lock ring tool for trail???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

lock ring tool for trail???

You guys who are prepared to swap cogs on the trail, what tools do you carry?

mtbr member
    How often would your change cogs mid-ride?

If you feel the need for more than one cog, just put two cogs on your hub. That's almost a dinglespeed.

It also depends on the hub you have. Some have a track-style lockring, which you could change with a Pedro's Trixie. No chain whip needed for that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Another option is the Gear Clamp GearClamp - Singlespeed Conversion Kit It requires a 2.5mm Allen wrench. I got a set for my SS to give it a shot, haven't ridden it yet though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    How often would your change cogs mid-ride?

If you feel the need for more than one cog, just put two cogs on your hub. That's almost a dinglespeed.

It also depends on the hub you have. Some have a track-style lockring, which you could change with a Pedro's Trixie. No chain whip needed for that.
    0-1 times per ride. For long rides, only when I tap out and need a bigger cog to get home. I realize different hubs require different tools. I have a Shimano-style free hub. I can get a lock ring with notches on the perimeter that the Trixie could grab onto.

That clamp looks cool. I might be worried about scarring up the exposed free hub.

Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    just put two cogs on your hub. space them so he chainline is dead-center between the two cogs. carrying tools and taking your lock ring off in the middle of the ride would be a waste of time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Stein mini cassette lockring removal tool...
    Stein Tools for Hubs, Cassettes and Freewheels
    @adamalphabet

Yeet so hard
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    just put two cogs on your hub. space them so he chainline is dead-center between the two cogs. carrying tools and taking your lock ring off in the middle of the ride would be a waste of time.

*obvious statement*

Make sure your chain/tensioner system is long enough to accommodate both...
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

EAT MORE GRIME
    dooooood

you need this. 2 speed, freewheel, kickshift

Sturmey-Archer | S2 Black

Gear 1 - 100% (Direct Drive)
    Gear 2 - 138% (Gear 1 + 38%)
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    dooooood

you need this. 2 speed, freewheel, kickshift

Sturmey-Archer | S2 Black

Gear 1 - 100% (Direct Drive)
    Gear 2 - 138% (Gear 1 + 38%)
    Sold!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I'd consider a Problem Solvers 6 bolt cog carrier. I've always been a bit dubious about the quality of their stuff but after getting their Zinger XD driver adapter, I was completely blown away at the quality of the product.

Their 6 bolt would allow using their relatively cheap stamped cogs and would allow swapping without removing the lockring (just undo the 6 bolts).

mtbr member
    If you want just a small change, you can probably use one chainring and two cogs. If you want two drastically different gears, look into a dinglespeed setup.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by babybabe View Post
    You guys who are prepared to swap cogs on the trail, what tools do you carry?
    A derailer

Downcountry AF
    Umm it's a singlespeed, you should just plan on being in the wrong gear most of the time and grunt it out like the rest of us.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Squirrel View Post
    A derailer
    Bwahahaha

Don't go and derail the topic!

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by babybabe View Post
    0-1 times per ride. For long rides, only when I tap out and need a bigger cog to get home. I realize different hubs require different tools. I have a Shimano-style free hub. I can get a lock ring with notches on the perimeter that the Trixie could grab onto.

That clamp looks cool. I might be worried about scarring up the exposed free hub.

Thanks for the input!
    How long of a ride are we talking about?

I know I regularly do rides in the 60-90(8-10k') mile range, and have never thought about changing the cog for the ride home.

It is part of riding the SS....you make a compromise your your gearing. Either make it too hard to climb, and have some top end later....or make it easier to climb, but spin on the flats later.

For me and long rides....I generally gear my bike for later in the ride, which means I'll spin more early on, so I have some legs left at the end.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    How long of a ride are we talking about?

I know I regularly do rides in the 60-90(8-10k') mile range, and have never thought about changing the cog for the ride home.

It is part of riding the SS....you make a compromise your your gearing. Either make it too hard to climb, and have some top end later....or make it easier to climb, but spin on the flats later.

For me and long rides....I generally gear my bike for later in the ride, which means I'll spin more early on, so I have some legs left at the end.
    Thanks for the great advice. I figured the vast majority does not carry an emergency gear but was curious about what those that do use to swap the gears. In terms of distance, "long" rides of 50-60 miles to start, which is 4-6 hours for me around here, depending. At the time of the original post, I had zero SS mtb rides under my belt but plenty of geared rides (especially on the road) where I was tapped before the end of the ride. But after one SS ride most of my apprehensions have faded. Thanks for the thoughts and the suggestions! (Especially "derailleur"... )

mtbr member
    The only issue related to this that I've ever had was cramps so bad that I physically couldn't pedal up hill anymore. In those cases though, a slightly larger cog wouldn't have made a big enough difference.