Looking for a single speed mountain bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Looking for a single speed mountain bike

I am currently looking for a single speed mountain bike, for cruising around campus for recreation. I want a bike that I can batter a little bit, jumping small stairs and bunnyhopping with. This bike would be ideal if it was only a 26" http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tcast29_08.htm The price is great for my current situation. Can anyone help recommend me a bike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I could see myself enjoying a racing bike, although I don't know if it is practical for my use.

solo speeder
    Aug 2009
    why wouldyou want a 26"?? if you're wanting to jump it, you should look into a DJ bike instead of a mtb. then you're looking at $$.
    Brandon Meeks
    Haro Mary SS
    Trek Superfly FS
    Surly Pug Ops

AZ
    banned
    That is a good choise as long as you dont want to huck any 5 footers .

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Does a 29" wheel make it harder to hop the bike up?

solo speeder
    Aug 2009
    i can hop my 29er as high as my 26er. I've jumped a few staircases on it (Haro Mary is pretty close to that moto you're looking at) and aside from the wheels knocking out of true every time (i weigh 215) and feeling like i'm landing from a 10 story building (no suspension sucks landing on concrete) it handles everything fine. If I get more into riding and jumping, i'll be getting me a 24" bike
    Brandon Meeks
    Haro Mary SS
    Trek Superfly FS
    Surly Pug Ops

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyhopp
    Does a 29" wheel make it harder to hop the bike up?
    basically yes, but you can adjust. 29er frames are designed with more bottom bracket drop (vertical distance from the center of the hubs down to the BB) in order to still have the same BB height. BB drop has a big affect on how easily you can lift the front end, which is the reason why trials bikes go the other direction and have BB higher than their hubs.

You will have to work a little harder and adjust your technique, but still totally doable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ky_ace
    i can hop my 29er as high as my 26er. I've jumped a few staircases on it (Haro Mary is pretty close to that moto you're looking at) and aside from the wheels knocking out of true every time (i weigh 215) and feeling like i'm landing from a 10 story building (no suspension sucks landing on concrete) it handles everything fine. If I get more into riding and jumping, i'll be getting me a 24" bike
    I gotta say, with that description, it does not sound like it handles everything fine.
    I don't knock my 26" SS wheels out of true every time I jump over a bump. I kinda think that was the question.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman
    I gotta say, with that description, it does not sound like it handles everything fine.
    I don't knock my 26" SS wheels out of true every time I jump over a bump. I kinda think that was the question.
    yeah, i agree it doesn't sound right. There are lots of large guys riding 29er wheels without problems like that. A good wheel build is the key; stock factory built wheels do tend to have more problems regardless of 26" or 29".

I weigh 200lbs and my stock 29er rear wheel has only needed one good truing since I got it 15 months ago. I ride on very rocky trails, hit lots of small drops, staircases, etc.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    yeah, i agree it doesn't sound right. There are lots of large guys riding 29er wheels without problems like that. A good wheel build is the key; stock factory built wheels do tend to have more problems regardless of 26" or 29".

I weigh 200lbs and my stock 29er rear wheel has only needed one good truing since I got it 15 months ago. I ride on very rocky trails, hit lots of small drops, staircases, etc.
    +1.

I'm with stupid
    Would this be a good bike to get just to get into a 29r single spee to see if you like it? I dont wanna spend a ton of cash to find out i dont like it, but dont want to buy junk and like it and automaticly have to get a new bike. Or buy something that is not very good and end up not liking it cause of the bike being junk. What would you guys suggest?

OP you might wanna look at the GT peace. The 09 models come in 26"

Ovaries on the Outside
    29er SS could be perfect. Or geared FS 26". Or maybe 650b with a front suspension will do you better. Maybe you will like the climbing of a 26" rear and a 650b front.

So who knows what you are going to like. Borrow bikes when you can and have multiple bikes.

solo speeder
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman
    Well I'd say there is a pretty big difference in a "bump" and a 3-5' drop to flat on concrete. Also, reading all the reviews about the stock Mary wheels, I'm not surprised by the fact that they knock out of true "easily".
    Brandon Meeks
    Haro Mary SS
    Trek Superfly FS
    Surly Pug Ops

solo speeder
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyhopp
    I am currently looking for a single speed mountain bike, for cruising around campus for recreation. I want a bike that I can batter a little bit, jumping small stairs and bunnyhopping with. This bike would be ideal if it was only a 26" http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tcast29_08.htm The price is great for my current situation. Can anyone help recommend me a bike?

Now to put this thing back on track... THIS is the question that's to be answered... Based on what he's looking for. I'd say go with an older Trek 820 or 930. You can find them cheap, strip them down and make them single speed with a tensioner, and go beat the crap out of it for less than a couple hundred bucks.
    Brandon Meeks
    Haro Mary SS
    Trek Superfly FS
    Surly Pug Ops

Members who have read this thread: 0