looking for more speed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

looking for more speed

I have been riding my raleigh ss xxix for a few months now, get out about 3 times a week. My cardio has gone through the roof and am able to hit a lot of the climbs i couldnt do before. My problem is that now I spin out too much on the flats with the stock gearing 33t front and 20t rear. my question is what is a good gear to get so i'mnot spinning so much on the flats?

mtbr member
    Buy a couple smaller cogs/freewheels. Experiment.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    is there that much of a difference going from a 20 to an 18?

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by ackack
    is there that much of a difference going from a 20 to an 18?
    yes. mostly noticeable on the uphills...
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Pedaler of dirt
    Doesn't exist unless you can spin those cranks up to 160rpm. I run a 34x16 and I spin out on the flats. A higher gear would mean I wouldn't be able to climb the few small hills we have.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

Apr 2007
    I'd just get one of each from 18-22 (maybe 16-20 in your case). Buy a proper cog like Surly (sorry, ISAR--I'll start plugging your product once I test it out ).

Dive Bomber
    Add 1 teeth is very noticable though.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Agreed, do your changes in 1 tooth increments.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

mtbr member
    You were out at Markham on tuesday weren't you? I was on the teal, rigid Vassago.

I make myself earn higher gears. If I can't make every single climb, then I still have more work to do.

Whenever I start making EVERY climb, every time, out at Markham, then its time to go one tooth smaller in the back.
    Last edited by hallowedpoint; 11-11-2010 at 06:17 AM.

mtbr member
    search google for Dimension single-speed cogs. they cost $3 each. buy a few sizes 14t-19t and experiment. i have several of these generic cogs and they work fine. if/when you find a cog you really like, buy a fancy Surly cog.

@adelorenzo
    Singlespeeding is always a compromise... Personally, I will sacrifice some climbing to be less spun out in the singletrack.

1 tooth in the back is a big change. Try that first.

mtbr member
    I recently went from 32 x 20 to 32 x 19....yep...I could definitely tell. I'd go one tooth at a time.

Kiss my Grits!

I disagree

One tooth is not much. I switch my gearing whenever I can make all the climbs on my normal trails. Once I succeed, I must go back to failing until I succeed, and so on. I make two teeth adjustments. Admitedly, I am not much of a spinner, but rather more of a masher.

You can't go wrong though; if you're high gears or riding low gears, you're riding.
    Sometimes, with a very strenuous effort, I will fatigue.

master blaster
    52x12

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    yes. mostly noticeable on the uphills...
    For me its "most" notable on the flats. Likely depends alot on the types of climbs you ride I guess.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Chim Chim
    One tooth is not much. I switch my gearing whenever I can make all the climbs on my normal trails. Once I succeed, I must go back to failing until I succeed, and so on. I make two teeth adjustments. Admitedly, I am not much of a spinner, but rather more of a masher.

You can't go wrong though; if you're high gears or riding low gears, you're riding.
    In my experience, 1 tooth makes a very noticeable difference. As in clearing a climb vs walking up the hill (not that there is anything wrong with that). On flats, I agree on the 2 tooth increments. But as soon as those hills come, get ready for some humble pie.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Quote Originally Posted by jackspade
    Add 1 teeth is very noticable though.
    Have to agree, went from a 32 front to a 33 and noticed a change immediately, but it's not leg killing change just enough to build up new strength.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality
    52x12

Wimp. Try a hard gear.
    It's not rocket surgery...

Ovaries on the Outside
    Have you tried downshifting?

How fast can you go before you spin out? It might be worthwhile to try to train yourself to have a higher cadence? I hate not clearing uphill sections, so in the rare situation where I'm "spinning out" I'm fine because I can really spin for a while...

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    what umarth said.. people always get caught up with "oh i can climb this and this", but when it comes to flat sections, they just coast or noodle it. You gotta man up on all sections, not just the ones that make you look more impressive. Peg your heart rate before you get to the hill, then try and clean it. Whole different ball game.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    what umarth said.. people always get caught up with "oh i can climb this and this", but when it comes to flat sections, they just coast or noodle it. You gotta man up on all sections, not just the ones that make you look more impressive. Peg your heart rate before you get to the hill, then try and clean it. Whole different ball game.
    What he said...especially the part about "manning up on all sections, not just the ones that make you look impressive." SS is friggin' hard and you have to deal with that. Or, you could go back to gears.
    True North custom chromoly SS Rigid 29er. FUN+

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    As for noticing a one tooth gear change, especially at the wheel, I think how much of a difference you feel is directly proportional to how close to your limit you ride. At the limit, small changes are very noticeable. Two teeth at the wheel is a big change.
    True North custom chromoly SS Rigid 29er. FUN+

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Lose a tooth or two on the cog, get wide (720mm+) bars, then stand and use your upper body and arms to pump the bike through flats and descents.
    You won't necessarily go faster than spinning like crazy, but it's a funner ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0