A little help from the experts...- Mtbr.com
    Tonic Fall Guy
    Oct 2009

A little help from the experts...

Ok, I'm trying to do a pretty simple build and learn a few things about bikes. I figured I'd jump right in and learn through force and ignorance (as I've done in the past -- relationships, computers, etc). Before I try to get going I'd like to know if there are any major compatibility problems with my project. All I want to do is take all the components from my 2007 Bianchi SASS and throw them on an '05/06 Santa Cruz Chameleon. The SC already has a headset and fork. This is mostly for the crank. The SASS is stock. I know this is a pretty vague Q (and pretty lay), but, again, I'm trying to learn more and this felt like a pretty basic winter project. Thanks for reading

Out spokin'
    I have neither of those bikes but it seems like the main issues would be dimensional disparities for things like seatpost, etc. Assuming your dropouts are standard 9mm QR. Check your bottom bracket for compatibility. And the mentioned seatpost OD. You might need a new stem &/or handlebar if TT length &/or HT dimensions vary much from one bike to the other.

Good luck.

-Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I went from a SASS to a '05 Chameleon. Just as Sparticus stated seatpost will not transfer over. The bottom bracket will need to be changed to a wider model because the chainstays are wider if I remember correctly. As long as the fork and wheel are compatible QR 15mm or 20mm that will work. If the rear wheel is QR you will need to use tensioners to keep rear wheel from slipping in the dropouts. I used bolt on rear hub and had no slippage without tensioners. Chain may or may not be long enough. Stem and bars will work but you may or may not like the fit depending on how you like your setup.

The Chameleon is very nice frame. Alot stiffer than the SASS. I used a Fox Float set to 110mm travel and then a Talas 90-130mm. I rode mine for 2 years and then sold it to a friend who beats the heck out of it.

Members who have read this thread: 0