A little OT... Race Report [o]- Mtbr.com
    One gear to rule them all

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! A little OT... Race Report [o]

Mrs. 32seventeen, who rides and races SS mnt bikes, wanted to see how she would do at another form of racing. She did her first triatholon on Fathers day, as training for an X terra triatholon in July. I posted the race report on RBR, with little interest. If you want to check out how she did....go here....lots o pics
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=33950
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nice report :-)

Sweet - congratulate her on the win... I did a triathlon the year I got my first mountain bike, back in 1993! Amusingly, I had a better section for the run as I was doing more of that back then and everyone else was on road bikes, I didn't even have slicks! I also really wanted to try one of the Xterra offroad triathlons. There was one about 75 miles from where I am now that ran for about 3 years, and then the year I moved here and actually started more running and swimming again it was cancelled and hasn't run since :-( A real shame, as the bike section was on some great trails, and apparently was the best portion of the race to make time (it was very long proportionately even to normal triathlons) and I was hoping for a good result.

Ah well, wish your Mrs good luck for the Xterra, and make sure you get some good photos of that - you will be ensuring she's on a SS right?!

ian

paintbucket
    That second shot of her actually on the bike is great. Definitely looks like she's hauling butt. And a win too! W00t!

Edit: Curiosity overwhelms me. What's a zigzag swim?
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Quote Originally Posted by SSBonty
    Ah well, wish your Mrs good luck for the Xterra, and make sure you get some good photos of that - you will be ensuring she's on a SS right?!

ian
    I be truthful, I am not sure if she will be on a SS. We will pre-ride the course first. She is going for another win, so...we don't want to handicap her. If the course is hilly enough, she will be on the SS, but if it's flat, I may rig up a 1x9 set up for her.

try driving your car less
    great job!
    we did our first tri last year. my wife was like 6 months pregnant and still beat some people, she walked the run.
    they cancelled it this year (nieghbors complained of noise?), so we are holding one at our house for our friends, since we live on a lake.

the tri was way more fun than i thought it would be. there were the usual tri-geek types with no bodyfat spraying pam on their bodies with these crazy sounding carbon disc wheelsets. but there were plenty of 'regular' people, too.

she should try foregoing the socks next time. saves a little time.

where does one find out about the offroad triathlons?
    Only boring people get bored.

Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Curiosity overwhelms me. What's a zigzag swim?
    The faster swimmers sign up for a "wave", which is a group of swimmers that each get a half a lane to do there laps, complete with a counter to make sure they swim the correct number of laps. The catch is...you must complete your laps in a given amount of time, or you pulled from the race.
    If you can not/ or are unsure if you can swim the distance in the set amount of time you must swim in the the "zig-zag". In the "zig-zag" swim they line up the swimmers from slowest estimated swim time to fastest. Then they start them in 30 second intervals. You start in lane one, do one lap, the go under the lane divider to lane two, do one lap, and so on, until you are at the other end of the pool. That's the zig-zag.
    The problem my wife had, was that she caught the swimmer, 30 seconds ahead in less than two laps and could not pass. She ended up waiting, and doggy paddling behind the slower swimmer. She should have been more aggressive and fought her way past, but she was too polite and ended up losing 2 or 3 minutes in the swim.
    Looking back at the event, she could have easily completed the wave under the time limit, and then she would not have had to worry about slower swimmers. Live and Learn
    I hope that made sense
    Last edited by 32seventeen; 06-23-2005 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    great job!

she should try foregoing the socks next time. saves a little time.

where does one find out about the offroad triathlons?
    Thanks,

She insisted on socks, what's 10 seconds anyway?

We found it here..... http://www.active.com/