Lookig for first steel frame. Less than $500- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Lookig for first steel frame. Less than $500

I am pretty set in getting the nickle 2013 soma juice but was wondering what other options there are. I can't afford custom and I would really like to keep it under 5. My lbs can get a juice and I can make payments through them which will make it easier to pay for and ill be able to get it faster. I'm pretty bad about saving. I don't like the surly km and the on one inbred. What other options in that price range are there? I also want to stay away from EBB.

TIA!

mtbr member
    My suggestions would be the KM or Inbred but you wrote those off already. Canfield has a nice steel frame but it is a little above your target price range.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What is canfields frame and how much is it? I'll still look into it.

mtbr member
    Under 5lbs, Steel, 29er, and under $500

Doesn't exist...the Juice doesn't meet the under 5lbs criteria either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Never said 5lbs. I said keep it under 5 meaning $500 then a new sentence began with "my lbs..." I see how that can be confusing. I'm on mobile so I was just being lazy. Sorry.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    You might be able to pick up a Kona Unit frame or a Redline Monocog Flight frame for that price as well.
    Neither uses an EBB.

On wuss patrol
    Canfield Nimble 9. Around $650. 5.5 lbs.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Origin8

Orignin 8 makes a steel single speed frame under $500, I think around $350 range. They havent gotten a big name yet but from what I have seen they have a good product. My 2 cents worth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    What is canfields frame and how much is it? I'll still look into it.
    Nimble 9.

Also worth looking into are Redline frames. Can't buy just frames from dealers I don't think but they pop up used from time to time. Regular Monocog has track ends. Monocog Flight has sliders. You can buy a complete brand new Monocog with disc brakes for under $600.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    Nimble 9.

Also worth looking into are Redline frames. Can't buy just frames from dealers I don't think but they pop up used from time to time. Regular Monocog has track ends. Monocog Flight has sliders. You can buy a complete brand new Monocog with disc brakes for under $600.
    Yep. I bought my '10 MC Flight on closeout for $550 as a complete bike. The regular MC is a little cheaper. The guy I bought my bike from had some of the regular MCs for $400 IIRC.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mango12 View Post
    Orignin 8 makes a steel single speed frame under $500, I think around $350 range. They havent gotten a big name yet but from what I have seen they have a good product. My 2 cents worth
    I got the Origin 8 Scout 29 frame and fork for $199 shipped. Large frame is 6 lbs even which is a tad heavy but not terrible (for example the Dawes Deadeye in large is 7 lbs, 10 oz ). The fork is a tank though, 3 lbs, 6 oz. I replaced it with a Surly KM fork and dropped almost a pound.

mtbr member
    Never said 5lbs. I said keep it under 5 meaning $500 then a new sentence began with "my lbs..." I see how that can be confusing. I'm on mobile so I was just being lazy. Sorry.
    OK, thanks for clearing up

How about a JabberWocky for $399...might even be a hair under 5lbs depending on the size

JabberWocky 29er Frame

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I do like the wocky frames a lot. I was looking at that. Right now in order of want I have

1. Soma juice
    2. Vassago wocky
    3. Salsa el mar although I haven't been able to find a price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    El Maricahi Frame.......

Google is your friend....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ah I missed that. Out of.my budget. Guess its down to soma or vassago. I'll check over geos and pick from there. Thanks for the help guys!

Feel free to post your thoughts on either frames. I've read a bunch on mtber reviews section too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Do you have all of the other parts you will be puting on the bike? If not then you can easily buy cheaper parts here and there that would allow your frame budget tto go up a tad....

Also, if you don't have the parts what about buying a prebuilt bike like the Civilian Luddite, steel, carbon fork, simple and sleek design, if I knew baout this before I bought my Monocog flight, I would have went with that....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have stuff to get it rideable but I was planning on pimping it out over the spring. Just want a sweet unique frame (within my budget) that I can hold onto for a while

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Got it... Another option is to browse ebay and craigslist nonstop for these frames and ones above your budget used... and you may be able to afforde a nice cutom powdercoat on the used frame. That would leave you with a nice frame with a one off color and it would be like brand new... I plan on getting my frame powdercoated in the spring when I will be training on my road bike more often.....

I constantly look at new frames but always come back to the fact that mine works great and I have no complaints... I only think it would be cool to have a couple different features. So I figure I will powdercoat my frame and get custom decals made and my 2009 frame will turn heads like it was new... If they can keep up with me to see them... lol

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Biased towards the Jabber and you can get a frameset with Odis fork and headset for $550. There's plenty of choices if you have patience and look used. I started on a used Monocog for $225, complete! The Bandersnatch, MC Flight, Nimble 9, El Mar are all intriguing to me as a backup bike to my Jabber. BTW, what size are you looking for?

Bro Mountainbiker
    Jabberwocky>juice.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

I really liked the Nimble 9. Short stays meant a pretty playful bike. It helped get the power down on climbs as well. The Kona Honzo has almost the same geo and is cheaper. Bike man has them for sale for almost right at $500. This would be my choice at that price point. Other bikes I've had, including the Jabberwocky, Salsa El Mariachi, and Inbred felt really long and I had to swing my weight back quite a bit to get the rear tire to bite. I could also wheelie a lot easier on the Nimble 9 as well.

Bikeman: Kona Honzo Frame

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Jabberwocky>juice.
    ^^^^ agreed
    12' Sir9 Rigid
    11' Jabber Rigid
    10 SJ SS rigid
    10' Swork SS 29er
    10' Tallboy
    08' RM Vertex SS

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenaustin View Post
    Biased towards the Jabber and you can get a frameset with Odis fork and headset for $550. There's plenty of choices if you have patience and look used. I started on a used Monocog for $225, complete! The Bandersnatch, MC Flight, Nimble 9, El Mar are all intriguing to me as a backup bike to my Jabber. BTW, what size are you looking for?
    Looking for 17"/18" but I won't be able to afford till end of January.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looking for 17"/18" but I won't be able to afford till end of January.
    Ah, ok, have a buddy that may be letting go of a new '12 El Mar in small. Would be around your price range. If you're 5' 9", it might be worth considering size wise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It is pretty hard to beat the ride quality, handling, and over-all geometry of a Kona Unit.

Complete bike is under 1K. Frame is definitely under $500.

Mine is dressed up really fancy, but frame wise it rides as well as lots of boutiques I have owned and tried.

Members who have read this thread: 0