Like I need a reason- Mtbr.com
    Sweep the leg!

Like I need a reason (it's all true)

A neighbor of mine works for Trek. Last fall I was taking my daughter to her Saturday morning soccer game when I see his driveway filled with bikes and bike parts. So I slow down enough to let her out at her game and I hook a U turn back to the driveway sale. He's a true bike nut, like me, so it's a good thing. I poke around a bit and get a few odds and ends for the pocket change I had. There's a few of us hanging there drinking our morning coffee so it's all very social.

I eventually ask him if he's got any singlespeed specific stuff among all the unseen basement storage. He mentions he has a King rear disc hub on his desk at work that he'd sell me for $50 or trade me for something he wants. I tell him I'll think about it and so off I go to watch the end of my daughter's game.

Fast forward to a month ago. I stop by his house and ask if he still has the King hub and if he'd be interested in trading it for a pair of Campy Victory high flange hubs. He invites me down to his basement lair to see if the hub is among his parts. It is. It turns out to be a King prototype rear disc hub #D0049. So he gives me the hub and I return the next day with the hubs, still laced to old Trek Sonic rims.

That night I poke around King's web site and I see they offer a rebuild service. I don't have all the tools needed to rebuild a King hub and I think $25 + parts is a good deal. So I sent it off two weeks ago.

Then I get a phone call. "um hi. um. Where did you get this hub?"

Not that I couldn't have made up some line of BS I decide "the truth will set me free"

me- "I traded a pair of Campy hubs for it"

KK- "with who?"

me-"Whom?"

KK-"yeah, with whom?"

me-"a neighbor"

KK-"where did the neighbor get it?"

me-"I'll bet he got it from you. I know he works at Trek corporate, so there's no telling how it came to him. Is there a problem?"

KK-"well, not really. We've changed quite a few things in the King rear hub after that prototype was made. We really can't overhaul it and send it back. Chris took a look at it and this is what we'd like to do for you."

at which point she goes over all the things that are worn within the hub I sent her and what it needs. To make good they offered to rebuild it with new stuff, like a current hubshell, and other odds and ends... for ~$150. So I added a headset base and a titanium cassette lockring bringing my total to ~$200.

Which will ship tomorrow.

It does make me wonder. Where did that hub come from? Did some famous racer use it? was it snuck out KK's factory under cover of darkness? did aliens get their slimey appendages on it and it fell to earth at Trek? should I get checked for interstellar radiation exposure?

Anyway, I'll be building it up for duty as a race wheel on the Rig.

I look forward to having a very noisy hub.
    Last edited by Caffeine Powered; 02-13-2007 at 05:52 PM. Reason: forgot to put foil on my helmet, them alien rays and what not
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member

nice story

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered

Then I get a phone call. "um hi. um. Where did you get this hub?"
    As I was reading it, I curled up in front of the fireplace with Sarah, and we kissed slowly, then harder, then...

I have a prototype ENO this n' that, nothing to give to the average Joe. It is for me to have as a collector's item. If anyone were to get their hands on it, they'd be like "huh?"

I do like your story though...gotta go back to Sarah..I told her I was getting some ice cream and wine...

Known Mountainbiker

Good deal, or was it......

The story about aliens may be true. It sounds like you got a new hub for $150 with shipping. But..........

That demo hub was probably worth like a million dollars. Sort of like someone selling a Van Gogh at a garage sale for fifty-cents. CK didn't rebuild it; they just pulled a new one off the shelf and carefully put the priceless #0049 in a vacuum display case.

But just to be safe, I'd keep the foil on your helmet.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    gotta go back to Sarah..I told her I was getting some ice cream and wine...

mmmmm... merlot floats.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by cazloco

But just to be safe, I'd keep the foil on your helmet.

Caz
    shiny side out
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member

actually...

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    mmmmm... merlot floats.
    I've been doing some work for NAHBS and other freelance stuff. I had some brats, green beans, and macaroni for dinner. Oh, and a Spotted Cow glass o' brew.
    That was an hour ago.

In the small room where we keep the iMac, I had to leave. My buttcheeks are making a brown symphony number 2.

Members who have read this thread: 0