it together for the first time, size and fit check. It shares some bits with other bikes, like pedals, and a seatbag. Not the most fancy, but one of my favorites.

Wow that is a nice bike. That is exactly what I am looking for. Very simple and clean. I can have a lot of fun on that. Thanks for sharing

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

You even have a Specialized Rib Cage on it! I have 2 sitting in my garage but one is on its last leg as the rubber is splitting where it connects on the back of the cage.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    you could also go with one of the bikesdirect deals for that price range. from what I've see they're not too bad. maybe a bit heavy.

plus you get to do some assembly, if that's what you're interested in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    built my monster cross Vassago Fisticuff for around that range...used frame, used wheelset, handlebar I found in the parts bin at the LBS for 10 bucks, robbed the crank off another bike. Definitely do-able if you have the time to cruise Craigslist and eBay and know what you're looking for. Building a functional SS within the budget is not too hard, getting it to also be lightweight is going to be a bit more challenging, all my bikes are pigs.

Looking for a Singlespeed-screen-shot-2016-06-17-10.43.16-am.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Ok... I think I'm going to go with a 26' setup. Going to have to keep eyes open on craigslist and eBay. Thanks for all the help

mtbr member
    I picked up a used Specialized Crave Sl on pinkbike inside your price range. Great bike. Definitely get something used

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    I picked up a used Specialized Crave Sl on pinkbike inside your price range. Great bike. Definitely get something used
    There ya go! Don't do 26" if you can get a 29er for cheap. So much better riding. I own a Carve SL and it's awesome.

mtbr member
    Specialized Crave
    Kona Unit
    Redline Monocog

I routinely see these used on CL selling for way below what I would pay for them. Apparently used SS bikes are hard to sell to beginners looking through CL.

I bought a new Unit last year and have been very pleased with it.

Used SS... it's really a buyers market. Just get one that fits (frame size) and have good components (even better if you can find upgraded components). A buddy of mine bought a '13 Unit with an upgraded steel fork / wheel and wide 3.5" tire, and alt bars for $400. The original ad was $600 and after a few months with no takers $400 was the best offer.

mtbr member
    I've been a fan of my MUSS for years now, rebuilt for a 4th time recently. 26 but fits 650b well. As mentioned, CL or fleabay. Built bike will probably be the best deal and you can upgrade as need be or as time and money allow. Keep in mind the search for treasure can be long, arduous, and potentially dangerous but the jewel will mean more to you once in hand.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Thanks for the help. I have a lot of searching to. Hopefully I can find something soon. I would rather build something that way I can figure everything out for myself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I found a 29 in xxix raleigh mountain bike SingleSpeed at a LBS. They want $360 for it and its my size. What do you think? Should I keep looking? Thanks

mtbr member
    I found a 29 in xxix raleigh mountain bike SingleSpeed at a LBS. They want $360 for it and its my size. What do you think? Should I keep looking? Thanks
    New from an lbs? Ride it, if you like it, buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    For that price, buy it. I started with an inexpensive Nashbar 29er rigid SS and it got me hooked, and it is still a favorite ride. Take the deal, upgrade as you wish, then eventually use the experience to spec out your long term actual ride...

mtbr member
    That's a good deal. I have a Gravity G29. I upgraded it over time with a carbon fork, different bars, seat, pedals, and went tubeless. It's pretty light compared to what it started out at and everyone who's borrowed it likes it alot. I tried a suspension fork for a while but went back the the lighter rigid set-up. I'm so slow the lighter weight was more desirable than the extra squish.
    I need to ride more...

May 2009
    Sounds like a good deal, but if not there are plenty of deals on CL. Picked up a mid-90's Diamondback Axis lightweight steel frame -$100, had it stripped & powdercoated-$100, Surly 1X1 fork - $60; had all the parts for a SS, but value of only $400 or son. Turned out to have a "magic ratio" of 32-19, so no tensioner. Great, bot vintage ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Picked up a used Raleigh XXIX for $360. This thing is awesome. It is a blast to ride. I would like to upgrade a few things to lighten it up. Any suggestions would be helpful. I would like straight bars, different crank and maybe a 19T. How hard is it to change? Here are some pictures. Thanks for all the tips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for a Singlespeed-img_0741.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Looks great, Question is what size cog does it have now and does the ebb got enough adj. for the 19? How many miles on the chain, ring, and cog?

Cool bike, good price.

mtbr member
    To lighten it up, go tubeless first then get a carbon fork, seatpost and handlebar.

I've used cheap no brand carbon and had zero issues. But there are threads strongly against and for cheap carbon.

Btw that's a nice bike.

Rent this space for $
    Good, inexpensive, used. They're out there. Keep looking.

KHS Solo One SE 29'r I just got on craigslist for $250.

Looking for a Singlespeed-2016-07-17_08.35.37%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    The chain looks fairly new. Before I bought it the LBS converted back to the original SS setup.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post
    To lighten it up, go tubeless first then get a carbon fork, seatpost and handlebar.

I've used cheap no brand carbon and had zero issues. But there are threads strongly against and for cheap carbon.

Btw that's a nice bike.

Thanks...I am hooked. Can you suggest a decent carbon fork? And where can I find the sizes for the carbon fork, seat post and handlebar that will fit for the Raleigh. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Good, inexpensive, used. They're out there. Keep looking.

KHS Solo One SE 29'r I just got on craigslist for $250.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-07-17_08.35.37[1].jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	385.1 KB 
ID:	1082551
    That's a nice bike.. Good price. I would definitely pick that up if I was local. Around here in Northern Virginia everything is a lot more expensive because we are so close to Washington D.C.

mtbr member
    Thanks...I am hooked. Can you suggest a decent carbon fork? And where can I find the sizes for the carbon fork, seat post and handlebar that will fit for the Raleigh. Thanks
    Regarding the fork, start here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/ra...rk-405920.html

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by blkangel View Post
    Honestly $500 - $800 is a tough budget I think. It will have to be on the higher end for sure. Frame, fork and wheels are the bulk of the budget.

I built or rebuilt all of my bikes from the frame up because I love to do that. It is a lot of fun, plus I allows me to do research which increases my knowledge.

First I would search for a single speed frame or a frame in general, does not have to be a single speed as you can use a chain tensioner. You are going to have to keep the frame cost to about $200 to meet your budget.

There are so many options options available. With your budget maybe if you can find a used Specialized Crave. I know it is not a build but probably better that what you can put together for 5 - 8. Also Jenson is blowing out Redline Monocogs. These are all complete bikes.

Problem is with your budget, it is tough to buy a new frame within your budget. You would probably have to buy a used frame and build around that. So like I said look for a used frame.
    Yes, but I would buy new bike that fits unless you find great deal and somebody can help you check if it's actually a good bike or not.

Total; 640.00

I've owned 26" bikes and now only buy 29er, just like them better especially on rigid SS where the wheels really help smooth the trail. Yes, buy the bike you need and lean towards what you really want as long as it's in the budget. Better to be riding now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad V2 View Post
    There ya go! Don't do 26" if you can get a 29er for cheap. So much better riding. I own a Carve SL and it's awesome.
    X2

Nice bike with great geometry and I like the color.

Quote Originally Posted by tomparker View Post
    For that price, buy it. I started with an inexpensive Nashbar 29er rigid SS and it got me hooked, and it is still a favorite ride. Take the deal, upgrade as you wish, then eventually use the experience to spec out your long term actual ride...
    I started with Haro Mary SS, great riding steel frame. Totally regretted selling it and bought Nashbar 29er SS to replace it...I've owned all the frame types and like track ends the best, simple, cheap, strong, light. Steel frame does ride better though...price was right, well equipped and I've ridden the heck out of it and it asks for more. I swapped tires, saddle, and grips, trimmed bars to fit and ride!
    Nashbar Single-Speed 29er Mountain Bike

Picked up a used Raleigh XXIX for $360. This thing is awesome. It is a blast to ride. I would like to upgrade a few things to lighten it up. Any suggestions would be helpful. I would like straight bars, different crank and maybe a 19T. How hard is it to change? Here are some pictures. Thanks for all the tips.
    Congratulations, nice bike and good price! I like Easton EA70 bars, they make carbon bars too.
    https://www.eastoncycling.com/produc...bars/mountain/

I've had good luck with Truvativ Stylo 1.1G Single Cranksets, decent weight and good price too. Fairly easy to change stuff, but you should read more MTBR first, check out Youtube bike maintenance videos too.
    Truvativ Stylo 1.1G Single Chainset | Chain Reaction Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by Glynn Sluder View Post
    Looks great, Question is what size cog does it have now and does the ebb got enough adj. for the 19? How many miles on the chain, ring, and cog?

Cool bike, good price.
    X2

Quote Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post
    X2

Ride often, enjoy and repeat!
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Handle Bar

Should I be looking at a specific width. I like the look of the flat bars.

mtbr member
    Do some push ups and see how far apart your hands are, then go a bit wider. You can also buy a bar that you know is too wide and cut it down as you figure out what width you want. Stem length will also be important, wider bars should be paired with a shorter stem. what is the width of your current bar on the Raleigh?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I would go wide bars(800m) if you don't ride in the woods, where it can be tight. If you do go wide go for a short stem(35-50mm). Makes a 29er handle so much better. I ride out west so the wider the better. Nice find too!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad V2 View Post
    I would go wide bars(800m) if you don't ride in the woods, where it can be tight. If you do go wide go for a short stem(35-50mm). Makes a 29er handle so much better. I ride out west so the wider the better. Nice find too!
    Thank you. This thing is awesome

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Original or Aftermarket

Can anyone tell me if these parts are aftermarket or original?
    Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for a Singlespeed-handle-bar.jpg  

Looking for a Singlespeed-seat-post.jpg  

Looking for a Singlespeed-stem.jpg  

Downcountry AF
    Easton stem, bars, and seatpost are probably stock. as are the Avid brakes. the Oury grips are probably aftermarket and worth keeping. saddle?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Upcyclist
    Looks like you have a 2007: 2007 Raleigh XXIX - BikePedia

And those look like the stock parts, nice find by the way!

If you're thinking about new bars don't buy something based on looks. I'm looking at alt bars because I feel to low and too far forward and my 28" bars suddenly seem too narrow. I'd like the bike to be more playful and getting the right up sweep and back sweep should help. I'm going to see what the LBS has, if they don't have any alt bars I may end up ordering these: Loaded USA :: Loaded Precision Components :: Products

I bought some carbon Easton Havens for my 29" SS which are very nice, but I'm not sure I'll buy more carbon, just isn't that much better than aluminum. I did get mine for pretty cheap at JensonUSA, so it wasn't that painful to experiment.

Here's some alternative bars: Alternative or "Alt" Mountain Bike Handlebar Round Up

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Upgrade Crank

Thanks. I really just want to lighten the bike up a little bit. I want a different crank also. The one on the bike must not be original because it looks like its missing something. Any Suggestions on a decent crank?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I am about $1000 into my fixie, and could have knocked the price down if I weren't so picky about tires and my wheel build. I think this would be totally do-able at around $800.

- On One Inbred SS frame
    - Surly Karate Monkey fork
    - Surly Ultra New hubs laced into DT Swiss E512 rims (w/ DT Comp spokes of course!)
    - Various RaceFace parts and whatever was on sale during Black Friday

Looking for a Singlespeed-fixie.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Granted she is a 26er but here is my budget singlespeed. Actually a GT Tequesta but could not find Tequesta decals after I had it powdercoated. Love it and ride it all the time. Great paved trail bike with the family.

Hard to tell in the pic but the rims have alloy gold nipples. Got them from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse last year when they were blowing out their 26 inch wheels. $151 shipped for Mavic XM117 rims, SLX hubs, DT Swiss Champions and alloy nipples.

My bike is kinda my take on the Hans Rey Edition Karakorum GT had a couple of years ago.

Looking for a Singlespeed-20160717_094317.jpg
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Agree with earlier posters, looks pretty stock. Lots of options out there for a crankset, I've always been partial to Race Face Deus/Turbine cranks but the Shimano Saint or XT cranks are solid too. I had a Truvativ SS crank for almost 9 years without worry either. One does not need a SS crankset though, now none of mine are, there are all triple technically. What do you think is missing on the current crank? I prefer lock on grips, but the Oury's have a good following. I would replace the BB5s with BB7s or something else. I would replace the headset too with a nicer Cane Creek, maybe a 40. Hit the online retailers and see what you can get for your funds. Honestly though, I wouldn't worry too much about replacing parts until they need it. The one thing that you could replace that would change the ride quality the most would be wheels, but that will also be the most expensive thing to replace. I would just look around for deals on closeouts from previous years.

Upcyclist
    I agree with dbhammercycle, ride it and replace/upgrade as needed. The more you ride it the lighter it'll get.

If you had lock on grips you could slide them out a bit, maybe an inch on each side and see how a wider bar would feel. You'd need the lock ring to be on the inside (near the brake lever) of the grips, of course. ODI Rouges are popular. I actually liked the Specialized ergon grips on my SS.

I bet the previous owner put a smaller chainring on, that's why your crankset looks different than stock.

Downcountry AF
    something else i forgot to mention. what is that front tire? it looks less aggressive than the 2.4 MTN king on the rear. you might want to swap them around so the more aggressive tire is on the front.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by blkangel View Post
    Granted she is a 26er but here is my budget singlespeed. Actually a GT Tequesta but could not find Tequesta decals after I had it powdercoated. Love it and ride it all the time. Great paved trail bike with the family.

Hard to tell in the pic but the rims have alloy gold nipples. Got them from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse last year when they were blowing out their 26 inch wheels. $151 shipped for Mavic XM117 rims, SLX hubs, DT Swiss Champions and alloy nipples.

My bike is kinda my take on the Hans Rey Edition Karakorum GT had a couple of years ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160717_094317.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	296.5 KB 
ID:	1083139
    That's a nice looking bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Agree with earlier posters, looks pretty stock. Lots of options out there for a crankset, I've always been partial to Race Face Deus/Turbine cranks but the Shimano Saint or XT cranks are solid too. I had a Truvativ SS crank for almost 9 years without worry either. One does not need a SS crankset though, now none of mine are, there are all triple technically. What do you think is missing on the current crank? I prefer lock on grips, but the Oury's have a good following. I would replace the BB5s with BB7s or something else. I would replace the headset too with a nicer Cane Creek, maybe a 40. Hit the online retailers and see what you can get for your funds. Honestly though, I wouldn't worry too much about replacing parts until they need it. The one thing that you could replace that would change the ride quality the most would be wheels, but that will also be the most expensive thing to replace. I would just look around for deals on closeouts from previous years.
    Thanks a lot. I'm going to look into new wheels. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I agree with dbhammercycle, ride it and replace/upgrade as needed. The more you ride it the lighter it'll get.

If you had lock on grips you could slide them out a bit, maybe an inch on each side and see how a wider bar would feel. You'd need the lock ring to be on the inside (near the brake lever) of the grips, of course. ODI Rouges are popular. I actually liked the Specialized ergon grips on my SS.

I bet the previous owner put a smaller chainring on, that's why your crankset looks different than stock.
    Your right Cornfield... I don't like the look of the crankset at all. I really want to change it out.

Upcyclist
    lol! Sounds like you've got upgradeitus.

There's lot's of good cranksets out there, I'd look for a deal on something like a SRAM carbon or similar.

SRAM X01 BB30 Crank Arms - Mountain Cranksets | Competitive Cyclist

Rent this space for $
    ^That's a pretty decent deal. I'd consider that myself for my SS but the BB30 is problematic, I believe. I'm thinking I'd be limited to a 24mm crankset, if I'm not mistaken. Is it possible to squeeze a BB30 and it's appropriate BB into a 68mm English shell?

Upgradeitus indeed. I have some Easton Havoc carbon 750's coming tomorrow and a new Specialized Henge saddle in the next couple days. I still need to source a 300mm carbon seatpost that's relatively cheap.

Upcyclist
    I didn't check the specifications and I'm not sure which BB the OP has, just trying to point in a good direction.

I'd have to look up compatibility, and I'd start here: Sheldon Brown's Bottom Bracket Size Database

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    something else i forgot to mention. what is that front tire? it looks less aggressive than the 2.4 MTN king on the rear. you might want to swap them around so the more aggressive tire is on the front.
    OneSpeed would that makes a difference putting the more aggressive tire in front?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I didn't check the specifications and I'm not sure which BB the OP has, just trying to point in a good direction.

I'd have to look up compatibility, and I'd start here: Sheldon Brown's Bottom Bracket Size Database
    That is so confusing lol... Why cant they just tell me what I need? lol

Downcountry AF
    OneSpeed would that makes a difference putting the more aggressive tire in front?
    yes! in general it is better to have the slightly wider and more aggressive tire in front.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot. I'm going to look into new wheels. Any suggestions?
    How much mula you thinkin' 'bout pulling outta the ol' wallet? Lot of good options out there. One option is to get a wheelset with a standard freewheel, more options and possibly better resale value. Getting a SS specific rear will give you a slightly stronger wheel with less dish, but has some limitations. I would probably go with Hope Hubs for a lil color bling with Stans or WTB rims. Keep checking on your local CL and the online retailers and you could get lucky.

mtbr member
    That is so confusing lol... Why cant they just tell me what I need? lol
    Per BikePedia, a 2007 Raleigh XXIX has a GXP BB & TruVativ Fire X Crankset with a 32t chain ring.

2007 Raleigh XXIX - BikePedia

So, if you want a new crankset and keep the bottom bracket, then you need to get another GXP crankset.

If you want a Shimano Hollowtech II crankset, then you'll want to replace the $20 bottom bracket as well.

As a side note, you don't necessarily need to replace the crankset with another single speed specific crankset. In fact, I'd try to go with a double or triple crankset because they are just more abundant. A double will look better with one single chain ring though...

What don't you like about the black stock crankset? Looks fine to me.

EXORCIZE
    Jeepfan, great find but please consider keeping that fork! A color-matched, non-suspension corrected steel fork is AWESOME. It was custom designed for that frame, was a major selling point of that bike back in the day, so think long and hard before replacing it. I would TOTALLY keep it on there myself. If you do replace it, be mindful of the axle-to-crown length and offset, because that fork is quite different than all other rigid 29er forks.

If you want a bump in performance, invest in a good wheelset, something like Hope hubs and some non-narrow rims (e.g. Stan's Flow EX, Easton Arc 30, WTB i29, or Chinese carbon rims). Crankset is probably the last thing I'd consider replacing.

Looks like an Exiwolf tire up front. Rolls fast as I recall. Pretty light for its volume and short knobs. Work better on the rear IMO.

mtbr member
    I agree with the wheelset! The best bang for your buck. I think the cranks and chain ring look awesome. I'm sure that's because I love the microdrive look on BMX bikes. Anyway, you mentioned changing the cog. If you don't like the look of the cranks I'd start with a 32t chain ring. You may prefer the look and this will change your gearing, possibly to what you're looking for.
    This is a sweet looking bike! Enjoy.
    18" rigid Unit