Lock out???- Mtbr.com

Thread: Lock out???

mtbr member

Lock out???

How many of you SSer's running a suspension fork utilize a remote lock out???

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by rsb201 View Post
    How many of you SSer's running a suspension fork utilize a remote lock out???
    At the risk of getting flamed by the rigid fork/big fatty tyre up front purists, having a susp fork with handle bar remote lockout is the only way to go SS.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I ride a pike. No lockout but I set compression to stiff for extended climbing, medium for general riding, and open for schredding. Hakuna matata.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    At the risk of getting flamed by the rigid fork/big fatty tyre up front purists, having a susp fork with handle bar remote lockout is the only way to go SS.
    I was debating on even asking for that very reason

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I've got a Milo bar mount remote for my Manitou Magnum's but it doesn't let it open enough for my liking.
    Using the fork-top dial now.
    Locked, 1 back, 4 back, fully open.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrtrash View Post
    I ride a pike. No lockout but I set compression to stiff for extended climbing, medium for general riding, and open for schredding. Hakuna matata.
    Same here Pike works great SS.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    flaming rigid purist here...

a wise green man once said "only sith lords deal in absolutes"

rigid is better, there are only a few scenario's where i would ever be able to justify putting on a sus fork, and it hasn't happened yet. i have a brand new Reba sitting in a box unused. the reason is that it would ruin the ride/experience. ads weight, is less efficient, and less fun. my $.02

having said that, different strokes for different folks. ride what makes you happy.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

WillWorkForTrail
    Yes. Manitou Marvel Comp (120mm for all that rowdiness) with a Milo. It's been mentioned (post #5 in this thread) that the Milo doesn't allow a fork to open all the way up on the low speed side. I've found with a little tinkering it opens about 100 degrees of rotation (this may or may not mean anything if you haven't messed with the dial on a Manitou fork) and closes to a complete low speed lock. I've found that to be enough because the low speed is SO plush on this fork, but even at a low speed lock, it will still open for highspeed hits, so it can take the edge off the trail hammering up a climb without bobbing all over the place like it would if left open.

The other side of this is that I rode my SS rigid for several years as well. There's no doubt it made me a better rider, but I'm getting older, and started to "feel" my rides on the rigid bike a bit more. Switching to a suspension fork helped, it also made me faster on downhills. I'm one of the fastest people in my group on certain sections of trail just because I use my brakes less than guys on FS bikes.

mtbr member
    Nordie boy and cotharyus..... I to run a milo on my manitou tower expert (80mm) but just can't seem to get the feel just right. I posted another thread on the suspension forum trying to get some direction on what to try. I removed the milo last night and I am going to try and start from scratch with the setup and ride it for awhile with just using the dial. I have been messing with thing for awhile now trying to get a good balance. I have to run run it so soft it is blowing through the travel and have some serious brake dive. To be continued. Thanks for all the input.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Running a remote l/o on my Reba RL when I'm not running rigid. It works relatively well but I can feel 5-10mm of bobbing when I'm cranking uphill but 1000x better with that amount of lockout as opposed to wide open.

A few months ago I converted the Reba to the upgraded RCT3 damper and rebound (but losing the remote lockout) from a SID and I liked the "climb" mode where it was essentially a lockout with a medium-large hit threshold release. It was a bit harsh on some small-medium hits as it was essentially locked out and I was expecting a bit of travel but there was none. "Descend" mode was AMAZING but climbing was impossible as I would easily blow through nearly all 100mm of my travel when standing. I quickly became tired of switching between climb and descend and with the rolling terrain I ride it's near impossible to reach down to the crown to flip the lever every few minutes so it's back to the RL damper and remote lockout.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by njSS View Post
    Running a remote l/o on my Reba RL when I'm not running rigid. It works relatively well but I can feel 5-10mm of bobbing when I'm cranking uphill but 1000x better with that amount of lockout as opposed to wide open.

A few months ago I converted the Reba to the upgraded RCT3 damper and rebound (but losing the remote lockout) from a SID and I liked the "climb" mode where it was essentially a lockout with a medium-large hit threshold release. It was a bit harsh on some small-medium hits as it was essentially locked out and I was expecting a bit of travel but there was none. "Descend" mode was AMAZING but climbing was impossible as I would easily blow through nearly all 100mm of my travel when standing. I quickly became tired of switching between climb and descend and with the rolling terrain I ride it's near impossible to reach down to the crown to flip the lever every few minutes so it's back to the RL damper and remote lockout.
    That's what I am afraid of, reaching down every 5 minutes. I am riding tomorrow so we will,see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    After seeing the light of rigid....I won't be riding with a suspension fork on the front of my SS any time soon.

That said, if I did, there's no way I would do it without a remote lockout.

My squishy bike desperately needs one. I'm not skilled enough to hit the crown lockout every time I need it....so I compensate by running the fork pretty stiff all the time. But on that bike I'd really like to use the travel when I need it.

western NC
    I tried really hard to get used to rigid last year, but the shoulder I had put back together in '09 wasn't having it, at all. Suspension fork with remote lockout is where it's at for me on my B side. Although my SS fatty is still rigid, but there's just enough give in the tire to take the edge off. I like having both, and both are a lot of fun to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Surprised the Fox Terralogic hasn't been mentioned yet.

I'm a big rigid guy, but after feeling beat up after a late fall ride last year, I decided to put my lightly used Terra on for this season.

I've never tried a remote lockout but the Fox works beautifully. I ride Northeast trails with lots of punchy climbs. I can't imagine having to constantly use a lockout as I feel it would severely impact the purity of SS. I run mine on the stiff side so it feels mostly like a rigid but able to take bigger hits. Sometimes in smaller chop it feels like the fork doesn't engage however it manages to take the sting out. I can't watch it during riding but effectively it keeps enough of that rigid feeling while somehow giving just enough. I think I'd rather have it that way instead of opening too much and changing the geo in choppy turns etc. I haven't tried much of the "lighter" settings but when I did it didn't feel like the fork opened up much easier. At least not until I got to the easiest settings at which point it started to bob on climbs. So eventually I just ran it in the top 25% of the range. There it feels mostly like a rigid....virtually no bob on climbs, takes the sting out on smaller chop while still feeling close to a rigid, soaks up big hits, and does it all automatically.

IMO the only choice for SS if you have frequent ups and downs on your trails. Maybe with longer climbs and descents a lever would be ok.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

have remote one on handlebar, but only really use it when i'm on the road.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I am currently running a Reba and have also used Fox forks and never felt the need to lockout the fork at all. I'd like to see how all the people that complain about fork bobbing while climbing standing actually ride. Are you rocking forward and back? What's going on there amigos? Because it just really isn't an issue for me at all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I just swapped a 2016 Fox 32 onto my Superfly SS so I could keep riding it after an unrelated wrist sprain. The remote lockout is stellar. Not sure I'll be able to convince myself to put the rigid back on.

mtbr member
    Well.... Took it for a ride today and all I can say is thanks for all the input. Fork performed much better with the recommended settings. I just wish the milo would allow you to full open to locked out. It soaks up everything much better. I ended up setting the dampner a few clicks from open to get the best ride. I still get to much action up front during climbs. I locked it out for the long, extended climbs. I just hope I can get used to doing it manually. Anyone know of any upgrades or mods that can be done to the MILO to allow it to operate fully open to fully closed??

WillWorkForTrail
    Yes. Reinstall the milo unit on the fork, but don't use the bar mounted push-thing that comes with it. Instead, use an old school friction shifter. Something like:

Microshift 10-SPEED MTN Thumb Shifters > Components > Drivetrain > Shifters | Jenson USA

(that's just the first thing I found - due to the simplicity of this hack, you can probably find a $5 part on amazon that will work too) - that will allow you to get quite a lot of cable pull out of the shifter, and "infinite adjustment" as well. It will hold wherever you put it.

mtbr member
    Interesting.............thanks Cotharyus

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I hooked my Milo up to an X0 9 speed shifter.
    Could only use about 4 "gears" as the spring in the Milo top cap wasn't strong enough to overcome the cable friction.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Just hooked the Milo top cap up to an XT 10spd shifter.
    The shifter gets about 37mm of cable pull, same as a 9 speed and slightly more than a RockShox poplock at about 17mm.
    It goes from locked out to about 135 and fully open is actually about 270

Locked out.

As open as it can get with 37mm of cable pull.

I'll have to have a look at the shock dyno curve to see where it's ending up.

WillWorkForTrail
    Keep the info coming. This is one of those things I "know will work better" but I've never actually tried it. I know where to put my hands on some old school friction shifters for free, and was going to wait til I could do that. I've had reliability issues with the Milo handlebar control thing anyhow. At least you're getting a good deal more rotation than you were with the stock control unit from the Milo, yes?

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Probably more rotation. I've never had the Milo bar mount lever.

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    I am currently running a Reba and have also used Fox forks and never felt the need to lockout the fork at all. I'd like to see how all the people that complain about fork bobbing while climbing standing actually ride. Are you rocking forward and back? What's going on there amigos? Because it just really isn't an issue for me at all.
    More up and down than forward and back (as preached on bikesjames.com). I've always used a TON of body motion (i.e. gravity) to turn the cranks on a SS. The undulating up and down motion compresses a suspended fork, thereby absorbing some of the force (and traction?) that would otherwise end up driving the rear wheel. So climbing becomes less efficient. I'm guessing that people who don't see it as significant are using a more aggressive (low bars) position and therefore are depending more on leg strength than gravity for climbs. Just a guess.

On my rigid SS, I feel like Superman when climbing. On my suspended SS, I have a remote lockout -- I feel good climbing, but the bobbing (which on my Reba looks like almost an inch even while remaining "locked") is annoying to me (and the extra 3 pounds doesn't make me giddy either!). Climbing fully open is definitely annoying (if I had a geared hard tail, I'd sit for lots of climbs).

Nothing climbs like a rigid SS. And a rigid SS involves the rider in a more "direct" way than any other bike (no gears or squish to aid you). But...climbing on a suspended SS with a lockout is still pretty fun, and the descents are way more fun. By that calculus, you could say suspended SS is better than rigid SS -- but you can't quantify this stuff IMO. I really wouldn't want to choose. I keep going back and forth. But if I had geared full squish, I'd probably just retain a rigid SS as my second bike.
    Last edited by Ryder1; 11-03-2015 at 10:29 AM.

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    Surprised the Fox Terralogic hasn't been mentioned yet.
    I have a 2011 Reba XX with remote lockout (found a bargain), but if I had to do it again, I'd try the Terralogic. My Reba's lockout has had maintenance issues, and it bobs more than I thought it would in lockout mode. I'm actually starting to run it most of the time locked out, and let it naturally open when it hits bigger stuff. I believe this is actually a not uncommon "race" setting for XC racers who have this fork. It's a wanna-be-Terralogic setting.

I've recently been tempted to pick up a '15 Terralogic (they're on sale) and stick in the closet. I don't think Fox is making it for '16, but am not sure.

Can you compare how much the Terralogic bobs in "non-open" [locked] mode compared to other "locked out" forks? I've read its better than most (Float/Reba).

mtbr member
    I scrapped an old school 90's bike that had the shifters your referring to about a year ago. Would have worked perfect to test it out. I will keep an eye out, I'm sure I can find one. I'm anxious to try it. Thanks all. If anyone tries it first, do tell.

mtbr member
    I have an xfusion velvet and I use my remote lockout all the time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm using a 2014 Sid XX with the hydraulic xloc lockout. It works great and takes a split second to lock the fork for a climb. It moves maybe a .25" under heavy pressure - not enough to matter. I keep the floodgate adjustment set pretty light so that it'll blow off if I hit any chunder.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    It depends on where I ride. Some of my rides are at places that are so chunky that I never use the lockout. I'm riding with an SID though, which is already pretty stiff.

mtbr member
    I use an X-Fusion Slide set at 120mm on my Verhauen. Maybe it is my technique or setup, but I rarely lock it out and bob only about .25-.5 inches while climbing. My terrain is almost all rocky, and in my opinion locking out over bumps and roots robs momentum as the fork will soak up a bit of the hit (yes robbing some energy) but does not push the momentum back at you or down the trail.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Also, 2 inch lbs is about 0.04 kg/mm!
    20 kg/mm is 1,120 lb/in!
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Last edited by NordieBoy; 11-02-2015 at 07:51 PM.