Look at what you freaks have done to me- Mtbr.com
    I'm disrespectful to dirt

Wink Look at what you freaks have done to me

So I got back into riding mtb's a few months ago after a 5 year break. I picked up a Bontrager frame from aosty to get me started. When I was talking to him he mentioned the whole SS thing, but I blew it off, figuring it wasn't for me. Fast forward 3 months, and I've bought this:

Time to get it painted/powdercoated and scrounge up some parts!

Any issues with having the dropouts chromed? I like the chrome Columbus d.o.'s on my road bike, nice and durable.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Mmmmmmm Voooodoooooooo...........

Out spokin'

You talkin' ta ME?

Who you callin' a freak?

Nice frame. Are you open to advice about covering up the raw steel? I had my Vulture powdercoated but I won't have my next steel bike powdercoated -- I'll have it painted.

Powdercoat is like a plastic coating, very durable. Dut it doesn't adhere to the metal like steel does. If your bike is powdercoated and you get a nick in the finish (yeah, it happens), water can creep under the finish at the nick and get between the powdercoat and the metal. Then it rusts. Then the rust creeps.

Paint bonds to the metal better. Rust tends to not creep under paint. Personally, I believe that steel bikes ought to be painted.

One man's opinion.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

wow....

that looks pretty sweet shaun, what is the build going to be like??? you're gonna love ss'ing. did you decide on the powdercoater/painter??? what's gonna happen to the bonty frame???

also, didn't see ya today...have one too many beers last night???

cheers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun K
    So I got back into riding mtb's a few months ago after a 5 year break. I picked up a Bontrager frame from aosty to get me started. When I was talking to him he mentioned the whole SS thing, but I blew it off, figuring it wasn't for me. Fast forward 3 months, and I've bought this:

Time to get it painted/powdercoated and scrounge up some parts!

Any issues with having the dropouts chromed? I like the chrome Columbus d.o.'s on my road bike, nice and durable.

I'm disrespectful to dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    that looks pretty sweet shaun, what is the build going to be like??? you're gonna love ss'ing. did you decide on the powdercoater/painter??? what's gonna happen to the bonty frame???

also, didn't see ya today...have one too many beers last night???

cheers!!!
    Not sure what the build will be yet. Rigid for for sure (I ordered a Kona Project 2 fork today). I'll use a spare set of wheels for now with some spacers and a Kore 16t cog I have here. Still need to find a decent set of brakes and cranks though.

I'm tempted to strip some of the parts I need off the Bonty, but I think it will stay as-is.

I was thinking I'd talk to Olympic Powdercoat in Santa Ana and Spectrum in CO, but after reading Sparticus' post, I may reconsider. I'll do some more research before I decide.

Yeah, sorry about flaking this morning. I actually didn't drink since I was driving, but we didn't get home until 4am, so getting up at 6am to ride was just not gonna happen. My wife owes me for that one