long term trek 69er owners- opinions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

long term trek 69er owners- opinions?

Considering trading in my 29er ferrous to get hold of a trek ss 69er (and swapping out the forks and other kit) but only fear is how stiff it is at the back. Ridden a mates a few times and loved it but harsh at the back, not sure how id fare if it were my only mtb so looking for long term owners and their feelings, cheers

mtbr member

If you ever sell that ferrous....

Let me know please!!

Cheers

Kurt

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by fontmoss
    Considering trading in my 29er ferrous to get hold of a trek ss 69er (and swapping out the forks and other kit) but only fear is how stiff it is at the back. Ridden a mates a few times and loved it but harsh at the back, not sure how id fare if it were my only mtb so looking for long term owners and their feelings, cheers
    Have you thought of running your 29er as a 69er for a while? I'm sure the geometry would be different, but it might help you make up your mind.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    to be honest im not sold on the 69er concept rather its specifically the trek frame which has such a stiff bb area which i like, if i found a 29er ss with geometry that really worked for me i wouldnt look back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have the Trek 69er and while I love the 29er wheel up front the back is like a jack hammer! It is really harsh riding and as a result I am currently looking to build up a 29er on either steel or carbon stays in the back (Sir 9 or Selma). For your only ride I would probably go steel.

I do think the 69er concept is interesting, but the Trek 69er is a bit porky so I can't really speak to the acceleration abilities.

WNC Native
    frontmoss- I had a guy check one time and he said that you could run a 650b wheel and tire on the rear of the trek 69er frame. So that might be an idea for you.

I demoed a Trek 69er SS on one of our local "rooty" trails and hated that bike with a passion. The front would roll right through the rooty sections and the back was bouncing way out of control. I'll take the 29" rear over it anyday.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Kiss my Grits!

Harsh???

I have read other people before talking about the Trek 69'er being harsh and giving them back problems. I have owned my Trek 69'er for a couple of years and I love it. I don't attribute any back issues to the bike. As far as I am concerned it is great on downhills and uphills and it rails corners. The only negative is that it does not roll as fast as a full
    29'er.

It is a mean, sexy machine, but maybe not for everyone.
    Sometimes, with a very strenuous effort, I will fatigue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

I sold mine.

As I see it - this bike has one purpose - to win races .
    If you race it would be great - it's fast and has great technical ability.
    For me, it was simply too harsh for my everyday rides (I'm a weekened warrior actually and don't usually race) .

Did I catch a niner+?
    If the 26 is an issue in the rear can the bike fit a 650b?

pink

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    650b is too expensive an option for me at the moment but im considering selling the ferrous to get an old gf rig frame and a trek 69er frame, then id have the option of 29er if i do any long haul stuff like 24 hr races. maybe im compromising too much. ah well ill see

Members who have read this thread: 0