mtbr member

Looking to build a rigid steel 26 SS. Frame recs?

I think EBB makes sense. Otherwise I'm open to suggestions.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    well.. I just switched from an EBB Zion to a "slot dropout" On One Inbred and love it so far... they also have the option to buy the complete bike for a decent price (you could resell what you don't like easily)

On EBB, there's of course the Zion on one side of the spectrum to something custom on the other side... what price range are you looking at?

mtbr member
    Give the Inbred frame serious consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    On EBB, there's of course the Zion on one side of the spectrum to something custom on the other side... what price range are you looking at?
    The Zion is a good standard EBB frame. Otherwise he is right....you are looking at custom.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

rlmf

have you considered the redline monocog flight?

Back on the wagon
    I third the Inbred. A bit harsh for a steel frame/fork, but absolutely bomb proof. Very neutral geometry - does just about anything you want it too (except pedal itself).
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

mtbr member
    Build up a 1x1 not too long ago that I got very lightly used as a temp setup until I could figure out which frame I wanted, but I love this thing and don't have any plans on switching / upgrading. Doesn't have the EBB but with bolt on rear hub I have yet to experience any chain slip.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I ride and race a Bianchi MUSS with Pace RC31 Fork and Carbon Monkey Bars. It's a beautiful ride, and only gets tough on any super bumpy or rocky downhill sections. Climbs and tracks like a dream.

mtbr member
    Price wise, I'd consider up to 1500 for a frame. Redline is out as I have the Monocog schit brown model 29er already. I have a hankering to get a 26er as I have some extra parts that would be nice to put to use.

WIRVNTANASHRSH?
    $1500 Maybe a Strong or Independent Fabrications? What about Ti? I've haven't ridden either off road (although I'm building a steel SS now) so I can't compare ride qualities, but for that kinda cash I'd be looking at the Titus Eleven or a Dean etc... :drool:

yeah... with that budget i would look at a Ti or Exogrid Eleven

Back on the wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by Irrenarzt
    Price wise, I'd consider up to 1500 for a frame. Redline is out as I have the Monocog schit brown model 29er already. I have a hankering to get a 26er as I have some extra parts that would be nice to put to use.
    If you'll fork over $1500, Independent Fabrication should be your first stop.
    RIDE HARD, live easy.

donkey
    gary fisher ferrous bikes are available as frame sets. 26er or 29er, pick your flavor.

mtbr member
    I have a White Ind. Eccentric rear hub for my SS adventures, it works awesome and opens up an unlimited number of frames for you to consider. Right now I sporting a sweet Jamis Dragon that I have Frankenbiked into a 96er. I really, really like the Dragon, great 853 steel ride and won't break the bank.
    Check it out:

http://photo.xanga.com/Single_track_...692/photo.html
    Last edited by mtbyker; 06-08-2007 at 09:28 AM. Reason: upload picture

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Sorry for the thread hijack

Quote Originally Posted by mtbyker
    I have a White Ind. Eccentric rear hub for my SS adventures, it works awesome and opens up an unlimited number of frames for you to consider. Right now I sporting a sweet Jamis Dragon that I have Frankenbiked into a 96er. I really, really like the Dragon, great 853 steel ride and won't break the bank.
    Check it out:

http://photo.xanga.com/Single_track_...692/photo.html
    How do you like the Dragon as a 96er? I built up a Dragon SS and would love to jump into the rigid 29er world. A 96er just might the answer for now. How has the handling/geometry changed? What fork did you put on?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -kelly-
    How do you like the Dragon as a 96er? I built up a Dragon SS and would love to jump into the rigid 29er world. A 96er just might the answer for now. How has the handling/geometry changed? What fork did you put on?
    I really like the Dragon as a 96er. Here is what I did; I use a 26" fork w/ enough clearance to get my 29er wheel in there (I use a Trigon carbon rigid fork, copy of a Ritchey WCS), you need to have about 390mm of clearance and I turned my stem over for a -6 degree drop. This way I'm not up much higher than I was with the 26" front end. The steering angle is a little more slack, but I haven't noticed any adverse effects from it at all. Like I said, I use a Trigon, it's a super weight-weenie fork-weighs exactly a pound w/ the cut steerer (I have them for sale in my ebay store, shameless plug!), but many will work. I had a Pace RC31 on there before with V-brakes, you can just slide the bosses up and down to go from 26"-29er wheels.
    The good from the 96er? Lots. It goes over the roots and bumps nicely, and gets through the sand well to. Corners very nice. Will not endo, ever! Well not yet, but anything's possible! Accelerates better than a 29er.

The bad? No bad really. But a 29er does carry speed better. I have a few other ppl around here trying it out as well, and they all really like it. I have the same set up on my 1x8 geared bike to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

in my experience don't fool yourself....

It is a blanket statement I know, but no one needs disc brakes on a singlespeed. I would not get an EBB. Now that I have booth - I have learned EBB sucks...creaking, lining up the cranks ect. Make your ss life simple...go for horizontal drop outs and v brakes. There...done.

VTW

this account retired
    Quote Originally Posted by victorthewombat
    It is a blanket statement I know, but no one needs disc brakes on a singlespeed. I would not get an EBB. Now that I have booth - I have learned EBB sucks...creaking, lining up the cranks ect. Make your ss life simple...go for horizontal drop outs and v brakes. There...done.

VTW
    i agree with that blanket!

I hope I am not being naive but I gotta say.....my most recent bike I built up (about 5 rides thus far) was done with v-brakes and I would NEVER have imagined how sweet they actually are had I not ridden this bike. I have been off v-brakes for many years now and as with lots of things I preached as gospel, I now retract the "need" for disc brakes. Dont get me wrong, I love disc brakes and in fact on one of my bikes run 6-piston hydro brakes with 8" rotors with stainless steel lines so my baseline is pretty good, but v-brakes rock on single speeds! I find myself now wanting to take my new 26er rigid single speed with v-brakes out over my other considerably blingier and more expensive bikes cuz its so damn fun! Hell, half (at least) the point of single speeds for me is the purity so its great to have one SS that fits that bill.

With respect to the EBB comment, I agree. I am far from "Joe" bike but after having 3 SSs with EBBs (set screw and bushnell), sliding dropout, horizontal dropouts, and on new bike an ENO eccentric to take care of tensioning, I really prefer the ENO Ecc rear hub over all other options. It is THE easiest way to tension by a mile.....no lining up of the rear wheel in a slider or horizontal mode (I know easier with v-brakes, but still more work then ENO Ecc)....I pretty much am done with EBBs....hate em frankly....and slider are pretty cool but would only consider them if it came down to having to pick EBB or sliders. Perhaps best part is that you dont have to obsess with SS-specific frames....just fine a frame you have/like with vertical dropouts made for gears and slap on a rear ENO Ecc based rear wheel and you have the psickest SS setup, IMHO. Makes finding a frame great for obvious reasons. I also prefer freewheels over cassette hubs so the ENO Ecc works out sweet, with a matching ENO freewheel which is friggin bombproof. People whine about chainline...blah blah blah...whine....WTF? no problem......people whine about freewheels being more work to take off/on...WTF? who are these people? With the sweet asss ACS freewheel remove it could not be easier.

As to the original question, I freaking love On One bikes and would run the Inbred rigid without thinking twice....psick bike!

artistic...

VTW
    paul motolites.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

VTW
    well.. here in winter when its really muddy and wet... I might not "need" discs, but I sure feel safer on them

It is a blanket statement I know, but no one needs disc brakes on a singlespeed.
    More power, more control. More power, more control.

Then there are those monsoon showers, alpine hail storms, mud...

One could easily make the opposite statement. For myself, I can't ever see using a rim brake on a mountain bike again. Certainly not a front, in any case.

Jesus Freak
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    ...For myself, I can't ever see using a rim brake on a mountain bike again. Certainly not a front, in any case.
    Werd

mtbr member
    May 2007
    http://www.firstflightbikes.com/NewGoat.htm. check out the whiskeytown racer.
    2007 Mountain Goat Route 29 (Black/Gold)
    2009 Mountain Goat Whiskeytown Racer (Real men ride Pink)
    2008 Trek XO1 Cross Bike

Members who have read this thread: 0