looking for light SS crank and BB- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

looking for light SS crank and BB

So the jamis 29, SS is on the way, Can't ride it untill next year, but looking to put in on a big diet. claimed weight is #25, I'd like it around #21ish

Have AM classic wheels and headset, syntance stem/bar/post, stans rim strips and crow tires, FSA seat ti railed seat.

now, what crank and BB to go with.

Can go either way with ISIS vs square taper

The goal is light, and "normal" parts. I dont want to use a crank that needs some bizzare tool to extract it (coda magic), or some rings that only fit that crank (white ind).
    Not looking for retro cool (cook bros)

just light, durable and cheap, In that order....

or should all of this go to the WW forum .....

34N 118W

Xt

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion

The goal is light, and "normal" parts. I dont want to use a crank that needs some bizzare tool to extract it (coda magic), or some rings that only fit that crank (white ind).
    why not external bearing? try Shimano XT with standard pattern BCD. (4 bolt 104mm) 860g. Or FSA carbon. XTR uses funky BCD. No idea what your budget is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Certainly would stay away from ISIS - a design that never really worked that well. I like square taper for it's versatility and proven use but Octalink or the newer Shimano 2 piece cranks should be fine. You're spoilt for choice really.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i think my favourite ss cranks atm are middleburn with the uno ring - but you said you didn't want any funky non-standard setups.

therefore i say, get a set of raceface turbine lp of ebay. either square or isis. if square run it with a phil wood bb, if isis then the only bb worth using is skf in the 600 series. square is lighter, isis is stiffer.

something new on the market though are the crank brothers isis bb's that have a 5 year warrenty so shouldn't be dying to quickly. maybe mate them with a set of the crank brothers cobalt cranks.

you're right to stay away from external bb setups. heavy, wide q-factor, not smooth spinning at all.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    The last crank I bought was a Shimano XT. My reasoning for it was the only crank significantly lighter was also significantly more expensive (XTR).
    I wasn't looking at square taper though, maybe there is a better choice there?

I like wheelies

Middleburns, but...

How about square taper Middleburns, but with a conventional spider? Then you'll have choice of any rings you'd like, a bashguard if that's your thing, and you'll never need to buy another set of cranks. Can't go wrong, IMO.

Poorly Disguised Poser

Jeff Jones

So the jamis 29, SS is on the way, Can't ride it untill next year, but looking to put in on a big diet. claimed weight is #25, I'd like it around #21ish

Have AM classic wheels and headset, syntance stem/bar/post, stans rim strips and crow tires, FSA seat ti railed seat.

now, what crank and BB to go with.

just light, durable and cheap, In that order....

or should all of this go to the WW forum .....
    priority one, was "light", last priority was cheap. Contact Jeff Jones about cutting down an XTR crank to make it SS. These are pretty light.

I am really enjoying my low Q-factor cranks with the rings like you mention, but you dont like the one pc. chainring.... BTW why dont you like the proprietary splines?

There are some real advantages to a splined one pc. chain ring. I could never keep the tight-loose spots out of my chain when using a spider and ring, I could adjust it out, but one hard ride and it came back. Now that I am using a splined ring, it is butter smooth, and the rings are easy to swap out. No loose chain ring bolts...ever. The chain rings seem to cost about the same (WebCyclry has enos for 45 and surlys for 38).

Just some thoughts...if you already knew all this stuff, disregard my comments. I am really diggin' these cranks and thought I would share my observations.

Good luck and have fun in your hunt.
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Got any pics Unit? Sounds interesting.

-> SickLines.com <-
    Middleburn's, xtr m952's, xt's with the two piece external bb, new 07 XTR's have a standard bcd at 104.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I dont like the unique parts as they limit the options later. Anyone tried to fine tools to remove a coda magic crank? Or a small ring for the 952? XTR?

I like the raceface turbine and phil woods ideas.

Will a external XT be lighter?

middleburn. Is this a UK thing? No large distributor in Canada for them. again makes parts hard to find.

thanks for the help guys. keep the ideas coming

Poorly Disguised Poser

Pics of what?

Quote Originally Posted by felixdale
    Got any pics Unit? Sounds interesting.

Jones cranks (XTRs cut down for SS)? here is a picture.

The cranks *I* have? They are just your run of the mill Eno cranks by White Industries (SWEET!). I don't have any pics here, but I did post one up here yesterday. They are really nice IMO, but nothing that has not been seen around here before.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

mtbr member
    I just threw a RaceFace XC X-Type Deus, it's claimed around 830-ish gramms, I removed the rings, replaced the middle one with Balckspire SS specific ring and Spot bashguard in place of the big ring. That's right around 800g for the whole thing. Doesn't get any more "normal parts" than that.

34N 118W
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    new 07 XTR's have a standard bcd at 104.
    sh*t, that could be the ticket. The spider doesn't need to be cut down either.

I have M960 XTR w/ext. bearings on one SS and White's ENO's w/Square taper on another. Like them both lots. The White w/BB *seem* like they'd be heavier but I'd have to weigh everything to know for sure....to the shop!!

the diff in Q factor doesn't bother me.

http://www.shimano-xtr.com/theProduct.html

Got Mojo?
    I like the raceface turbine and phil woods ideas.

Looking for 180's?
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    Looking for 180's?
    can be if the price is right .

what we talking?

mtbr member
    I love my Race Face Deus, nice n light but very strong n stiff.

-> SickLines.com <-
    some stiffness #'s for those who care (from french VTT Magazine)

The RF were 1288grams (incl.BB) and it took 57.5 N/m to flex it by 1 millimeter.
    The Saints came in at 1108g and took 67.0 N/m to flex the same amount.
    XTR 790g - 53.8 N/m
    XT 862g - 52.4 N/m
    Hone+LX 926g - 50.7 N/m
    Truvativ Stylo 884g - 52.6 N/m
    RF Evolve DH 1232g - 54.7 N/m
    RF Atlas 948g - 54.0 N/m
    FSA K-Force (carbon) 854g - 58.8 N/m !

Got Mojo?
    can be if the price is right .

what we talking?
    check yur PM's
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    I got the RaceFace Evolve XC single speed cranks. Pull the bash and you have a nice, light setup for a nice price. Mine have performed perfectly, even surviving the Moab mudfest without any problems. I can't complain.
    All the Dude ever wanted was his rug back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    i wonder how white ind eno cranks hold up against those numbers.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    sh*t, that could be the ticket. The spider doesn't need to be cut down either.

I have M960 XTR w/ext. bearings on one SS and White's ENO's w/Square taper on another. Like them both lots. The White w/BB *seem* like they'd be heavier but I'd have to weigh everything to know for sure....to the shop!!

the diff in Q factor doesn't bother me.

http://www.shimano-xtr.com/theProduct.html
    I suspect the msrp of $629 might scare a few people off though.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    [email protected]
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    I dont like the unique parts as they limit the options later. Anyone tried to fine tools to remove a coda magic crank? Or a small ring for the 952? XTR?
    ???, An XTR 952 crank with a 5 arm spider is super light and allows the use of ANY 5 arm ring. Add to that the fact that you can run a 109mm Ultegra or Dura Ace BB and you have a rockin system.
    "Do not touch the trim"

i don't give a shift
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    ???, An XTR 952 crank with a 5 arm spider is super light and allows the use of ANY 5 arm ring. Add to that the fact that you can run a 109mm Ultegra or Dura Ace BB and you have a rockin system.
    I can only double that. The spiderless chainrings often require you to run the widest 116mm BB - not nice! The spider keeps it all nice, light and tight as Rivet says.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Rivet - I have just started a thread asking similar question and then came across your comment. My question is tIhat I have an Ultegra 6500 BB (68 109.5). Am I correct I can only use XTR cranks, and not XT or LX? If I am correct, which XTR model? Or is this simply a bad idea to use the Ultegra BB?

Any help/suggestions would be a appreciated as this is new to me.

-> SickLines.com <-
    yea you can use the ultegra bb/s on the XTR M95* models to my knowledge but not XT/LX cranks

i don't give a shift
    Quote Originally Posted by durkind
    Rivet - I have just started a thread asking similar question and then came across your comment. My question is tIhat I have an Ultegra 6500 BB (68 109.5). Am I correct I can only use XTR cranks, and not XT or LX? If I am correct, which XTR model? Or is this simply a bad idea to use the Ultegra BB?

Any help/suggestions would be a appreciated as this is new to me.
    XTR 950, 951, and 952. It's absolutely not a bad idea to use the Ultegra BB. It's one of the most bombproof BBs that Shimano has made. If you have enough chainstay clearance with it, I'd say it's the best Octalink BB you can use. Speaking of Octalink, there are two versions, which you can easily tell apart. All the older Ultegra, Dura-Ace and XTR use version 1 (see pic below).

Octalink V1 Spline: 9 speed BB-M952 (XTR), BB-7700 (Dura-Ace), BB-6500 (Ultegra), BB5500 (105)

Octalink V2 Spline: 9 speed ES70/71, ES50/51 (Deore XT M571/572, Deore LX M751/751, M510-8, M440-8, also 2005 Tiagra FC4401 & 4404, 2005 Sora FC-3001 & 3004)

Source: Sheldon Brown

Keep on Rockin...

My favorite...

believe it or not, has been the older splined XTs. I've got 2 sets of 180s that have been bombproof. The BBs are not bad either, unlike ISIS set ups. I've even run my 175mm versions on downhill bikes with zero problems. You can gett'm cheap on ebay and the BB are still readily available and are quite cheap.

Other than the XTs I have 2 sets of 180mm RF LP cranks and they are super. One is an ISIS and one a square taper. On the ISIS I've been running an SKF BB and it's been beaten thoroughly and is still as smooth as day one.

All the above set ups are quite light.

If Middleburn made their cranks in 185s I'd be all over them in a minute, probably an ISIS with and SKF or crank bros BB. I love their smooth look.

Square tapers are nice but I've found them to be a bit flexy. I never did have a higher end square taper though.

Mike

Members who have read this thread: 0