A little experment to share!- Mtbr.com
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

A little experment to share!

After riding 29er Rigid Steel SS for many years, this Tuesday night on my local trails I got a chance tonight to bring my Ol'School Redline 26er Monocogger with 39/18 gearing. Yes, 63 inches of gear and no walking, but lots of hard breathing... LOL

To me like riding a 500cc Moto, big gears, squirrey handling, out over the front, carry the weigh on the front end qualities of a rigid 26er singlespeed. Just dial up a bunch of pedals standing and yanking and your off into an outta conrtol wheel slide with the front end dancing! Wouldn't have it any other way.

Like I said last week at the HCGA ride: "I'm Bored" So, I can now say riding the 29er is boring compared to this rocket. Everything the 29er does correct this does by a set of it's own rules. OK, so I'm rambling about my first love singlespeeder from 2005, Hey she's not that old ya know, and has more moves than any 29er I have ever rode!

Some note worthy comments in comparison, but not deemed bad or good either way, just different.

You can't stand and ride the front like a 29er, cause the 26er wheel will digs into rocks and stops your momentum!

Getting going up to speed "IS" quicker on the 26er! Of course turning is whippy to say the least.

I will in the near future run my Redline Rigid Steel SS 29er with similar gears that equal 63 inches of gear and give that a try. I suspect the 29er will really roll once it gets up to speed, but think it will be a hand full to negotiate the trails like the 26er does at speed, but time will tell, just insights!

Thanks for viewing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A little experment to share!-mlptuesnr-5-22-12-001_900x900.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nothing wrong with a nice light 26er. My 32x20 sub 18lb uphill ti guy. A little experment to share!-0526121250a.jpg
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member
    Ancient Rascal, can I ask what fork you have on that bike? I'm looking for a rigid fork (light!) to put on my Ti SS during winter and maybe for short races. I'm using a 120mm fork right now but I don't know what the A to C distance is.... I don't want something that's steep...

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydrz View Post
    Ancient Rascal, can I ask what fork you have on that bike? I'm looking for a rigid fork (light!) to put on my Ti SS during winter and maybe for short races. I'm using a 120mm fork right now but I don't know what the A to C distance is.... I don't want something that's steep...

Thanks
    I think it's a 2008 or 09 white bros. rock solid carbon fork I got on sale. 16 1/4 inches to the center of the skewer. It does make the bike ride a bit high in the front.A little experment to share!-0528121016.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I currently ride an On-One Inbred 29'er SS, but I have owned several 26" single speeds. It is such a sad notion to think that this genre of mountain bikes are going the way of the dodo, even though there is absolutely nothing wrong with them - they are fun and can whip around like a BMX bike (and this is coming from someone who was a sponsored BMX team rider in my younger years).

A couple of months ago I went searching for a steel, SS specific frame with track dropouts and maybe a handful of them came up - again, On-One takes the cake. I've been riding conversions since I sold my Monocog in 2006 and I wish I never sold it.

I understand the 29'er SS intrigue (I've been riding mine since 2009), but really there's nothing like muscling a 26" rigid SS. On certain trails, it's like handling a wild horse. Once you take control, it's totally enjoyable... too bad manufactures don't see that nor market that aspect of it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Out of curiosity who where you sponsored by, where did you race, etc.?

Former BMXer myself....

The need for singlespeed
    Nice bike Nepmtba; glad it's getting some love!

mtbr member
    Thanks Ancient Rascal, it might be exactly what I'm looking for. How's the ride? Is it too stiff?

Johnnydrz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydrz View Post
    Thanks Ancient Rascal, it might be exactly what I'm looking for. How's the ride? Is it too stiff?

Johnnydrz
    I think the front tire and running low air will have more to do with the stiffness/feel. Only have the w. bros. fork so I'm not the guy to ask on fork questions. 2.2 high volume or larger tires will prolly be the ticket. The high volume race king I show has been pretty good and only weighs 468 grams. It is the supersonic and has worn very well as a front tire.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    Out of curiosity who where you sponsored by, where did you race, etc.?

Former BMXer myself....
    No racing for me. This is from 1989.