looking to buy a ss hardtail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

looking to buy a ss hardtail

i have been looking for a while now,researching and trying to find the right bike for me,i like the haro mary and the Rockhopper SL Comp 29 SS

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...8&menuItemId=0

http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/tab2_subNav5.php

one is steel frame and one is alum...
    does this make a huge difference in the preformance or handling of the bike?

and if you can recommend a better choice in a 29 ss bike i would like to here it too so i can research it and check it all out...

trying to keep it under 1500 or so dollars...
    thanks for your time...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Steel absorbs vibrations better and is said to be stronger. Aluminum on the other hand is lighter.

mtbr member

Actually No

Quote Originally Posted by cannotaim
    Steel absorbs vibrations better and is said to be stronger. Aluminum on the other hand is lighter.

Neither is lighter than the other when it comes to frame weight in todays world. Look around abit and you will find the weight difference is about the same and in most cases you can have a stell frame weighing lighter than the aluminum frame. As it matters on which materials are really used to constuct the frame. True that for the most part the weight difference is about 1/2 lbs.

Low Rep Count
    Steel can be bent back into place if say you bend a chain stay. Aluminum can to a degree as well however, it is more brittle and runs a greater risk of cracking than steel does. And I will agree, that highend steel tubing is just as light as Good Alum tubing. It really becomes a personal preference imo. Personally, I wouldn't mind having a ti SS myself.

Sorry, I can't offer much advice on SS 29ers in that price range simply because I went the cheap route and bought a steel 26er for under $500. But I already had some decent parts that I could stick on it so I was not too stressed. I can that the Gary Fisher looks pretty nice but I don't know what the pricing is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    just came a cross this one,are they any better choices out there?did not see a trek ss,

http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/rig-single-speed

Woohooo! Moderator
    I would suggest looking for something steel. The difference between a steel hardtail and an aluminum one won't seem obvious on a test ride around the parking lot, but it makes a huge difference on a 3 hour trail ride. A steel bike won't beat you up nearly as much.

holding back the darkness
    Steel bikes have a little more give and dampen vibrations and chattery bumps better than aluminum. That said, lightweight steel can be expensive and some straight gauge steel bikes can be just as harsh as some aluminum ones. Aluminum is typically stiffer, and feels fast, whippy, and racey, but as kristian pointed out, can beat you up after a long day.
    In terms of performance and handling, the manufacturer and geometry have a greater impact, and you may have to demo a couple to get the feel you're looking for.
    I'd probably go with the Mary, if choosing between those options, but I have a crush on steel bikes.
    FWIW... In my daily lap around craigslist I found this little gem:
    http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1721604083.html
    I hate to be spammy, but this looks like a solid deal (maybe too solid?). For the money you would be hard pressed to do better.

Apr 2007
    That Niner is sweet, but story is fishy. Given to him by a relative? Yet, he couldn't ask the relative about the potential worth of the bike and had to go to bike shops to get it appraised? Sounds like the seller got it for a 5 finger discount to me.

"The bike was given to me by a relative. I know very little about it so I took it to 2 bicycle shops and both estimated the bike between 1900 and 2500. It's in perfect shape. I was told by both that the bike was completely custom built from the frame up. It is very comfortable, I've road this bike about 5 miles on rough terrian and it was fun, but I will never get enough use out of it to justify keeping. The pictures don't due justice. I can send more pics if needed. Please feel free to contact me with any questions."

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    "I was told by both that the bike was completely custom built from the frame up. "

This along with the spelling errors (eg "due" instead of "do") make me suspicious as well. I hate the be a grammar nazi but one of the ways you can catch a criminal is by their low level of education reflected in their writing.

holding back the darkness
    I'm with you guys... it does sounds a little fishy. The only clue that adds to some legitimacy is the inclusion of a name and phone number...
    It's a stupid crook that uses his/her phone number (but yes, there are those a-plenty scamming circles).
    Anyway.. worth checking into maybe.

Apr 2007
    Pre-paid cell phones that are virtually untraceable are cheap and used often for scams. Ask me how I know...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    so now i am looking at steel hardtails, what are my choices besides the mary??
    i know the mary is not a hardtail so i will have to buy a fork for it...need more options.....

Apr 2007
    Redline Monocog Flight, Kona Unit, Jamis Dragon ONE, or a Frame build up--Vassago Jabberwocky, Surly Karate Monkey, On One Inbred (just bought one for the wife from On One @ $250 shipped). Too many choices.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    realy liking the gf rig....http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/rig-single-speed

tell me the bad stuff about this rig!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It's aluminum.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by phenotype
    It's aluminum.

if that is all that is bad, i think i can deal with that...

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bhigdon101
    realy liking the gf rig....http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/rig-single-speed

tell me the bad stuff about this rig!!!!
    I have a 2009 Rig and love it........ Zero complaints so far....

I like it so much that I bought a 2010 Rig to make into a 1x9......

Woohooo! Moderator
    It has an eccentric bottom bracket. Search around here and you'll see a lot of people complaining about having problems with their EBBs. My thoughts when buying my bike (Kona Unit) were that for every person who complains about EBB problems on the web, there are probably at least 9 people who are riding them with zero problems. However, I'm not the best mechanic in the world and I didn't want to deal with any potential problems.

Also, I don't think you'll have as much adjustability with an EBB in terms of swapping cogs without swapping chains. On the Unit, the sliding drop outs are long enough that the stock 18t cog it came with was in the middle, the 21t I'm using now is on the "short" end, and I could probably run a 15t on the long end if I wanted to.

Teen Wolf
    the rig is a nice ride man... go for it.

Members who have read this thread: 0