Little help with cleaning my ti frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Little help with cleaning my ti frame

Hi all im new on this singlespeed forum but have been poping on for quit a while now. My question is this. Ive just won a onone ti inbred frame on ebay got it all a ok but before i build it up i thought i would try to get it lucking nice and spanky now ive heard that you can use wire wool on bear TI if so how?. And with what oil ore just the wire any way any help with this would be great thanks bat.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I've heard using 3M scotch-brite pads is one way to clean your bike of scuffs etc. You want to go around the tube, and not along the tube with the pads. There are also many other ways that people have found to clean Ti. Good luck and let us know how your cleaning goes!

And PICS please!

ogarajef@luther.edu
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303
    I've heard using 3M scotch-brite pads is one way to clean your bike of scuffs etc. You want to go around the tube, and not along the tube with the pads. There are also many other ways that people have found to clean Ti. Good luck and let us know how your cleaning goes!

And PICS please!
    That is correct. Also make sure you are using the maroon colored scotch brite pads (I can't recall the number off hand), some of the other colors are too coarse.
    "RIDE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT"

That's gonna leave a mark
    I've also heard you want to go around the tubes rather than along the length. I've also heard you should use soapy water while using the scotch brite pad.

Thanks for the tip on the maroon colored ones!

Quote Originally Posted by 1strongone1
    That is correct. Also make sure you are using the maroon colored scotch brite pads (I can't recall the number off hand), some of the other colors are too coarse.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

Sweep the leg!
    On my Seven Axiom (Ti) I don't spend much time detailing the frame. Once a few years ago the factory decals started flaking off. Rather than have it look like sh!t I removed the decals with Acetone, aka fingernail polish remover. Then, to make the tubes uniform in level of polish I took a green scotchbrite pad and rubbed the tubes in very random directions, with small figure-8's getting the best results as they overlap well at welds. As for cleaning Ti, it oxidizes (rusts) pretty slowly so it stays a nice grey for a while and you almost can't perceive it getting dull. Liquids that clean well are soap and water with rubbing alcohol to remove the film. Then just treat it as you would any other bike. Clean and lubricate as needed.

If you want to polish it to a mirror finish, you're looking at a lot of elbow grease or using buffer wheels, pads and metal polish. I've not polished a Ti bike but from what Litespeed has told me in the past it is relatively labor intensive.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    A number of years ago I had a friend finishing frames at Merlin. She said that they were using Pledge along with (fine steel wool/ScotchBrite) to polish them up.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Thanks to all

Just like to say thanks to all, looks like pledge and wirewool for me then this weekend.
    Will look in and alet you know how i go. Did try the sex wax idea just very sticky and very hard to rud of probably good for a new Ti frame though did leave a shine on it but im trying to get some scuffs and suff out so rub rub rub for me bat.

Members who have read this thread: 0