Local LBS just ordered one of these......- Mtbr.com
    I CAME I SAW I CONQUERED

Local LBS just ordered one of these......

and I just wanted to get some of your expert opinions on it.
    My bud at the LBS says he thinks it's an SS instead of
    fixed, I'll see soon.

https://www.specialized.com/SBCBkMod...w7msp7c.j27004

Thanks and good day to all -V V V .

"As a rule, men worry more about what they can't see than about what they can."
    -- Julius Caesar

34N 118W
    flip-flop fixie or free (nm)

"Mr. Britannica"

fixed

That's the whole appeal (that and price). Remember, all FGs are SS, but not all SSs are FG. If HW is right and it comes with a flip flop you can do both; might be the case since it comes with both brakes (or maybe that is why LBS think it's SS). These are supposed to be hard to come by, like already sold out.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    That's the whole appeal (that and price). Remember, all FGs are SS, but not all SSs are FG. If HW is right and it comes with a flip flop you can do both; might be the case since it comes with both brakes (or maybe that is why LBS think it's SS). These are supposed to be hard to come by, like already sold out.
    A guy in Portland asked how to put a fixed gear on his. Said it came with a FW.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

"Mr. Britannica"

Ok

but if he gotta ask, maybe he shouldn't.... that first ride could be disastrous.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    but if he gotta ask, maybe he shouldn't.... that first ride could be disastrous.
    He bought it for track racing.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

"Mr. Britannica"

even worse?

Track racers often change cogs several times a night. And he will have to lose both brakes. Yikes.

jrm
    mtbr member

Flip flop free or just free

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    flip-flop fixie or free (nm)
    I think that to offer a out of the box fixie presents to much of a liability to the manufacturer.

34N 118W

2 models...

there's 2 Langsters; a full-on track version and a "sport" model w/ f&r brakes and a flip-flop rear hub. Both alu frames. One LBS wrench ordered one but no EP deal from Specy so he canceled.

RBR fixie thread:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=607

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I am one of the lucky few.....

To have one of those bikes. First, it has a freewheel on it, second, the other side is indeed set up for a fixed gear. (lockring is already on it!) Third, I was told it might be almost impossible to get. (Mine was a pre-order last fall) It rides really sweet for a bike that cheap. $440.00, retail I think.

minister of chaos
    Quote Originally Posted by gearless
    To have one of those bikes. First, it has a freewheel on it, second, the other side is indeed set up for a fixed gear. (lockring is already on it!) Third, I was told it might be almost impossible to get. (Mine was a pre-order last fall) It rides really sweet for a bike that cheap. $440.00, retail I think.
    I talked to our rep last fall about it. Basically, what he said is that a lot of reps asked Spec for a fixie. People love them and all that. The project manager didn't want to, but gave in since so many were asking. He still didn't believe that people wanted to ride a fixed on the road, so he ordered up a very limited run and spec'ed it with a freewheel and brakes because that's how most people will end up riding them anyway.

I'm sure they learned at least one lesson, and will make more next year. I'd be surprised if it didn't have a freewheel still, though.
    Frank Tuesday
    minister of chaos
    franktuesday.blogspot.com

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    sounds about right. i think the PM types will be surprised. most people who buy it are going to want it fixed, i'd be willing to bet. smartest would be selling it with both brakes, one fixed cog, and a freewheel. say in a 42x16/18 fixed/free "average" setup. the buyer can then go from there....... or go supa' cheap and sell it just fixed, front brake only. even no brake.

still, it's better than their SS mtb offering this year. vert drops and a tensioner? c'mon......weak.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

"Mr. Britannica"

they've already kinda blown it IMO

By not making enough, they couldn't satify the market.... something that Trek and Cannondale (maybe Kona?) will be glad to help out with next year.... if they so choose. Spec just did all the market research for the other cos. But WTF do I know.........

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Called my Specialized dealer Friday afternoon, told him I wanted a 62cm Langster and my girlfriend wanted a 54cm Allez sport in the Carbon color like the Langster. It was close to closing time so he told me to call him back Saturday (yesterday) and he'd let me know for sure if he got them on their way and give me an estimated time of arrival. Sure enough called back yesterday afternoon and my Langster is en route! Oh, and so is her Allez. I dunno, maybe I just got lucky and they had some extra of the big'uns. I was pleasantly surprised. So I should be picking it up this coming Thursday or Friday, I'll post pics and my opinions on it when I get it.

P.S. Hollywood is right, fixed/free flip-flop hub, free 48/16 out of the box though.