Lookin for a new frame, ideas?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Lookin for a new frame, ideas?

Not that the inbred doesn't rip, but it's just not *fun*

I'm looking for a (i know) 26er. Steel, slack, short chainstays, 120-140 fork, not too expensive. Fun to pump the singletrack, manual, but enough stability to bomb. Does such a beast exist?

Transition TransAm?

Super Moderator SuperModerator

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That Soul looks nice. The BFe is possibly a little overbuilt. I'm not trying to be hardcore descender freeride hardtail singlespeed super-bro, just have a long fork and a fun ride.

Seems like the brits like this style a bit with the on-one summer season & ragley frames, but many of them seem to have long chainstays turning them into a bit of a battleship. Good for riding a hardtail fast through the chunder, but not right for my style. Maybe I just got spoiled by my blur lt2 which manuals on a dime.

mtbr member
    Doesn't your Blur have longer chainstays than those hardtails? I think that points to it being more than just the CS length that makes a bike feel nimble

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by necro View Post
    I'm not trying to be hardcore descender freeride hardtail singlespeed super-bro.
    Any why not? Thats like the SS forum super-hero incarnate... :P

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    Doesn't your Blur have longer chainstays than those hardtails? I think that points to it being more than just the CS length that makes a bike feel nimble
    Actually, no. The blt has (very) slightly shorter CS length unsagged. Sagged it gets a little shorter, and has a far slacker STA.

Regardless, I'm not trying to argue geo. I think the intention of the ride qualities I am looking for are apparent? If I am wrong in what type of geometry will give me a fun, easy to manual, comfortable airing, stable at speed feel then please let me know. Seems like combination of a low bb, a reasonable STA, a short chainstay, and a slack HTA would do it though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by necro View Post
    Actually, no. The blt has (very) slightly shorter CS length unsagged. Sagged it gets a little shorter, and has a far slacker STA.

Regardless, I'm not trying to argue geo. I think the intention of the ride qualities I am looking for are apparent? If I am wrong in what type of geometry will give me a fun, easy to manual, comfortable airing, stable at speed feel then please let me know. Seems like combination of a low bb, a reasonable STA, a short chainstay, and a slack HTA would do it though.
    Ah, I see. I don't know the SC bikes that well I guess.
    edit: Are you sure? Their respective website say 17" CS for the Blur and 16.73" CS for the Inbred Summer Season and all the Ragley frames. Linkage says the BLT2 chainstays are shortest without sag and get longer as the bike goes further into the travel. Anyway, I know that's not really the point

As for BB height, higher is actually better for manuals and popping the front up. A lower will make the bike feel stable at speed and in turns but you will have to put more work into lifting the bike. Maybe that's where your Blur gets it's good behavior?

STA shouldn't really matter for those ride properties unless you're trying to do all this while seated

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    Ah, I see. I don't know the SC bikes that well I guess.
    edit: Are you sure? Their respective website say 17" CS for the Blur and 16.73" CS for the Inbred Summer Season and all the Ragley frames. Linkage says the BLT2 chainstays are shortest without sag and get longer as the bike goes further into the travel. Anyway, I know that's not really the point

As for BB height, higher is actually better for manuals and popping the front up. A lower will make the bike feel stable at speed and in turns but you will have to put more work into lifting the bike. Maybe that's where your Blur gets it's good behavior?

STA shouldn't really matter for those ride properties unless you're trying to do all this while seated
    It's a close thing between the two frames. I'm not exactly using digital calipers to check it. The slot dropout also causes variability.

I also didn't think about the bb height too much, your comment certainly makes sense. I actually appreciate getting set straight a little bit, as hopefully it will make me choose a better ride. All I know is that the inbred just feels like a barge. Its scary in the air, does not want to manual, and just plows ahead like a battleship.

I've taken spins on some other hardtails recently that didn't have that feel, but had other issues I could not get over (steep headtubes, 29er, etc).

And you don't want to ride wheelies around while sitting on the saddle? Seems like it would be harder to impress the ladies with a standing manual, but i'll try!

mtbr member
    What is your current setup on the Inbred? Do you know the current BB height?

Here is another useful tool to help compare different frames. ETT and STA help tell you how a bike fits in the saddle, but Reach and Stack tell you a lot more about how a bike feels out of the saddle. It does have large elements of fit in there too.

There are definitely a lot of things that can be learned about your current setups and your preferences from writing down and comparing a bunch of measurements. Hopefully this helps you find what you're looking for!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Can't go wrong with Surly 1 x 1 set up!

mtbr member
    I'd say the Trans Am would be a good fit. The Santa Cruz Chameleon may be also.

I went a different route and had a friend of mine who builds custom frames (mostly DJ bikes) build me a 26" SS trail bike around a 140mm fork. I told him to build me a bmx for the forest. Its been awesome