Lightest SS frame?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Lightest SS frame?

What are some of the lightest singlespeed specific frames available? I'm considering building my next bike with a focus of being light. My current frame is a Niner One 9 RDO which is supposed to weigh 1235g. Are there any significantly lighter than this?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    You are venturing down a dark path.

Weight Weenies

Stronger legs are cheaper....
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57ļ36' Highlands, Scotland

Always in the wrong gear
    I don't know if you're gonna find much lighter than a carbon SS frame. Niner's are damn light.

IMO, a hundred grams, or even two hundred is gonna pale in comparison to anything you do with building light wheels, fork, seat post/saddle and cranks. Those are (in my experience) where you get the most bang for your buck.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Agreed, I would rather have a slightly heavier and hopefully more durable frame. Then really focus on the components for weight savings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    Are there any significantly lighter than this?
    no.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    My '01 Schwinn Homegrown frame is aluminum and weighs 2.9 lbs (~1320 grams). Not SS specific, so no horiz. dropouts and tug bolts/nuts. But sets up very nicely as an SS and weighs in at 19 lbs without breaking the bank on components.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    no.
    While the other posts in this thread are somewhat helpful, I thank you for actually answering my question I've been looking for lighter SS frames, and was wondering if I was overlooking something.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    How light is the new Canyon frame? I thought it was even lighter. Might have to work to make is SS compatible

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've got a 2011 carbon s-works stumpumper ss that weighs 1200g. That's the lightest I've ever seen. The one 9 rdos were more like 1500g with their ebbs.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/niner-bikes/9...ne-939112.html
    Got a scale shot of it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    While the other posts in this thread are somewhat helpful, I thank you for actually answering my question I've been looking for lighter SS frames, and was wondering if I was overlooking something.
    My answer hinges on the fact that you used the word "significantly." Level of significance varies person to person but I personally don't think chasing weight savings on the frame when you already have one that light is practical.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    My answer hinges on the fact that you used the word "significantly." Level of significance varies person to person but I personally don't think chasing weight savings on the frame when you already have one that light is practical.
    I plan to invest a lot in the wheels and other components. Just want to make sure I start with the best foundation possible. I really like my niner, but I'm working to replace it in order to get a little better high speed handling and lighter weight.

For me, I would consider frame weight savings of 1/2 pound to be significant. I do not want to sacrifice much rideability though. I have around 1,600 miles on my niner so far, and have hit plenty of jumps and rock gardens at speed. So far I've have 0 issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    sorry, I lied...there is this at around 900 grams... https://www.opencycle.com/oneplus

Always in the wrong gear
    For me, I would consider frame weight savings of 1/2 pound to be significant.
    significant on the scale, insignificant on the trail.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

Waiting for Godot
    If your looking at the whole package a carbon cannondale with lefty is lighter than a carbon frame and regular fork. Then again, just go with a carbon fork and your lighter with your frame that you got.

bike rider
    The Open One needs a chain tensioner hanging off the derailleur hanger but the Focus Raven is 885g and then add a Beer Components or Niner or Wheels Mfg PF30 EBB and you're looking at a 975g SS frame. It's what I'm building next. I have built some light bicycles in the past. Search Mattkock on here. I built a 13.91lb. Niner Air 9 Carbon with a 1410g frame so this new build should be Freaking Light.
    Last edited by mattkock; 05-11-2017 at 07:56 PM.
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

Specialized
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkock View Post
    The Open One needs a chain tensioner hanging off the derailleur hanger but the Focus Raven is 885g and then add a Beer Components or Niner or Wheels Mfg PF30 EBB and you're looking at a 975g SS frame. It's what I'm building next. I have built some light bicycles in the past. Search Mattkock on here. I built a 13.91lb. Niner Air 9 Carbon with a 1410g frame so this new build should be Freaking Light.
    I'm waiting to see the weight you get yours to . Will be interesting .

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Post a pic when it's done. If you want super light get a carbon gravel bike frame and build it up without the drop bars and mtn brakes. That'll be light.
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn