A little disappointed with my 1st race- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1
    A plain old rider
    Reputation: The Tree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    50

    A little disappointed with my 1st race

    I'm not disappointed with how I finished, which was close to if not dead last. I am sure there were others who did not finish. The disappointment comes from some of the other riders.

    As we are waiting to move to the starting line to stage, only one person was talking and everyone else was just giving him the cold shoulder (I would have had to holler at him to carry on a conversation, he was too far away). I was racing beginner senior men, and from the time the race started I could tell there was something that just wasn't right. I was running a 33:17 combination which turned out to be a little strong for the race. That was totally my fault on that one. Shortly after entering the woods there was a terribly steep climb that lasted for a little less than a mile. I had to bail off and walk; I let everyone that needed to pass me to pass. A good portion of the riders in my class said nothing as they passed, but the ones toward the end all had words of encouragement for me. So ride the downhill no problem I get to a switch back that goes uphill and I stand to make the turn and some jerk tries to pass me in the switch back, and he says, "I weigh 200lbs you need to get out of my way." I should have let it go, but I said, "why didn't you pass me on the downhill, I only have one gear?"

    So at this point I'm not angry, but saddened by the guys attitude. It made me think about many of the people in the class I was racing in (mainly the one who did not speak or say something when they passed), there are a lot of sandbaggers in the beginner class that make it difficult for people who have never raced to feel good about racing.

    I love to ride and I enjoyed the words of encouragement that I did get, but I was disappointed by the lack of camaraderie and fellowship at the race.
    The greatest gift you ever give is your honest self.

    Fred Rogers

  2. #2
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,157

    What a Kook....

    "I weigh 200lbs you need to get out of my way." You did better then i would have..i would started busting up. So what race was this?
    Last edited by jrm; 06-20-2004 at 03:43 PM. Reason: ................

  3. #3
    A plain old rider
    Reputation: The Tree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    50

    Early Harvest Race

    It was the Early harvest race, part of a series here in Georgia. As far as I know I was the only one beside one of the experts riding a single speed.
    The greatest gift you ever give is your honest self.

    Fred Rogers

  4. #4
    Seaside stand up!
    Reputation: djkellycx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    125

    It is what it is..

    Quote Originally Posted by The Tree
    I'm not disappointed with how I finished, which was close to if not dead last. I am sure there were others who did not finish. The disappointment comes from some of the other riders.

    As we are waiting to move to the starting line to stage, only one person was talking and everyone else was just giving him the cold shoulder (I would have had to holler at him to carry on a conversation, he was too far away). I was racing beginner senior men, and from the time the race started I could tell there was something that just wasn't right. I was running a 33:17 combination which turned out to be a little strong for the race. That was totally my fault on that one. Shortly after entering the woods there was a terribly steep climb that lasted for a little less than a mile. I had to bail off and walk; I let everyone that needed to pass me to pass. A good portion of the riders in my class said nothing as they passed, but the ones toward the end all had words of encouragement for me. So ride the downhill no problem I get to a switch back that goes uphill and I stand to make the turn and some jerk tries to pass me in the switch back, and he says, "I weigh 200lbs you need to get out of my way." I should have let it go, but I said, "why didn't you pass me on the downhill, I only have one gear?"

    So at this point I'm not angry, but saddened by the guys attitude. It made me think about many of the people in the class I was racing in (mainly the one who did not speak or say something when they passed), there are a lot of sandbaggers in the beginner class that make it difficult for people who have never raced to feel good about racing.

    I love to ride and I enjoyed the words of encouragement that I did get, but I was disappointed by the lack of camaraderie and fellowship at the race.
    Take something positive out of your performance if you can. The other racers aren't there to offer anything, just to compete. Anything else is gravy. the 200lb guy sounds like a jerk but maybe you were so out of it and discouraged that you let him get to you. I've been there. When you are in last place you tend to think about everything except racing, and not alot is positive. Good luck in your next race, and remember if it gets too quiet at the starting line next time, fart..
    antonio

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    113

    thats a shame

    I am looking to get into racing myself and its a shame to hear what happened at your race. One of the reasons i got into mountain biking is the quality of people that ride. always happy to see each other out on the trails. Sorry to hear about your first race, hopefully your next one is better.

    B.L.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Billy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    154

    I don't race anymore...

    mostly for the reasons you have lined out. I also found that racing took the fun out of the sport for me. Now, I ride when I can and I ride hard when I feel like it. I do participate in the annual Hurkey Creek 24 hr race here in SoCal and enjoy that very much mostly because it is a team effort with camradrie. During my laps I try to find someone who is just faster than I feel like pushing and grab their rear wheel as they pass and try to keep up...this is most fun when it is a chick...

    --Billy


    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    - Douglas Adams

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TrevorInSoCal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    230

    Dunno about the big guy, but...

    Quote Originally Posted by The Tree
    A good portion of the riders in my class said nothing as they passed, but the ones toward the end all had words of encouragement for me. So ride the downhill no problem I get to a switch back that goes uphill and I stand to make the turn and some jerk tries to pass me in the switch back, and he says, "I weigh 200lbs you need to get out of my way." I should have let it go, but I said, "why didn't you pass me on the downhill, I only have one gear?"
    the other guys were probably just concentrating on their ride.

    Sounds like the big guy was kinda rude, but why so upset that none of the other riders said anything? It *is* a race after-all, not a social ride. Chances are they were suffering and didn't have the energy (or breath) for too many extra words. If I see a guy suffering out on the course I'll probably give him a few words of encouragement but, I'm not gonna stop and have a conversation. Other times I'm suffering myself and honestly don't have the breath to speak. Chances are the lead riders who didn't say anything had other things on their mind like catching that guy in front of them who was puting all his energy towards not getting caught...

    -Trevor

  8. #8
    Pull my finger...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    84

    Race yakking

    Hey, don't worry about the talking. I compete in a regular series here and the actual 'racers' never talk - they are primed and really to go right NOW. The big guy was a bit of a goof - what does weighing 200lbs have to do with getting out of his way? Is he implying that if one weighs under 200lbs you don't have to move over? Weird one. Don't let it bother you though, maybe his brain was oxygen deficient from the pace.

    One of the races I was on, myself and this guy ahead of me were being held up by a kid (maybe 12 yrs old) going up a switchbacky climby thing, and the guy started yelling at the kid to get out of his way! I was still thinking straight and yelled at the guy to settle down, it's a friggin kid and we're out there to have fun, the hardcore racers have already left us for dead. Sheesh, takes all kinds.

    And at race pace, it can be hard to talk. Me: huff huff huff ON huff huff YOUR huff huff LEFT huff huff...

    DobeManSS


    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorInSoCal
    the other guys were probably just concentrating on their ride.

    Sounds like the big guy was kinda rude, but why so upset that none of the other riders said anything? It *is* a race after-all, not a social ride. Chances are they were suffering and didn't have the energy (or breath) for too many extra words. If I see a guy suffering out on the course I'll probably give him a few words of encouragement but, I'm not gonna stop and have a conversation. Other times I'm suffering myself and honestly don't have the breath to speak. Chances are the lead riders who didn't say anything had other things on their mind like catching that guy in front of them who was puting all his energy towards not getting caught...

    -Trevor

  9. #9
    A plain old rider
    Reputation: The Tree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    50

    Today looks different

    Today with a little more energy and a clear head (not a full night sleep though), I see that I did have a good time suffering and those that gave me encouragement made it worth while. I think the 200 pounder was just a jerk or mad that I wasn't 200 lbs. I am still waiting to see the full results to see how I finished and how many of the group that burned past me didn't.

    Thanks everybody for the input.
    The greatest gift you ever give is your honest self.

    Fred Rogers

  10. #10
    try driving your car less
    Reputation: jh_on_the_cape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,097
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tree
    The disappointment comes from some of the other riders.
    yup. nose to the stem toughy racers. i wont drive many miles to pay many dollars to wait around then race. it's not for everyone. dont feel like a loser because you dont like to race. plenty of highly skilled riders dont race. that said, there are usually some fun-but-competitive races around like 24 hour events and such that are usually a good time and worth checking out.
    Only boring people get bored.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9
    i race sport men about your age also. its allways a good idea to try and do some preriding before the race if you can, just so you dont have any big surprises. most of the time at the start of my races about half the guys are talking and very loose,,,the more races you attend more than likey you will get to recognize more people and strike up some coversation...remember during the races that most are pumped up on adrenaline and most likely out of breath... racing motivates me to train harder and keep my weight down to stay competitive... keep at it!!

  12. #12
    SS Madness
    Reputation: xjohnnyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    102

    Racing SS

    I just crossed over to SSing last Nov. I had been racing squishy bikes at the Sea Otter, Downieville Classic, etc for a couple of years. My first recollection of noticing a SS was when I was climbing that godforsaken 8 mile hill at Downieville and got passed by the cutest lil blonde....looking past her physical attributes (I was trying to stay on her tail after all) I started wondering what gear she was in to be pulling away from me. To my surprise she had only ONE! I thought...that is for me...if only I could catch her. Alas...she dusted me and I could only hold the memory of her rear end....and that single speed.

    So now I am fully converted...and raced this year at Sea Otter in the SS category beg/sport. It is quite the category. No age categories, no skill level categories (beg & sport are mixed together), just a lot of SSers all hyped up! If you think about it...no SSer is a beginner. We all got into SSing from some other form of biking. To want to race SS you gotta be a pretty good mt biker already or why else would you be doing it? My point is, it is a rough category to race in. I am just happy to be in the category at all...I dig SSing and will never go back.

    I have had jerks, rudeness, encouragement, silence, indifference, gabbyness, etc during races. Different people make the world go round. I know at the start of a race it gets quiet, everyone anticipating. During a race there are all types. In the end, it is how I feel inside, whether I did my best. Leave the jerks be, don't be one yourself and make it better next time.

    Peace.

  13. #13
    I like to ride bikes!
    Reputation: scoutdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    220

    Set an example...

    My wife and I race almost every weekend all season long. I have been doing it for over 15 years. I think I can say I have nearly seen it all. I've seen finish line hugs and finish line fist fights. Alot of people get real nervous at the start line (beginners and experts). So sometimes it is rather quite. Personally I always wish the person next to me good luck. That sometime starts a small coversation. The more you race the more confortable you will become with the formats and other racers. 99% of the people out racing are there for fun so I'm not sure why there are so many bad attitudes, but I say stay home if ya can't play nice! I always encourage others out on the course. Good line, nice bike, great climbing are words that I often use.

    Have fun

  14. #14
    formerly Giantxc
    Reputation: MrXC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    649
    Yeah you think that's bad...

    About 1/4 of the way into my race yesterday I literally had some F'er try to push me off a tight section of singletrack. Shortly after a long dirt road section, the guy called to pass and I told him I'd stay to the right and pass as soon as he has room. I'm taking bad lines for about 200 meters so this guy can pass, he doesn't pass. We exit the tight single track for a very short wide section, again I stay right and he doesn't pass. We enter another tight singletrack climb and the guy starts to get pissed, telling everyone to get off the trail so he could ride by. Now at this point I'm still doing well in my race right on the wheel of 2-3 guys in my class (SS Open) so I say again, I'll stay right, when you have room go. He gets more pissed and starts yelling, No Get Off the F'in Trail. Then all of a sudden I feel a hand pushing me from the left. He didn't knock me down or anything, but he sure was trying. After the race, I was telling the story to a friend and another SS'er who was well ahead of me at this point comes over and says "Oh yeah that sport class guy?" Turns out to be the same guy.

    Some people just amaze me. I passed plenty of people and got passed by plenty of others without altercation by simply saying "when it's wide enough I'd like to go by on the left" or something to that effect. I really wish I got the guy's number to get him DQ'd. I hope someone did.

  15. #15
    Pull my finger...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    84
    It may be dirty, but what that guy needed was your rear wheel making some solid contact with his front. Do it right and he'll go down like a sack of potatoes >:

    DobeManSS

    Quote Originally Posted by MrXC
    Yeah you think that's bad...

    About 1/4 of the way into my race yesterday I literally had some F'er try to push me off a tight section of singletrack. Shortly after a long dirt road section, the guy called to pass and I told him I'd stay to the right and pass as soon as he has room. I'm taking bad lines for about 200 meters so this guy can pass, he doesn't pass. We exit the tight single track for a very short wide section, again I stay right and he doesn't pass. We enter another tight singletrack climb and the guy starts to get pissed, telling everyone to get off the trail so he could ride by. Now at this point I'm still doing well in my race right on the wheel of 2-3 guys in my class (SS Open) so I say again, I'll stay right, when you have room go. He gets more pissed and starts yelling, No Get Off the F'in Trail. Then all of a sudden I feel a hand pushing me from the left.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    96
    That guy's 'tude sucked big.
    He won the Sport class by a huge margin - total sandbag - spent the whole race screaming at people - he even tried to push me on the gravel road near the finish!
    Then had the audacity to take the most expensive prize on the table and took 2 pizzas when they were giving out the leftovers!
    Unbelieveable.
    Write the race promoter and tell them to bump him up to expert for the next in the series. I did, and it takes a whole lot for me to do something like that. I've never seen that kind of behavior at a race.

  17. #17
    Complete Bastard
    Reputation: mward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,282
    I am amazed at the things people tell happened in races on mtbr. Nothing like that has ever happened at any of the races I attend in the midwest. Everyone is nice, most people say hi or thanks when passing, everyone is polite, we all talk before the race start. I can't figure it out. I'm glad I live here in the great flyover. If I felt some dude pushing me there'd be fisticuffs on the trail.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lambone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    511
    Time to move out West!

  19. #19
    Pain-meister!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    176
    Ahhh....racing....takes all types. This is the 12th year that my wife and I have been racing (Scoutdog, I think some of us are getting OLD!), and we have both seen all types. At the front of the pack, firmly asking someone from another class to yield the trail is important, as one certainly doesn't want to have the outcome decided by a different class. Further back, it is a different issue; ride and let ride. Racing around the southeast a long time, you get to know most of the other racers, and it's not too much of a problem. As an over 40+ expert, I have passed my share of younger guys; after a few races, most are very helpful AND encouraging when you pass (often making remarks about hoping to be in this kind of shape when they are older!).

    Since shifting to racing SS some of the time, it is a bit different, as we're mixed in with the sport racers. Unfortunately, it seems that there are more attitude problems in the sport class than among the experts...and it is HARD to pass with only one gear! Or, if you are racing SS against geared guys, that brings another whole set of issues.

    As a side note, we need to convince the GA series to add a SS class next season! They haven't done this yet, whereas TN has, and some of the other races do as well. I had toyed with going over to Gainesville for that race this weekend...

  20. #20
    Your bike sucks
    Reputation: Carl Mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,609
    "I weigh 200lbs you need to get out of my way."

    Is it possible that this guy was a clydesdale who was trying to be cute and actually meant "I'm in a different category - let me pass"?

    Strange.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SoloWithOthers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    216
    Yeah.. I was thinking that too.... his head may not have been clear... or his english not very good. If he was the lead in Master's Clyde he was prob concerned with not getting balled up with the back of the class that started ahead of him. If he passed you and you never saw him again that was prob the case.

  22. #22
    A plain old rider
    Reputation: The Tree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    50
    He was yelling at a lot of people a head of me. It was pretty obvious that it was his attitude that was bad not the way he was saying move.
    The greatest gift you ever give is your honest self.

    Fred Rogers

  23. #23
    Complete Bastard
    Reputation: mward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,282
    Tree, if you ever make it out to Missouri be sure to race in one of the heartland series races. It'd be a whole world apart from the attitudes you're experiencing there.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SoloWithOthers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    216
    That would be a judgement you would have to make... since you were there and I was not... I can't join you in that judgement.

    Anyway.. ride the SS class. They tend to have the most fun as a group.

  25. #25
    -arschloch-
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    867

    sh!t happens

    randomn anecdote: once in a race 'back in the day' a rider behind me hollered at a rider in front of me, 'hey get on your bike and ride it, this isn't sport class, you know!' we were climbing this ungodly steep, sandy and loose climb at the beginning of a race. it was an absolute mob scene, that anyone was still riding was nothing but luck. well, eventually the loud mouth got a couple of lengths past me and fell over. you know what i said as i rode by.....?

    pointless pontification: ok, racing generally means competing to cover a certain distance in the shortest time. while competing doesn't necessarily mean that one has to be unfriendly, it generally means that there is a good bit of adrenaline mixed in with exhaustion. both adrenaline and exhaustion make people behave silly...or even poorly. most (generalization, i know) people who behave like this aren't really aszholes, they're just caught up in the moment. also, competition sometimes leads to frustration, which really makes people behave badly.

    my point is that you should not take personally or let it ruin your fun. it is just the nature of the game. but remember if someone wants to take racing super seriously and be very absorbed in what they're doing, thus not talking or being particularly social, that is their perogative and their right.

    it takes all kinds....i think someone said that already.
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    504
    For those who are defending these sort of "focussed" attitudes claiming this is the mindset of a good racer, remember The Tree said this is beginner class, it's not like it's pro/elite national series race.

    The real trouble is that there are arrogant arseholes everywhere, no matter what you do. It's usually best to ignore them, or be nice to them.

  27. #27
    -arschloch-
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    867
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolo
    For those who are defending these sort of "focussed" attitudes claiming this is the mindset of a good racer, remember The Tree said this is beginner class, it's not like it's pro/elite national series race.

    The real trouble is that there are arrogant arseholes everywhere, no matter what you do. It's usually best to ignore them, or be nice to them.
    i agree with you, but just because a person is a beginner does not mean that they cannot / do not / should not focus on riding hard and being competitive. a beginner race is still a race.

    btw, i never said nor implied anything about 'good racers'.....nor am i trying to justify aszholish behaviour.
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

Similar Threads

  1. 1st time dual slalom race....What do i need to know?
    By The Dude in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 11:31 AM
  2. Belated Tsali KnobScorcher race report (pics!!)
    By *rt* in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 07:32 AM
  3. Belated Tsali KnobScorcher race report (pics!)
    By *rt* in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 10:31 AM
  4. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 10:34 AM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 12:43 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.