To lockout or not to lockout- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

To lockout or not to lockout

I have a Jericho SS frame built up with a Fox F100X fork. It has a Trail tune damping cartridge that I find to be a little soft, and am contemplating replacing the Terralogic cartridge with an RLC cartridge to acheive a complete lockout for climbs. I'm not totally disappointed with the X cartridge, but would like to hear other's thoughts about how useful a complete lockout mechanism might be.

full lockout's nice for the road, but i like to maintain a little damping on single/doubletrack climbs.

i like the DLO on my magura. enough damping to eat up smaller stuff on climbs, but you can't really make it bob when standing and hammering.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    i have an F80X....seemed a tad soft outta the box....then i blew it up racing...had it PUSH'd....HUGE difference.....HUGE!

Look into getting yours PUSH'd

edit:....i have never really used a complete lockout "correctly"....it's either 1) i forget to lock it out on the climb...or 2) I forget to unlock on the descent......ugh...
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It's a matter of preference. I don't use the lockout on my F29 RLC and it doesn't bob all that much. Maybe I'm just smooth and others bounce up and down while they are pedaling? Heck, I don't know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have an F29 RLC and always run with lockout engaged. I simply tuned the "lockout force" to the correct setting for my weight. When I climb there is no bob and when I descend the blowoff value opens up on big hits. Works perfectly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    My Trail tuned cartridge is just really soft, even when I have it turned to maximum threshold force, and I have this thought in my head that I'm wasting energy when I can see the fork compress a little when I stand to pedal. That is why I'm contemplating the straight out RLC cartridge, which I believe has a knob to adjust the blowout force. But, the RLC knob does require the rider to activate it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by penovich
    My Trail tuned cartridge is just really soft, even when I have it turned to maximum threshold force, and I have this thought in my head that I'm wasting energy when I can see the fork compress a little when I stand to pedal. That is why I'm contemplating the straight out RLC cartridge, which I believe has a knob to adjust the blowout force. But, the RLC knob does require the rider to activate it.
    I view it as acceptable compromise. I found out that the stock tuning of the MoCo damper on my Tora can handle out of saddle ss climbing without bobbing at any unacceptable level so i accepted that as a good trade off for not ever worrying about lockout status. Simplicity is one aspect of ss riding that I really enjoy and having a susp fork that never requires thought on the trail is part of that.

If you want to use a lockout and blowoff threshold to achieve a worry free ss setup, I would that is a compromise too as you are loosing small bump compliance below that threshold (unless I am misunderstanding something. I have not ridden such a setup myself). That's your choice to make for your riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0