Looking for a rigid 1" threaded fork that doesn't suck- Mtbr.com
    Ich bin ein Berliner.
    Sep 2007

Looking for a rigid 1" threaded fork that doesn't suck

I've got an old Klein Fervor that I picked up for a song and converted over to a SS. Great lightweight bike, even when built up with a bunch of nice NOS stuff that I couldn't afford back when I was a kid. I'm super happy with the buildup, aside from the fork. As I'm sure you know, these older Kleins are cursed with 1" threaded forks. Ideally, I'd love a straight bladed Tange fork with Canti bosses, but don't really know if it exists. I realize that the normal Tange fork I've got on there works just as well, but there's that nagging part of me that simply hates the way it looks. I'm guessing I'm pretty much forced to stick with what I have or try to find some older elastomer Rock Shox Indy garbage, but I figured I'd ask in case I'd overlooked anything. Let me know what (if anything) is out there.
    Last edited by crushkilldstroy; 09-30-2007 at 11:30 PM.

mtbr member

Chris Igleheart...

Used to build forks for Fat Chance, and still makes one just like my Yo Eddie fork. Not cheap, but less than these things have been going for on ebay lately. Anyway, he can customize anything you want. Check out his site.

http://www.iglebike.com/

mtbr member
    You'll probably get alot more responses if you ask this question in the vintage retro classic forum.
    Wanted: broken Titec 2 bolt seatpost, any size

is buachail foighneach me
    call around to local shops. my local has a rack of old rigid forks in the back of the shop. i'll check next time i'm in there to see if they have anything. how long is your heat tube?

mtbr member

Well,actually..

I got a 2007 Pace RC31 carbon fiber fork with a 1" steerer from Webcyclery..
    it`s on this Itzawut..
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    How about a Kona Project2?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Of course you can always get one custom made..... if you don't mind the $$$ for a rigid fork.

I'm helping a friend convert a 1991 Klein Rascal in to a SS. He had the bike since it was new, but ditched the original fork for a RS Mag 20 way beack when it was new. The Mag 20 was essentially a noodly POS and darned near impossible to renovate.

I tried scouring ebay for about 6 months for a 1" rigid fork and had no luck, especially since this is an XL frame and needed a minimum steerer tube of 212mm. The stock fork was also about 403mm from axle to crown.

It seemed like I could never get all the attributes I required into one fork. Many of the old rigid forks from back in the day were about 390mm axle to crown and he did not want to go any steeper on the HA with a shorter A-to-C than was originally spec's on the bike.

We ended up finally finding a new-old stock 1" Judy with an uncut threaded steerer on ebay.

The good news about going with this particular Judy is that the crown uses bolts to secure the stanchions and you can cut the lowers/stanchions from a Sid fork and they fit perfectly into the Judy crown. This should give the old Klein a new lease on life for years to come.

If you're determined to go with a rigid fork, and don't mind spending a few $$$, then you can probably save yourself a fair amount of time and just go ahead and get the fork you want custom made by a reputable frame maker and get the exact configuration you require.

mtbr member
    Vicious makes what your looking for. Their forks ride very nice too.
    http://www.viciouscycles.com/forks.php3

MC
    "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always 20 years behind the times." Twain

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    right here.............Tange on the cheap, vicious for the deluxe.

Ich bin ein Berliner.
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsalty
    right here.............Tange on the cheap, vicious for the deluxe.
    That's what I already had. Just looking to pretty the bike up a bit, hopefully without dropping a million bucks on it. Thanks for the links everyone.

I just bought a new old stock Tange 1 inch threaded ss fork from mrbikeman on ebay, buy it now at 45 buck plus shipping and he had several version of the fork in stock. I bought the 190 mm fork and I think he had one in stock with a longer steer tube. Just keep and eye out and hopefully he will re-post it

mtbr member
    you can convert to threadless. It requires a new headset and stem. That should open up options.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crushkilldstroy
    That's what I already had. Just looking to pretty the bike up a bit, hopefully without dropping a million bucks on it. Thanks for the links everyone.
    Vicious are nice .................and pricey, which there lies the rub.
    although, I guess good selection at higher prices is better than no selection at all.

I was interested in building up a old Trek Cr-mo frame, but need a 1" replacement fork it.
    instead I put a deposit down on an IRO Rob Roy for the group buy ($160 F/F).

Here is the link for the Tange ss fork on ebay. It is a new old stock Super Light Tange 90.K.l.C SS Bike 26" Cr-Mo Rigid Fork.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-Light-Tang...QQcmdZViewItem

Members who have read this thread: 6