Like my PINK SS crosser?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Like my PINK SS crosser?

This one started life as a KHS Montana mountain bike I picked up super cheap, in beautiful marbled pink. Looooong horizontal dropouts got me thinking about what might be lying around the garage that would fit. Here it is with Roval 700C tubulars w/18T freewheel, Tufo Elite 32s, Shimano 600 cranks w/40T ring, ITM Millenium bars, Cane Creek SCR-5 levers, and Tektro CNC brakes that fit 26" or 29" wheels. Not enough clearance on the fork for a big 29" wheel, but the geometry is better suited to 'cross anyway. Rides sweet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    nice....me likey.

post a pick of your voodoo loa. that thing is dope (even with all the gears)

cheers,
    kam (the guy that was asking about the offset brake stop on your loa, and the guy still waiting for his custom steel desalvo ss crosser).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Loa, just for Kam

I know it's not the right forum but Kam asked for a photo of the Loa so here it is. My apologies for the road tires; this was taken during winter training season.

brother on a mission
    Quote Originally Posted by useyourdagger
    This one started life as a KHS Montana mountain bike I picked up super cheap, in beautiful marbled pink. Looooong horizontal dropouts got me thinking about what might be lying around the garage that would fit. Here it is with Roval 700C tubulars w/18T freewheel, Tufo Elite 32s, Shimano 600 cranks w/40T ring, ITM Millenium bars, Cane Creek SCR-5 levers, and Tektro CNC brakes that fit 26" or 29" wheels. Not enough clearance on the fork for a big 29" wheel, but the geometry is better suited to 'cross anyway. Rides sweet.
    Nice bike. Do you have any more details on those brakes? Are they still available. I have a MTB frame I would liek to put 700cm tires on, but It will be a beater commuter/cross rig, and I can not bring myself to cough up $100 for one pair of pauls brakes. I would love to know if there is a cheaper alternative.

Thanks,

GF

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

brakes

They're called Tektro RPB CNC brakes, and come with Kool Stop pads. Some guy (username chasertech) sells them on ebay for $27.95 a pair or so. They're super light and work very well. Depending on the frame, I've been able to get great pad contact on most rims, but not 100% of the time, so be aware of that. You may have to grind the brake pads at a slight angle to get good contact. But even with a slight angle the soft Kool Stop pads have always had plenty of stopping power. I use them on my 'cross bike as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Nice work, well done.

Do you notice much, if any, decrease in stopping power with the pads mounted that much farther from the canti pivot?

brother on a mission
    Thanks for the information.

GF

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    I certainly do like your pink CXer!
    I really like your inventive spirit in making a one off rig!
    (oh yeah, your Loa is badass no matter how you slice it!)

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...