Looking for rigid fork for a new Chameleon- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Looking for rigid fork for a new Chameleon

Any suggestions on one that'll fit either a 26" or 29" wheel? I want to be open to trying a 96er at some point.

Mtn Biker Machinist

Surly

Is your riding more xc style, or rougher all mountain/freeride?

The Surly 1X1 will work with both 26" and 29" wheels, but may feel a bit short for the Chameleon with a 26" wheel. The Surly Instigator will fit both as well, and will probably match the geometry of the bike a bit better with the 26" wheel. It may really chopper things out with a 29" wheel though.

If you want it to ride well with the 26", and still fit a 29 wheel if the mood strikes you, go for the instigator. It is designed more for a bike like the chameleon.

frog

mtbr member
    Heres a pic of my chameleon with a Surly Instigator

Out spokin'
    Is the Instigator the same as a Karate Monkey? I have a KM fork on my Vulture -- I run it in the wet months. (In the dry, I run a Fox 125mm Vanilla.) Anyway, a couple years ago I put a 29er front wheel in the KM fork for a time and it worked real well. The bike handled differently but certainly not worse.

Thinking of going back to that setup, even.

Anyway, just wondering if the forks are the same but known by two different names. Or are they different?

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Sparty,

It looks like the axle to crown distance 447mm for the Instigator, 468mm for the Karate Monkey and the brake boss position are the differences, rake is the same at 43mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog

The Surly 1X1 will work with both 26" and 29" wheels, but may feel a bit short for the Chameleon with a 26" wheel. The Surly Instigator will fit both as well, and will probably match the geometry of the bike a bit better with the 26" wheel. It may really chopper things out with a 29" wheel though.

If you want it to ride well with the 26", and still fit a 29 wheel if the mood strikes you, go for the instigator. It is designed more for a bike like the chameleon.

frog
    Probably more XC than anything else.

Steel and teeth.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog

frog
    I switched my Chameleon from a Fox Vanilla 130/26" wheel to an Instigator fork/29" wheel and the ride height is all but identical. I've never taken the time to work out the change in geometry , but the bike handles really well and is blast to ride. The Chameleon is rated for up to a 160mm fork, so with the Instigator fork/29" wheel, it is like a match made in heaven, i.e. the bike isn't "choppered' out. In fact, the bike is a bit too twitchy (for my taste) with the Instigator/26" wheel combo. As an aside, and please excuse my verbosity, a *short* 29" compatible fork would also work, but one should aim for ~447 mm a-to-c length to preserve the geometry. I looked into a Niner fork (or something similar), but at an a-to-c of 490mm, you can quickly see how that might be a bit too drastic (and most other 29" forks were also quite long, albeit not that long).

Anyway, I hope this helps. It is a fun bike to ride.

bb

mtbr member
    Would it be safe to assume that between the Instigator and KM that the Instigator will be "less twitchy" on a 26"? That would be my initial set up so I want the compromise to lean towards 26" but still have 29" once in a while.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder
    Would it be safe to assume that between the Instigator and KM that the Instigator will be "less twitchy" on a 26"? That would be my initial set up so I want the compromise to lean towards 26" but still have 29" once in a while.
    No. The shorter fork increases the HTA and reduces trail which tends to make the handling quicker.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    No. The shorter fork increases the HTA and reduces trail which tends to make the handling quicker.
    OK, that's makes sense. Almost sounds like the KM is better for my tastes, I'd like something smooth. Also, that might give me less concern for toe overlap, though I'd guess on a small frame I can't avoid it at all.

Members who have read this thread: 0