Looking for modern singlespeed race frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Looking for modern singlespeed race frame

I know we have had a couple threads recently looking for a singlespeed with trail geometry. But I need some help looking for a new frame with what I would call modern XC geometry for racing. Something like the new Scotts or Konas with a 69ish degree head tube angle and would use a 51mm offset fork.

The Pivot Les is the leading contender. The Kona Big Unit fits perfectly too. Just want to make sure that I am not overlooking anything before I buy. I would even consider using a PF30/BB30 eccentric adapter for any frames with a 30mm bottom bracket. There just doesn't seem to be much out there in this category.

Thanks for any other ideas!
    [

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    You might want to check out the Santa Cruz Highball. It's a 70.5 headtube, so perhaps not quite slack enough for what you want, but maybe close. I have not ridden one yet, but it is high on my list as I'm also looking for a more race-ish singlespeed in the near future.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    No longer made, but the Trek Superfly SS may fit the bill. 29er, sliding dropouts, 69.3/69.6 (frame size dependent), fully rigid, G2 geometry, 142/100 axles (not boost), room for 3" front, 2.4" rear. Been putting some miles on mine and love it.

http://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2...fly_ss/details

I have the geometry chart if curious.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    Arent we all my friend. They dont make the Kona Big Unit anymore.

I like a guy mentioned Highball. Thats probably where ill end up. I race a Niner One 9 RDO now, its a size too big. I actually got so sick of looking for ss race bikes last year ordered a custom built frame and got custom built hot poop. Ended up with Niner, not far from that steaming pile.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

Downcountry AF
    Ibis Tranny w/ 120 fork
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the suggestions. I got a new Salsa Spearfish with 69.5 headtube, and going back to my 71 degree Salsa Selma just isn't much fun anymore. So definitely looking for something slacker than 70.

I guess the Pivot is the best answer out there. Was hoping there was something else I was overlooking or not aware of.

The Trek would probably work, but with the team/shop I am affiliated with, Trek is no bueno.
    [

Downcountry AF
    correct me if i'm wrong, i don't know a great deal about current aluminum and carbon XC frames, but don't most modern bikes use some form of PF/30mm BB? I know they're not all compatible, but i would think a lot of "non SS" frames could be adapted no?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I was hoping someone would suggest a current modern geometry XC frame with a PF/30 BB, seems several have moved to a BB92 BB.
    [

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    You could also check out the new Giant XTC SS. It comes as a 27.5+ and I recall the geometry being a bit odd.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The new Niner Air 9 RDO is a little slacker this year and it can be ran SS.

SS Pusher Man
    +1 on the Highball......throw a 120mm fork on it, slacks it out just enough.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    Admittedly I'm not current with all the options on the market but last year I was looking for something very similar to your goals but I wanted a Ti frame. I wasn't concerned with having all the latest technology and wanted reliability for 24 hr solos and 100 milers. My choice: a Carver 420 frame and 120mm Float (51mm offset) with XTR and Thomson components. Also have a Niner RDO fork when suspension isn't needed. With the goals I had I couldn't be happier with my choice although the 120mm fork was overkill most of the time. That was recently remedied with a 100mm Sid XX but won't test it for at least another month.

Disclaimer: If I did only races <100 miles I'd probably choose a carbon frame and lighter components.

jct
    mtbr member
    i have a highball with a 120 and really like it. i run it with gears and a dropper as it's my main XC race bike hehehe.

i'm also looking to pick up a new jabberwocky 29+ that'll be at 68* with a 120. rigid or 100mm keeps it at 70*. fork offset is 45mm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Vassago Verhauen